Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2013, 03:25 AM

3 posts, read 7,762 times

Advertisements

hello to all,
I am an architect and designer Italian long experience, Italy has sunk in the crisis, for this reason I want to move to NY, I am looking for someone who can help me to find a job or let me know to whom should I contact to get information on how to find work in my field, I am willing to relocate quickly.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 09:22 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,446,691 times
There is no construction here you are better off going to China you will get a job right away.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:44 PM

43,646 posts, read 44,375,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberto Perri View Post
hello to all,
I am an architect and designer Italian long experience, Italy has sunk in the crisis, for this reason I want to move to NY, I am looking for someone who can help me to find a job or let me know to whom should I contact to get information on how to find work in my field, I am willing to relocate quickly.
thanks
It would be very difficult for you to get a work permit/visa for the USA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
There is no construction here you are better off going to China you will get a job right away.
This could be a good suggestion.

Old 04-24-2013, 10:48 PM

20 posts, read 27,971 times
Alberto,

I had to leave NYC but lived there for 33 years. My twin brother now deceased was both architect and designer - he basically lived off design though. He worked for himself (not always easy) but unlike me (shy) he was very outgoing and went all over the world with a rich clientele (which you will find in NYC). There is construction going on (high rises) or WAS when I left about 9 months ago, lol. There is always need for designers there.

There are agencies for professionals in this field, and when I modeled I often worked at design firms all over NYC - (I had an interest in design and my own sculpture so asked for jobs in that area to make "connections"). That is the one great thing about NYC, there are so many diverse people and types of jobs. (Later when I temped while working on a degree in science and art - I was amazed at so many different types of positions in design - it is not all cut and dry - restaurant, buildings, luxury or social housing, just all sorts of projects going on, modern additions to older historical buildings and much more - as you most likely already know).

A long time friend of mine was from Italy. (photography). You do have to figure your work permit so on (back in 79 one just found some American to marry). (maybe attend a collage or teach) I am so out of the loop on this now - as I lived there from 79 on and the city was much different (better mho) then later.

His artist friend (Italian) created the now famous Bull on Wall Street! (funny story - the business "board" what ever it's called at the time did not wish to buy it from him - so he craned it in at night and plopped it down. It became famous and then it was purchased.

Not sure how to contact someone here in private??? Search Elios Zunini on Linkedin for starters - not sure what he may or may not be able to do.... but if memory serves the Italians always helped each other out.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:10 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,094,189 times
It'd be easier moving to the Netherlands or Germany and doing architectural/design work there. Or Australia.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:56 PM

20 posts, read 27,971 times
Nedergras - how do you know this? Are you in the field and have you worked in the other countries? I am not being sarcastic but again having lived in NYC for decades and my twin working in the same field as the poster asked about, it is no harder there then anywhere and perhaps less so as there are jobs of all sorts in NYC. Moving anywhere and starting up is not easy - so might as well pick a City that is growing and Bloomberg made sure there were many areas that were developed (I always thought the train section on the West Side - when I lived there had amazing potential, along with the waterfront area across from the City - now they have been. I lived in Boston prior and they developed their waterfront). There is always something in NYC and surrounding areas that can be transformed.

I just searched in NYC Craigslist - and that's only one minor source.... Many (and reason why my brother did not continue in architech) work drafting and autocad - not just building or designing.

Here is just one position - and obviously not what he is looking for but just to state they are used in many diverse areas.

One gets the toe in the door then goes from there.

Junior/Intermediate Architect (SoHo)

Award Winning Soho based Architectural Firm seeks self motivated, ambitious and creative Junior/Intermediate Architect.

Looking for growth through a long-term employment relationship.

Minimum 3-5 years experience in Institutional renovations, restoration, health care and interiors for City and State Agencies.

new york city architect/engineer/CAD jobs classifieds - craigslist

Old 04-25-2013, 04:19 AM

thank you for your intervention,
you are right in China's labor is abundant, but for me that are 190 cm would be difficult to integrate with the Chinese :-)) I'm kidding of course, but I do not love the culture and the way of life that is in the east, because work occupies half of the day, but the other half I'd viceroy in a place where there is a fantasy, jazz, blues, new trends, and the invention of new things! in China you copy the styles and all the things invented elsewhere! Italy is full of Chinese who come to copy the cars, clothes, jewelry, architecture, motorcycles, cooking and all the new fashions!
ciao!

Old 04-25-2013, 04:27 AM

thanks SAZURE
Your suggestions are precious for me!
I three years ago I was in NY for 10 days, I did some work for a firm that was located outside the urban perimeter with precision near Jamaica station. I am a skilled draftsman and freehand with software for solid modeling and rapid prototyping, I worked in the fields of marine, fine jewelry, construction etc. then what I seek is not only in buildings, but can also be in the following mechanical precision, in the graphical representation, and more. I know that NY can give job opportunities to all and that there is much variety of people, however I will try to contact Mr. Zunini, hoping to find it available to suggestions.
thanks again!

Old 04-25-2013, 07:22 PM

40 posts, read 86,342 times
I would contact Italian American associations like National Italian American Foundation - www.niaf.org, and the American Institute of Architects The American Institute of Architects - AIA Homepage for help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: