Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2012, 05:55 AM

5 posts, read 10,471 times

Advertisements

We are a Florida resident right now so we have no state taxes taken from our paycheck. But we are in Oklahoma where my husband is stationed. My husband was offred a job at Fort Drum as soon as he retires in a few months. I have a ton of questions to ask so any and all help would be wonderful. We are a family of 3 my husband, myself and our 20 year old son that will be going to college in Watertown.
So here we go.
What are the state taxes from a paycheck like, are they super high? We know retirement is not taxed.
What is the cost of living there? Such as gas, food, entertainment etc? Gas here in Oklahoma is 3.53, hamburger runs about 2.20 for a pound of 81/19
We found an apartment that includes utilities so that is a blessing.
Do you have to pay property tax on a car every year when you renew the plates?
How much are car plates ?
How does car insurance work, someone told me I need to have my normal full coverage plus some other type of insurance on top of it?
Any thing else we should know about? (we have heard all the weather stories but Im looking for more info then just weather)
Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2012, 06:32 AM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
This guide should help in terms of taxes: Taxes by State: New York to Wyoming

Overall cost of living is around the national average, give or take. Some places will be lower and some a little bit over. That will depend on where you live, as housing tends to take the biggest chunk anywhere, in terms of plurality of costs.

There isn't an annual property tax, but there is a yearly inspection(about 20 dollars) and a registration fee every 2 years. NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration and Certificate of Title

NYS DMV - Vehicle Registration - Registration Fees, Vehicle Use Taxes and Supplemental Fees Passenger Vehicles

NYS DMV - Vehicle Safety, Inspection, Repairs and Dealers

As for vehicle insurance, I have USAA insurance and for 2 vehicles, it costs about $99 a month. Every situation is different. So, check with you insurance company. This may give an idea as to cost: New York Car Insurance Center - Get NY Auto Insurance Quotes from Multiple Providers at DMV.org: The DMV Made Simple

NYS DMV - Insurance

Lastly, are you going to live closer to Watertown or Syracuse? That can make a difference in terms of store offerings and perhaps price to a small degree. For instance, for grocery stores, Watertown has Hannaford, Tops and Price Chopper versus Wegmans, Tops, Price Chopper and both have Aldi and I believe a few smaller grocery store companies.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:40 AM

5 posts, read 10,471 times
Thanks a bunch for the info! We also have USAA for car insurance. Right now we pay 85 a month for full coverage. We are going to live in Evans Mills, right by post. Ive read good things about Wegmans. So excited about coming to New York.

Old 08-19-2012, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMySmallFamily View Post
Thanks a bunch for the info! We also have USAA for car insurance. Right now we pay 85 a month for full coverage. We are going to live in Evans Mills, right by post. Ive read good things about Wegmans. So excited about coming to New York.
Unfortunately, Watertown doesn't have an area Wegmans. Cicero, a northern suburb of Syracuse has the closest location. It is about an hour away. There is a Super Wal*Mart near the post gate off of Route 11 near Evans Mills.

You may like these other quaint communities in Jefferson County: The Village of Sackets Harbor NY - Experience the Treasures!

Thousand Islands – Clayton Chamber of Commerce Online Vacation Planner for the Thousand Islands Region

Thousand Islands: Cape Vincent NY - Where Lake Ontario And the St. Lawrence River Meet in the 1000 Islands

Alexandria Bay, NY

Henderson Harbor Area Chamber of Commerce: Home Page

Old 08-20-2012, 01:58 PM

655 posts, read 2,328,652 times
Default Cost Of Living - Weather - Oklahome versus Upstate New York

Hello LuvMySmallFamily,

Welcome to Upstate/Northern New York State.

City-Data Member ckhthankgod gave you some very good information.

You'll be noticing changes between Oklahoma & Upstate New York. Upstate New York: North Country/Northern New York is a much different atmosphere than Oklahoma and New York City.

Weather. More snow here in NYS. No excessive heat like Oklahoma altho we do have some days in the 90's=usually summer 85 to 93. Practically 95% tornado-free (almost zero probability) in our NYS region. Its 99.5% hurricane-free; sometimes we get a little rain from a hurricane.

