Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 05:55 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I'll take a shot at this..

Yes, those of us who are out of state look at what you pay in taxes and think your nuts but many if not most of us are from NY (or that region). I for one have a significantly lower tax obligation than the average community in NY. Salaries are different depending on your field but with such a lower COL you have a higher quality of life.

Taxes are not close, a simple example gas jumps $.25 a gallon just by entering NY, cigarettes are $10+ and even more in NYC. Yes smoking is a choice but paying more everything adds up. The average tax obligation in a NY community is $45 per $1K of assesed value here it runs $8-10 per 1k .

We also have beaches, mountains, parks, lakes (a few) just like you, we can go to Washington DC for many of the features NYC provides you but we can go to the museums for free.

Please realise there really is a quality of life.....
These taxes vary within NY as well and overall cost of living can be a wash, depending on where in NY you live and what you are comparing it to. One thing may be higher here, but another thing could be higher in another state. So, it may be a matter of what you are comparing as well as what you want.

For some Upstate NYers, going to a city like Montreal or Toronto may be the world class city they look to go to. So, even the major city closest to you or that you are more likely to go to will vary within NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 09:11 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,781,419 times
I suppose there is something to be said for the fact that you make the same amount of money if you have a higher salary but you get taxed out of a higher percentage of it, compared to someone in a low-tax state who has a lower salary. But really, that money has to come from somewhere. Does it not seem a bit disingenuous for a government to pay someone a lot and then tax a lot of that money away? (Come on. Most of us work for the government in some way.)

After all, I doubt that private companies pay their people more just because they live in a high tax state. Do you think that Wal-Mart pays its NY store workers more than, say, its Texas store workers, to compensate for NY's dramatically higher tax burden? I don't. If the government pays its workers (teachers, police officers, et al.) more, but taxes them more, wouldn't everyone be much happier if they had a lower salary that wasn't taxed as much... such that they wound up with the same amount of money anyway?

Old 07-18-2013, 05:19 AM

19,271 posts, read 17,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
These taxes vary within NY as well and overall cost of living can be a wash, depending on where in NY you live and what you are comparing it to. One thing may be higher here, but another thing could be higher in another state. So, it may be a matter of what you are comparing as well as what you want.

For some Upstate NYers, going to a city like Montreal or Toronto may be the world class city they look to go to. So, even the major city closest to you or that you are more likely to go to will vary within NY.
You and I have bantered to many time about taxes can you just conceded that NY has the hightest tax burden or within the top 3 of any state? Every list has NY as either 1 or 2, you continue to paint this picture that if you live upstate well costs are lower, well upstate cities rarely appear in the Top Ten Lists and some appear on the Top Ten Negative lists.

As for Urban access no was speaking of upstate, my response to the poster above me was that the same benifits he feels are exclusive to him do exist in many other places and with a lower cost of living..

Old 07-18-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
You and I have bantered to many time about taxes can you just conceded that NY has the hightest tax burden or within the top 3 of any state? Every list has NY as either 1 or 2, you continue to paint this picture that if you live upstate well costs are lower, well upstate cities rarely appear in the Top Ten Lists and some appear on the Top Ten Negative lists.

As for Urban access no was speaking of upstate, my response to the poster above me was that the same benifits he feels are exclusive to him do exist in many other places and with a lower cost of living..
I understand that, but need to and can think for themselves. Taxes are just one aspect of costs. So, to just harp on taxes doesn't make sense. Who cares about top 10 lists, as that can only be used as a possible aspect in terms of where a person wants to live.

I knew who you were talking to, but many Downstate folks have hardly a clue in regards to what Upstate can offer, let alone VA. So, I mentioned that information as well. I wasn't arguing more so than just offering counter information that people may not realize is possible within the state.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:15 AM

19,271 posts, read 17,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I understand that, but need to and can think for themselves. Taxes are just one aspect of costs. So, to just harp on taxes doesn't make sense. Who cares about top 10 lists, as that can only be used as a possible aspect in terms of where a person wants to live.

I knew who you were talking to, but many Downstate folks have hardly a clue in regards to what Upstate can offer, let alone VA. So, I mentioned that information as well. I wasn't arguing more so than just offering counter information that people may not realize is possible within the state.
Oh come on you know that downstaters only look at upstate as a weekend getaway or a prison location nobody would really live there....

Just kidding

Old 07-18-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Oh come on you know that downstaters only look at upstate as a weekend getaway or a prison location nobody would really live there....

