Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2012, 05:53 PM

639 posts, read 1,123,980 times

Advertisements

Just for the heck. I spent time in both and curious to hear other people's thoughts. Which region do you prefer for..

Economy
Weather
Culture
Lifestyle
Recreational Activities
People
Which do you think has a better quality of life?

(By Capital Region I'm including Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Saratoga Springs, and its suburbs)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingElsewhere View Post
Just for the heck. I spent time in both and curious to hear other people's thoughts. Which region do you prefer for..

Economy
Weather
Culture
Lifestyle
Recreational Activities
People

(By Capital Region I'm including Albany, Schenectady, Troy, Saratoga Springs, and its suburbs)
Economy - probably LI, but depends on your field. Taxes/homes there might eat up any better job you might get anyway

Weather - personally I like Cap Dist. More snow, gives you more stuff to do in winter. LI is nearly as cold, but little snow.

Culture - 100% Cap Dist. LI is Snooki culture mostly.

Lifestyle - Cap. Dist. Much more open space. Cool towns like Ballston Spa and Saratoga. Cheaper, so money goes further. Adirondacks nearby. Lots of options for outdoor activities. LI just has the beach.

Recreational Activities - see above.

People - Cap. Dist. people Upstate are just more real. LI is fake. Upstate just has much less of a crush of people. LI is people on top of people.

Which do you think has a better quality of life? - IMO, no comparison. Yes, there are parts of the Cap. District that aren't that desirable and/or dangerous. But overall, I just think its an easier way of life Upstate compared to LI.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:05 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,223,675 times
Do not live on Long Island. If you are a reasonably intelligent person, you will not fit in.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 PM

97 posts, read 146,877 times
I would never live on Long Island for many of the reasons mentioned in the above responses. I grew up in Westchester (Chappaqua) and feel the same about living there. I wouldn’t raise my kids in a pushy self-centered environment that is much of the mind set in Westchester and on Long Island. But I could easily argue that the public school system is superior on the Island to that of the Capital District.
If you love the ocean and all of the activities that come with it, Long Island is the place to be. The great thing about the capital district is it is so close to so many beautiful places in the Adirondack Park. I live in the Hudson Valley and love the area but the Adirondacks are such a unique and special place.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:59 AM

1,248 posts, read 4,057,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainJack87 View Post
Do not live on Long Island. If you are a reasonably intelligent person, you will not fit in.
Even including the North Shore of Nassau County (north of the LIE) or towns like Garden City, Mineola or New Hyde Park which seem to have less of the Jersey Shore wannabe crowd

Old 09-23-2012, 09:36 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,626,751 times
Quote:

Economy
Weather
Culture
Lifestyle
Recreational Activities
People

I'd pick the Capitol Region. LI is too expensive and far too populated for my tastes! But that's just me. I'd never want to live south of the Capitol Region unless it was west.....and by that I mean the Finger Lakes.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:31 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:

Economy
Weather
Culture
Lifestyle
Recreational Activities
People

Economy - Long Island, unless government job Capital District
Weather - Long Island
Culture - Long Island (easy access to NYC)
Lifestyle - depends on individual
Recreational Activities - Summer - Long Island / Winter - Capital District
People - Capital District
Which do you think has a better quality of life? Capital District --- far less crowded, do not underestimate this.

Old 09-24-2012, 06:53 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Btw, people like to knock Long Island --- we are certainly overcrowded (except the rural East End) and we have way more than our fair share of snotty people who think who they are. But for the right people Long Island is pretty cool. I mean Long Island is overcrowded for a reason.

So if your into water activities, boating, saltwater fishing and beaches, Long Island can be pretty nice. Plus easy access to NYC, lots of parks and golf courses, good schools, good shopping (a dozen or so major malls?), restaurants, cute little historic seaports and a relatively easy winter compared to much of the Northeast.

So if you like any of the above, you may like Long Island, the problem is too many other people liking it at the same time!

Some things you may not know about Long Island.....

Long Island Beaches - New York Beaches - Long Island, New York

Long Island Wine Country | Wineries, Events, Shopping, Accommodations, Dining, Attractions

Hiking Long Island -Guided Seal Hikes (seal watching)

Long Island Whale Watching (whale watching)

http://www.discoverlongisland.com/vi...minor/WEBSURFG (surfing)

Long Island Lighthouses - New York Lighthouses - Long Island, New York (lighthouses)

Old 09-25-2012, 06:11 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,448,812 times
I would pick Capital Region. Now TBH I wouldn't pick either and I suggest you reconsider, but there is nothing on Long Island to justify how much more crowded/expensive it is than the Capital Region.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York