Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 09:51 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
ckhthankgod - thanks for the links! I've been checking them out as well. You are THE link man! Wait, I hope you're a guy....if not I'm sooooooo sorry!
It's alright and you are right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 07:48 AM

119 posts, read 429,358 times
You might want to check out the pet boarding facilities already in the area. There are 4 advertised in the area yellow pages, and more that don't bother to advertise there. You also have to check out the rates. Someone opened up a boarding/grooming facility recently in the country, and charges $20 a day per dog, which is not affordable in this area. It's also an area that most people barter with neighbors or relatives to provide pet care when they are away. My recommendation would be to check the yellow pages, and call the potential competition to ask their rates, and to find out about summer availability of boarding slots, so you can see if there will be sufficient business.

Depending on where you are in Herkimer County, it's pretty acceptable in most rural areas to leave the dog or dogs chained outside to a doghouse 24/7 year round. These are not the type of people who will invest in pet care when they go away. You will also need to check vaccination records; although some of the locales offer low cost rabies clinics, not all do.

What kind of job will your husband be taking in Herkimer County?

Old 06-11-2013, 05:02 PM

4 posts, read 6,275 times
Default Herkimer Dolgeville.... HELP

Hello All!

My family is looking to relocate Upstate NY. We have been wanting to go for Years! We are looking forward to the serenity of the country. We are not obnoxious ppl and we do mind our business.

We do have a child in elementary school, so school is important.
We did find a home in Dolgeville. Can anyone please tell me if it is a nice place to raise a family? we do not need employment in the town. We did hear about the factories going out of business. How sad!

Your honestly would be greatly appreciated!

Old 06-11-2013, 07:10 PM

I think you will be fine. Seems like your usually small town America type of place. It is known for supporting its HS Football program and it is where Adironack Baseball Bats are/were made. I believe that there has been renovations made to a building which houses apartments now in the CBD. Here is some information: Dolgeville Central School

Schools in Dolgeville Central School District - Dolgeville, NY | GreatSchools

Dolgeville, New York U.S.A.

Alfred Dolge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dolgeville Football

BTW- It is pronounced dollj-ville.

Old 06-11-2013, 07:48 PM

Thank You soo much! I really appreciate you taking the time out of your evening to reply to me. I Love Upstate NY. I am just nervous to make a move which is to be expected. But I have had it with City life and the selfishness of the people here. I can't wait to go in my yard and look at nature!
My Aunt is in St.Johnsville

However.. in Dolgeville, How far are the stores? Would I have to go to the Price Choppers on 5? Or is there anything closer?

I know the School is right down the road but we just put our son in Catholic School.. I personally am Lutheran. We are up in the air on what to do with that.

I heard there is a school in Little Falls. I heard St.Johnsville and Oppenheim have merged. Since I am not so familiar with the area, knowing the inside and out of things.... Is this a good thing? (the merge)

Thank You Again!

Old 06-12-2013, 09:06 AM

There is a Big M in Dolgeville and I believe that Little Falls and Herkimer have grocery stores as well. Mohawk and Ilion have merged as well. Herkimer has a Super Wal*Mart and Herb Philipson's, among some other stores. I believe that the closest mall is Sangertown Square Mall in New Hartford just outside of Utica.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:54 AM

1,544 posts, read 3,620,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynellen View Post
Thank You soo much! I really appreciate you taking the time out of your evening to reply to me. I Love Upstate NY. I am just nervous to make a move which is to be expected. But I have had it with City life and the selfishness of the people here. I can't wait to go in my yard and look at nature!
My Aunt is in St.Johnsville

However.. in Dolgeville, How far are the stores? Would I have to go to the Price Choppers on 5? Or is there anything closer?

I know the School is right down the road but we just put our son in Catholic School.. I personally am Lutheran. We are up in the air on what to do with that.

