Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2007, 07:28 AM

90 posts, read 686,553 times

Advertisements

Daily Freeman - Wind power proposals generate opposition in Catskills (http://www.dailyfreeman.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18845018&BRD=1769&PAG=461&dept_id= 74969&rfi=6 - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2007, 07:43 AM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,921,952 times
For a more in depth view of how Bovina fought and won.

Bovina Industrial Wind Energy Project - Bovina Wind News 2007 (http://www.allianceforbovina.org/html/bovina-wind-news.html#BanWindinBovina - broken link)

A good model for every town in NYS.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:59 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,679 times
Hey! Good Morning. Thanks for the link.

It was a good article, but I must correct a few statements. Bovina residents we against the turbines for many more reasons than just viewshed.
Bovina residents are very proud of the little town that has managed to survive the cycles of very prosperous to prosperous to most of the farms, all of the logging and milling closing, to a upswing in new residents and businesses. For a small, out-of-the-way town, it has managed to hang on keep all that is good here. One of those things is the mountain ranges, the very open and un-developed landscape.
However, the mountain range that was planned for the turbines IS close to homes, and would have dramatically decreased property values and interest from second homeowners and new homesteaders-a big peice of the "new" towns economic engine. Setbacks in the surrunding area for turbine development are as low as 500 ft. from a non-participating property line, 1000 to 1500 ft from a structure. THAT is not out of the way, in unpopulated areas. That is way too close for anyones good except for the leaseholder and the wind company.
Further, we are directly in the path of SEVERAL migrations-golden eagles being the most flashy, but several species of songbirds, and we have many blue herons nesting and living in our ponds and on our east branch of the Delaware River. The Audubon Society came and presented to the Town Board that turbines HERE were NOT a good idea because of our location on the migration paths-they would not support development on our range because of the signifcant chance of bat (we have a lot here) and eagle and songbird deaths. And lastly, the town board WAS, just like in the article, secured secretely by the developer. Leaseholders, leaseholding family members, etc. They were all for it. The residents did not like that ugly fact that the plan was to do whatever THEY wanted-and ignore all the taxpayers. That woke everyone up.

So, the article is very good, but misses a few key points as to why towns are rejecting this industrial development. It makes it sound like it is all viewshed, all NIMBY, all rich downstaters with country estates. That is very far from the truth-just ask the folks in Cohocton, Merideth, Stanford, Gilboa, Cherry Valley, etc. This goes far deeper than the view from the front porch. I just wanted to provide more insight for anyone reading the article and thinking that what was written was the full story.

Thanks, and enjoy the BEAUTIFUL Sunday!

Old 09-23-2007, 08:33 PM

914 posts, read 2,919,725 times
That may be true, JSN, but I think the more downstaters with country homes a town has, the better they are able to fight the wind developers. It is usually the towns that have no outside interests, i.e. part-time downstate residents, that succumb the quickest to their schemes. Whether it's because they have more money, are more opinionated, can afford their own attorneys, are better educated or whatever, but if they weren't around, the Catskills wouldn't have a chance against these slick wind salesmen. Cherry Valley, Stamford, etc. have just started to become gentrified by downstaters who have bought up the lovely homes for a song. But I don't know if there are enough of them to have an impact on the town councils when it comes to deciding for or against industrial wind projects.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:43 AM

1 posts, read 3,746 times
I'm in Livingston County now, (but did reside in Bovina Center years ago), and this region is also being inundated with the Wind Turbines. Cohocton has approved installation of a turbine "farm" much to my dismay. I know the people of Delaware County and they are a fearsome group to face. I dispute the opinion that they are better off with the gentrification from NYC emigrants. My personal observation has been that their interest is in how to make the bucolic country life more in line with the comforts of city life. Congratulations Bovina! I know how hard you fight to keep what your families have created.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:56 AM

525 posts, read 2,351,679 times
Hi Deborah! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing your local perspective with all of us. Indeed Cohocton received a royal screwing by Jack and his croonies on the town and planning boards. I am floored by the chain of events and blatent "FU" that the officials have proclaimed on the residents of the town. The one good thing, is that it is pretty obvious that the current local government will be ousted this November election. AND the construction that UPC has already begun without final approval or proper permits might make it easier to stop once the new government takes over. The folks in Cohocton are VERY well organized and are ready to fight until the end to stop this underhanded, dishonest development. UPC is already recievng fines for using the roads they do not have permits for, and I am sure all the staged areas, and cleared and soon to be blasted pads for the towers will serve as solid proof that they did not follow the "rules." Lawsuits are already flying around and will for years to come.

Come back and visit Bovina one day-things are holding on and looking up, and the local government will likely be changed up in November as well-so we shall see what is next!
The divide between locals and downstaters is being desperetly clung on to by the old-time "usual suspects" (you probably know of all of them) but Many many old-time families are supporting the effort to bring the whole town together, to work together and appreciate each other! Believe it or not! They are quiet about it, won't say it out loud on Main Street or at the dump, but in personal conversations some of the old, well-known names really do support controled growth, an open, new government, etc.! It is quiet encouraging and a good model for our neighbors!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York