Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2014, 05:12 PM

275 posts, read 793,415 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are in the middle of our annual fall trip to upstate NY. It's our chance to sample NYS apples and wines in the Finger Lakes. One thing that always puzzled me living in FL is the lack of anything NY related in stores. I have never seen any apples from NYS in any supermarkets in Orlando. In fact, I would guess that over 90% of the apples sold in FL come from Washington state.

Also, I have never seen any wines from a NY vineyard sold in any store in FL. If it's domestic, it comes from CA. Anyone have a guess as to why? I find NY products just as good as WA or CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 05:28 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Heck I live in NY and NY wine is pretty rare unless your at the place it's made. Not hard to figger when you consider 90% of the wine made in the US is from CA. WA made about the same as NY and you never really see that either.

My wife likes Merlot and those kinda grapes don't do well upstate but I did recently come across a place in Mexico that makes Merlot from grapes grow on Long Island.

I do know a lot of NY dairy products are sold in Florida. Often packaged in contains with local sounding names. Like maybe Publixs store brand even.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:54 PM

275 posts, read 793,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean® View Post
Heck I live in NY and NY wine is pretty rare unless your at the place it's made. Not hard to figger when you consider 90% of the wine made in the US is from CA. WA made about the same as NY and you never really see that either.

My wife likes Merlot and those kinda grapes don't do well upstate but I did recently come across a place in Mexico that makes Merlot from grapes grow on Long Island.

I do know a lot of NY dairy products are sold in Florida. Often packaged in contains with local sounding names. Like maybe Publixs store brand even.
Yes, Chobani yogurt is sold in Publix and it comes from NY. Not much, if any NY apples though. and I always thought NY apples were well thought of.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:13 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Ask your stores to stock the items. If there is a desire, people will get them

You get NY apples in Motts product. You get our grapes in Welches (most from around the Lake Ontario shore). You get lots of our milk in cottage cheeses and yogurt and hard cheeses markets nation wide. You may not just see it. It may just say USA.

Wines? CA has a big lock on the market. Find one you really like and get a local liquor store to stock it. If it catches on, they will stock more.

One of the reasons that NY wine is hard to get outside the area? Some places (towns, counties, states) have locks on transportation (I asked at a winery). We can ask a liquor store to stock a certain item from a certain winery; even our little local one will. We also make a trip 2X a year to the Finger Lakes to stock up.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:30 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,111,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
My wife and I are in the middle of our annual fall trip to upstate NY. It's our chance to sample NYS apples and wines in the Finger Lakes. One thing that always puzzled me living in FL is the lack of anything NY related in stores. I have never seen any apples from NYS in any supermarkets in Orlando. In fact, I would guess that over 90% of the apples sold in FL come from Washington state.

Also, I have never seen any wines from a NY vineyard sold in any store in FL. If it's domestic, it comes from CA. Anyone have a guess as to why? I find NY products just as good as WA or CA.
Production quantities. While NYS is the 2nd biggest US Apple producer with ~13.5%, WA is 60% of all apples grown in the US. That 13.5% can be and is used up in more local markets. NYS apples are common in the Northeast.

Same story with wine. CA produces 90% of all US-made wine. NYS is the 2nd biggest with...3.5%. Again, most likely gets all sold closer to home, and even if it was fairly distributed around the country, that'd still be maybe 2/100 bottles of wine for sale (as plenty is imported as well).

Old 10-14-2014, 11:28 PM

23 posts, read 28,835 times
Many countries do not like these products to use . So, these products are not popular in international markets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York