I heard there is a school in Little Falls. I heard St.Johnsville and Oppenheim have merged. Since I am not so familiar with the area, knowing the inside and out of things.... Is this a good thing? (the merge)

Thank You Again!
In addition to the Big M in Dolgeville, a new $5 million Price Chopper is currently under construction in downtown Little Falls which is a lot closer to Dolgeville than the Price Shopper in the shopping center on Route 5 in Nelliston. The merger of St. Johnsville and Oppenheim is a reflection of the declining school enrollment in the Mohawk Valley. School mergers and consolidations are not a recent development and have been going on for more than a half century in plenty of small towns across the country. While I wouldn't say the demographic factors that ultimately led to the decision (ie. declining enrollment) is a good thing, both schools do pretty well based on the resources that they have and a fairly large percentage of the students pursue a college education.

If you're a Lutheran, I would highly recommend a visit to the iconic Palatine Church in St. Johnsville. Built in 1770, this church is a local landmark and has services and events during the summer months.
Old Palatine Church: Home. To my knowledge, there are no Lutheran elementary, middle or high schools in the area, however there are around a dozen Lutheran churches (ELCA and Missouri synods) scattered across western Montgomery and Herkimer counties including two in Little Falls, and one in St. Johnsville.

My grandparents grew up in St. Johnsville and my grandfather lived in Dolgeville for a time as a kid. I have some extended family in the Little Falls area. I find the people to be laid back, genuine, and very nice in the area. Like many parts of upstate New York the area is somewhat economically depressed, however the countryside is beautiful and people I have found to be very friendly.

Best of luck in your move!

Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 PM

RollsRoyce

Thank You for all of your information! I really appreciate you taking time to reply and share.
Wow the church in Palatine sounds great! Built in 1770!! Awesome! Our Lutheran Church here in downstate is really struggling to get back together from the extensive damage we all endured from Hurricane Sandy. It is very sad the finances are not there and we are all hoping the Church will survive.
Here in Queens where I am, It is mostly Catholic Churches. When I went Upstate, I saw the large amount of Lutheran Churches. Yay!

That is Great News that a Price Chopper is Under Construction! Whew! I am happy I do not have to go on 5 all the way to Nelliston. Speaking of Nelliston, when I come up I stay at the Heritage Meadows Farm. The owners Judy and Steve are lovely, warm, hardworking people. She actually has a room dedicated to Nelliston, (I believe it was her home at one time)
I Love the Farm Houses they have soo much charm.

Speaking of Little Falls, we went to Beardslee Castle. That was nice. And in Little Falls, there was a home I fell in love with across from the Mansion. But I missed out on it. It sold! Oh well.
I too from what I have seen and experienced, the people seem nice and friendly. I do know that ppl are a little leary of ppl from downstate. But I am not your typical downstate type of person. I hate to say it but I don't care for many of them either. But I do believe that there are good and bad in all places.

Thank You Very Much!
Have a Great Day!! :0)

Old 06-12-2013, 02:47 PM

CKHthankgod

Quick Question, Do you know more information on the apartments built? and where exactly in Dolgeville is it? Is is close to Route 29? Is it a Good thing for the County? Is is a reputable place meaning the type of ppl that live there. I had heard the Government was sending alot of undesirables to Upstate NY and I just hope Dolgeville is not one of them. That bothers me because I am not that type of person. I just hope I do not get stereotyped just for being a "downstater"
People not having money does not make a person. I just want to make myself clear on that. My family have always been hard working, ppl working 2 jobs, 6 days a week. So nothing has come easy for us. And I know Upstate, there are MANY hardworking ppl. The farmers, the Amish. etc. Who I have much respect for!

Thank You Again!!

Old 06-12-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolynellen View Post
CKHthankgod

Quick Question, Do you know more information on the apartments built? and where exactly in Dolgeville is it? Is is close to Route 29? Is it a Good thing for the County? Is is a reputable place meaning the type of ppl that live there. I had heard the Government was sending alot of undesirables to Upstate NY and I just hope Dolgeville is not one of them. That bothers me because I am not that type of person. I just hope I do not get stereotyped just for being a "downstater"
People not having money does not make a person. I just want to make myself clear on that. My family have always been hard working, ppl working 2 jobs, 6 days a week. So nothing has come easy for us. And I know Upstate, there are MANY hardworking ppl. The farmers, the Amish. etc. Who I have much respect for!

Thank You Again!!
Here is an article about the apartments: Mill to be made into apartment complex - LeaderHerald.com | News, Sports, Jobs, Community - The Leader Herald

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 06-12-2013 at 05:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York