Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2011, 11:25 AM

16 posts, read 31,601 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I'm back working in Manhattan (after a long hiatus) and at the same time, I'm looking for a home. Right now I work in the Financial District, but I don't know that I'll be there forever. I'm ALL the way downtown (Water Street).

That said, I'm looking for homes. I want good schools, four bedrooms, basement (finished is not important right away), and more modern building -- forced air heat/air, 2 car garage etc. Thus far, I've been able to find what I want in central jersey, with taxes being a hair under 10k/year, and priced in the 450k range. I looked in North Jersey (Fair Lawn, Rutherford) but found the houses are FAR too old, and need too much work. I prefer colonials because my kids are young, and I don't want them on different floors.

That said, any other suggestions? I am open to Long Island, or whatever as long as the door-to-door isn't more than an hour and a half. Right now I take the train into Newark and then take the Path, then walk 20 minutes. It's about an hour and a half for me from central jersey (roughly). The *EASE* of the commute is important... I don't want to transfer 4 times because then it's going to wear on me. If i get an hour on the train into NY Penn, then on a subway downtown, that's not too bad. But where should I look? And for my price range?

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 03:24 PM

715 posts, read 2,509,754 times
Look in to Monroe-Woodbury in Orange County (served by Harriman NJT, 1 hr to Penn). Great schools and in your price range.

I would also look in to the Mahwah/Ramsey area of North Jersey (served by Ramsey Route 17, 25-30 min to Penn). Great schools and in your price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York