Just kidding
I know you are, but I've actually had posters from NYC tell me on PM's that many people have no clue about what is in Upstate NY, besides probably what you mentioned.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,032,112 times
Quote:

Just kidding
Me again, I am a downstater that moved upstate. Born and raised in NYC, got married and moved out to Long Island, paid my taxes and commuted on the LIRR every day. A few years ago I was offered a job within my company in the Hudson Valley. That may not be the same as living in the Adirondanks but it is still upstate. It is very convenient, I can be back in NYC in about 2 1/2 hours or in Boston in 3. I've been all over the Upstate region over the years with my kids travel sports teams and to check out colleges (oldest is attending a SUNY) and if I worked as Gypsy said for Walmart, I'd be miserable. If Walmart is the standard bearer for jobs in America, we're all screwed. Many NYers have good jobs and good paying jobs at that. I have family in the states I mentioned earlier and I know what they make and it isn't what I make. I'm also very aware they don't pay anywhere near what I do in taxes and in other cost of living expenses, so to me it's all relative. They're happy making less and paying lower taxes, I'm happy making more even if it costs me more to do so. They enjoy different activites from what I do as well.

That was why I asked if it isn't all relative?

I do honestly believe though in the end the NYer wins out IF - big IF - you have a good job/pension/401K. Seems to me once you hit retirement and much of your income is based on what you earned in your lifetime, folks from higher income states have the option to either stay put or move to a lower cost/taxed area. Can't say the reverse is true.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:02 PM

639 posts, read 1,125,024 times
Quote:

Yes, those of us who are out of state look at what you pay in taxes and think your nuts but many if not most of us are from NY (or that region). I for one have a significantly lower tax obligation than the average community in NY. Salaries are different depending on your field but with such a lower COL you have a higher quality of life.

Taxes are not close, a simple example gas jumps $.25 a gallon just by entering NY, cigarettes are $10+ and even more in NYC. Yes smoking is a choice but paying more everything adds up. The average tax obligation in a NY community is $45 per $1K of assesed value here it runs $8-10 per 1k .

We also have beaches, mountains, parks, lakes (a few) just like you, we can go to Washington DC for many of the features NYC provides you but we can go to the museums for free.

You got to be kidding complaining about taxes on cigarettes. I think majority of people today are happy with the high prices of an oral device that contains 60+ carcinogens (aka cigarettes).

Gasoline is a finite resource, also when you use gasoline you contribute to outdoor air pollution which is linked to heart disease and asthma. No way should gas be cheap and not taxed. If you're going to use a nonrenewable resource, pollute, and jeopardize people's health, then you should pay the premium. Also, if you think NY has high gas prices being $0.25 higher, you should see how high it is in Hawaii or Europe for gas.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:29 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,601,982 times
Quote:

Please realize that people can have a quality of life even with NY's tax burden. I understand what you say and my taxes overall were lower when I lived down south in NC too. But that doesn't necessarily equate to a higher quality of life. You aren't crazy for living down south with lower COL (well compared to downstate ny, most of Virginia, even the Richmond and Hampton Roads areas, have a much higher COL than in Upstate NY) and it's great that you can afford more there. However, we aren't crazy for living in NY and paying the taxes here either and it's very possible to live a nice life here (at least in my part of the state) on a middle-class income.

I guess I just don't see a reason to obsess over taxes if my QOL is good and myself and my family are happy. I'm sure you don't mean it to be offensive but when you say things like "you're crazy for staying there and paying taxes"...it's pretty presumptuous.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:18 AM

639 posts, read 1,125,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
Please realize that people can have a quality of life even with NY's tax burden. I understand what you say and my taxes overall were lower when I lived down south in NC too. But that doesn't necessarily equate to a higher quality of life. You aren't crazy for living down south with lower COL (well compared to downstate ny, most of Virginia, even the Richmond and Hampton Roads areas, have a much higher COL than in Upstate NY) and it's great that you can afford more there. However, we aren't crazy for living in NY and paying the taxes here either and it's very possible to live a nice life here (at least in my part of the state) on a middle-class income.

I guess I just don't see a reason to obsess over taxes if my QOL is good and myself and my family are happy. I'm sure you don't mean it to be offensive but when you say things like "you're crazy for staying there and paying taxes"...it's pretty presumptuous.
^^ Exactly. My cousin has been living in Manhattan for years and absolutely loves it. My friend grew up in the rural Adirondacks- her parents are doctors for a small, remote town in need of medical care. They have a wonderful QOL with two houses, one being a lake house. Like you said, taxes aren't the "end all" and people have been leaving NY primarily for other reasons (too high COL downstate, too cold upstate, etc.)

For NY to still be the third or fourth most populous state with a higher GDP than all southern states, they must being doing something right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York