Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 04:32 AM

84 posts, read 567,489 times

Advertisements

Do any trains run from Orange County into NYC? We are considering relocating and Monroe, Cornwall and Warwick are areas we're considering, however, my husband will be commuting to NYC daily. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2006, 01:14 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times
No train from Cornwall or Warwick, just buses, but Monroe has train service fairly close to it though not downtown. The commuter lot in Harriman (right next to Monroe) is JAMMED with cars and many people have to park on the side of a four-lane highway due to lack of spaces. MetroNorth, the train that (allegedly) serves Orange promises a parking garage but as they're a quasi-governmental body, don't hold your breath.

http://www.njtransit.com/sf_bu_schedules.shtml (broken link)

http://www.njtransit.com/sf_tr_schedules.shtml# (broken link)

Those page contain the bus and rail schedules for Orange and surrounding areas. You will notice Cornwall is not served by either of them. You have to drive to a bus or tain station.

Note that the buses go to the Port Authority bus terminal in midtown Manhattan while the trains on the west side of the river go to New Jersey where you have to transfer to another train to cross the river which then leaves you at Penn Station. Before 9/11 the train also gave you the ability to cross over in Hoboken and end-up at the World Trade Center, right in the financial district. That service is due to be restored at some point. If your darling hubby works in midtown, the train situation is a pain as he'll have to take the subway uptown to his office, and one of the reasons Orange is cheaper than the other side of the river. That's one car drive and 3 trains, minimum, to get to work. Be aware, the bus from Warwick follows a rather treacherous route to get to get to Manhattan. If your husband gets carsick on buses traveling twisty, windy roads, then it may not be an option for him. That said, the buses (and trains) are usually on-time and run in all but the worst weather. Naturally trains are able to run longer (and more safely) than buses but I know many commuters who have a club or relative or corporate hotel account to which they can turn when the weather gets really bad and staying in the city makes more sense. Your husband would be wise to keep a small, pre-stocked overnight bag at the office for weather or other emergencies (on 9/11 the city was sealed for nearly 3 days).

Case in point: To get to the city from Warwick, my stepfather awoke every morning at 4:30am, dressed, got in his car, drove 17 miles to the Tuxedo train station where he parked, then took the bus for another 45 minutes to get to his office in Rockefeller Center where he worked. Barring a major problem, he was at his desk at 8am. Look carefully at those 17 miles on a mapping/satellite website. They're an excellent excuse to own an AWD vehicle in the winter. He did have a club in NYC to stay at and usually stayed 2 nights or more a week in the city.

A lot of people carpool or drive themselves despite the traffic and the cost of renting a monthly parking space. Monroe is easier as it's less driving to the train and then either one or two subway rides to get to work. Cornwall, pretty town that it is, isn't easy though they may have a new bus soon depending on funding. Go over those two schedules as they will tell you your mass transit options and check out monthly parking rates in the district your husband will be working in. If he does drive, be sure to add at least $5.00 every day for tolls, about $2.00 more if he takes the Thruway to the bridge or tunnels.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Old 10-16-2006, 02:36 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,972 times
I live in Monroe. My youngest son worked in Manhattan until a month ago. Took the bus into the city and from Penn station took the train to his job.

Old 10-25-2006, 04:52 AM

9 posts, read 65,111 times
There is a pretty large commuter lot in middletown that goes to nyc. Long train ride and there is the exchange at hoboken??? I always used the Harriaman one around 3 years ago and well it was always available i never parked on the street. I got there for the 5:15 i think? Good luck oc can be very nice.

Old 10-26-2006, 02:19 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
Middletown is a PIA to commute from but people do it. Out of the towns mentioned, Monroe is the most commutable. And it is very nice, property there is more reasonable than it was 2 years ago.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:44 PM

47 posts, read 283,274 times
Very tough NYC commute up there, stick to Westchester County as you mentioned in another post of yours on this site.

Old 10-30-2006, 05:26 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
I know a lot of people who have commuted from Orange and even Southern Ulster for 20, 30 years. Including DD, who has done it since 1982. (from walden area)

Don't write it off quite yet.

If you live in Southern Wallkill/Eastern Montgomery area you can be to the train station in Beacon in about 15 minutes, from there you are looking at 1 hour 15 minutes to the city. Monroe is an even easier commute - by BUS, shortline (coachusa.com) runs from the park and ride down to the city. The train from there is absurd tho.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:52 PM

5 posts, read 61,925 times
Default first post for me

I am clueless at this; I usually just read. I don't know if it is o.k. to ask a question in a repy, but I don't know how to start the ball rolling. Forgive me if I screwed up. It's not a first.

Having said all that, I think I would like to move to Orange County and I work on the upper west side. I can afford about 200,000, would prefer a house but a co-op/townhouse is fine too. I don't want to spend anymore time than I have to commuting though I know that is part of the package. Any suggestions on which towns? The commuting route is baffling to say the least.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:00 AM

794 posts, read 1,861,301 times
Well you can't have it all, LOL If you want to live in Orange County, and I don't blame you one bit, you are going to have to resolve to the fact that you must commute. I've been doing it for 15 years by train. The ride is 1 hour and 10 minutes from Salisbury Mills to Hoboken. I take the Path train from Hoboken to World Trade Center which takes 20 minutes. Another 5 minute walk to my office. Your mileage may vary, but this is a typical Orange County commute.

You will probably have to spend a touch more than 200k for a decent house in OC, but not much more. Don't forget to figure in high taxes. This is a major expense.

Hope that helps
Al

Old 05-15-2007, 11:53 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,938 times
A touch more? I dont know....even the condos are in the 3's..but again, depends on what you are looking for...Orange county, Dutchess....is pretty much a burb of NYC..along with with the cost of living..the days of buying a starter home under 200k ended 10 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York