I did some internet searches and I have some personal experience too about the subject of Cost Of Living.
The following is what I found. Assume that the U.S. National Overall Cost Of Living is given a Figure of 100. Then we compute the Cost Of Living for specific cities/locations versus that U.S. National Figure of 100. Figures under 100 mean a less expensive cost of living and figures above 100 are a higher cost of living than the National Average Cost Of Living.

Overall Cost Of Living>>

U.S. National Average ........ 100
Watertown/Fort Drum .......... 93
Syracuse/CNY .................... 87
Oklahoma City .................... 92
Tulsa ................................ 90

You will notice that Syracuse has a lower cost of living than Watertown/Fort Drum. It seems that the larger NYS cities have slightly lower overall prices than smaller cities & rural areas in Upstate NY. Property taxes sometimes are less expensive in rural countryside areas far-distant from large NY cities. I have a relative who lives up north in a very rural area and they own a nice home on 7 acres of land and a very large fish pond and they pay a total of about $1000 total school & town/county property taxes per year. It would be way more expensive closer to any large NY State city (5x 6x 7x more expensive)=but personally I prefer to live close to a large city.

The above figures are pretty close together which means a similar cost of living when you average-out all the prices/cost of various items/catagories of goods/services/etc. Notice that the above cities/areas all have a lower cost of living than the National Figure of 100 = lower Cost Of Living. The above figures are an overall figure. Some specific items/things may be higher priced here in NYS and certain different items/things may be higher in Oklahoma. Gas for your car is probably cheaper in Oklahoma. But food (fresh produce/frozen veggies/canned items/eggs/paper items=NOT meat) is probably cheaper in Upstate NY as long as you shop at the lower price grocery stores like: Aldi's discount groceries, Walmart, & Hannaford groceries (I love Wegman's but there are none at Watertown/Fort Drum). Oklahoma has a property tax every year on your vehicle and New York State does not. So you see, there are differences in various prices of different things between Oklahoma & Upstate NY but it seems like the overall Average is similar.

You mentioned apartments outside Fort Drum. Yes, I've been to all the rental complexes. Some of them are: 1.) Townhomes where no one lives above nor below your place=they only live beside your rental unit. 2.) Duplexes where there are just 2 rental units, side-by-side, in each building. 3.) Apartment Complexes where there are apartments either above or below your rental unit. Have you seen exterior pictures of all these Rental Complexes, because I could Post some photos of all the complexes located outside Fort Drum. Just let me know if you want me to show you these pictures & Information.

Feel free to ask me for any information or to answer any additional questions that you might have. City-Data Member "ckhthankgod" has excellent information about the Fort Drum area. Good luck to your family. I know you will do just fine living in this area as long as you adjust to winter weather.

grdnrman

Last edited by grdnrman; 08-20-2012 at 02:18 PM..

Old 08-22-2012, 09:00 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMySmallFamily View Post
We are a Florida resident right now so we have no state taxes taken from our paycheck. But we are in Oklahoma where my husband is stationed. My husband was offred a job at Fort Drum as soon as he retires in a few months. I have a ton of questions to ask so any and all help would be wonderful. We are a family of 3 my husband, myself and our 20 year old son that will be going to college in Watertown.

Thanks !
What college is your son going to? If it is a SUNY school, as an instate student, the cost drops substantially. This happens after a year of residence. I wonder, being as you are a military family, that there might be some "in state" sooner? [My nephew has a friend at a Community College where that is the case, but it is downstate.] Something to look into and consider in costs.

Old 08-22-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
What college is your son going to? If it is a SUNY school, as an instate student, the cost drops substantially. This happens after a year of residence. I wonder, being as you are a military family, that there might be some "in state" sooner? [My nephew has a friend at a Community College where that is the case, but it is downstate.] Something to look into and consider in costs.
I'm assuming that it is Jefferson Community College and if so, I agree they should look into the requirements for their situation. It is a SUNY CC and either way, the second year should be the in state tuition rate.

Old 08-24-2012, 06:06 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm assuming that it is Jefferson Community College and if so, I agree they should look into the requirements for their situation. It is a SUNY CC and either way, the second year should be the in state tuition rate.

My friend's nephew goes to a CC in the SUNY system and people from military families ( not just Vets) get the instate as most are transfers of no choice. Something to check.

Old 08-24-2012, 03:05 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,833,652 times
OP, you got some good information here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York