Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 02:16 PM

491 posts, read 1,434,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
Southern Erie county has 17 Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations (CAFO's) or Factory Farms. Many more are being built and long dormant dairy farms are coming back online due to record high milk prices and increased government welfare payments. Almost ALL exisiting factory farms in erie county are expanding. You don't want to live anywhere near one of these Hell places because they store millions of gallons of cow waste for months at a time, then they turn it into a liquid slurry and tanker truck it out to the fields near your home to spread. You can smell it for miles many times a year. They saturate the ground with this putrid filth that smells nothing like manure. It's a chemical stench that stays on your clothing and you can taste it in your mouth. The farm itself can be smelled for miles even without the spreading. Take a drive out to Eden, North Collins, Brant, Collins or Lawtons New York and see what they look like and smell like for yourself. You'll notice one common thing about homes near a factory farm..........lots of FOR SALE signs all over the place. You've been warned.

For some info on living near a factory farm, go to FactoryFarm.org or do and internet search under the topic CAFO HELL.
Ive lived in Chautauqua County my entire life, I know all about farm smells Before I moved to pittsburgh I lived in a farmhouse on an old 50 acre farm, and there are a few factory farms within smelling distance. Yes it does smell, but not as bad as a city. and its not even all the time...

And still, there are tons of places in these counties that aren't close to any of these "factory farms"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 02:20 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,952 times
Why is every thread about NYS turning into a poop discussion?

Old 09-22-2007, 02:27 PM

148 posts, read 648,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oktaren View Post
Ive lived in Chautauqua County my entire life, I know all about farm smells Before I moved to pittsburgh I lived in a farmhouse on an old 50 acre farm, and there are a few factory farms within smelling distance. Yes it does smell, but not as bad as a city.
50 cows (pastured cows) is one thing, 1500 cows that never see the light of day on a couple of acres of land being force feed until they burst is another. The era of the small dairy farm is over. One 1500 dairy operation replaces a dozen small ones that lived in harmony with the neighbors. Now they are bringing HOG factory farms into NY.....did you know that? HOG CAFOs are being driven out of the southern states and NY is open ground for them. Neighbors are fighting one right now near Montezuma Swamp near Auburn. Dairy CAFOs are horrible but HOG CAFOs are as bad as it gets.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 09-22-2007 at 04:14 PM..

Old 09-22-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
50 cows (pastured cows) is one thing, 1500 cows that never see the light of day on a couple of acres of land being force feed until they burst is another. The era of the small dairy farm is over. One 1500 dairy operation replaces a dozen small ones that lived in harmony with the neighbors. Now they are bringing HOG factory farms into NY.....did you know that? HOG CAFOs are being driven out of the southern states and NY is open ground for them. Neighbors are fighting one right now near Montezuma Swamp near Auburn. Dairy CAFOs are horrible but HOG CAFOs are as bad as it gets.
Yeah, I know, like I already said, I lived in the area of them. It stinks, I won't deny it, but it isn't the end of the world, at least for me, I would rather breathe that in than the crap here in Pittsburghs air. If its warm outside I can barely breathe here. And not just because it stinks, but because it HURTS to do so.

Last edited by bellafinzi; 09-22-2007 at 04:14 PM..

Old 09-22-2007, 04:12 PM

I hear you. Pittsbrugh can be pretty humid and the pollutants hang in the valleys. Good luck with your health. I think it's safe to say everyone should do research before moving to a location. I found out the hard way. Just trying to help others avoid my mistake

Old 09-22-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I hear you. Pittsbrugh can be pretty humid and the pollutants hang in the valleys. Good luck with your health. I think it's safe to say everyone should do research before moving to a location. I found out the hard way. Just trying to help others avoid my mistake
I agree, I honestly can't wait much longer to get the hell out of here and back to western new york!

Old 09-23-2007, 07:38 PM

52 posts, read 246,351 times
Schoharie, NY is still affordable and rural with easy access to the Capital District via I-88.

Old 09-23-2007, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYS of Mind View Post
Schoharie, NY is still affordable and rural with easy access to the Capital District via I-88.
Love Schoharie but what about that MINE thing? Drove by last month and NO MINE EXPANSION and SAVE OUR SCHOHARIE SIGNS were all over the place. Love the Glass Bar.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:49 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,905,742 times
Quote:
Western NY is loaded with Dairy Factory Farms called CAFO's (Concentrated Animal Feeding Operations). They are all expanding due to record high milk prices. Do an internet search under "CAFO NEW YORK POLLUTION" to get an idea of what they are like. You don't want to live within 5 miles of one of these. They stink to the point that using your yrad for recreational use is impossible and well water is frequently contaminated with coliform and E coli. Make sure you get something in writing from your real estate agent about odors and well water pollution before you sign anything. The realtors like to hide behind the Agricultural District clause in the mountains of documents you sign at closing. Some, not all but some realtors will tell you anything to get you to buy a home near a factory farm. Buyer BEWARE.
New York seeks to clarify West Valley cleanup responsibility Daily Record (Rochester, NY) - Find Articles

Old 09-29-2007, 02:14 PM

I went back to chautauqua county yesterday to get my car inspected and hang out with family for a bit, WOW IT SMELLED AMAZING! No pollution and all i could smell was grapes. i forgot how great it smells this time of year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York