Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 08:10 AM

266 posts, read 1,195,668 times

Advertisements

BTW, I wanted to ask a question myself...

I grew up always knowing about "plugging in the car" - for those who don't know, this was a way of keeping part of the engine (please don't ask me for specific mechanics, I have NO idea, LOL) warm with a block heater so it would start in the morning after being parked all night, or for a long period of time.

Do people in upstate NY have vehicles so equipped? I still have my car from Canada, so I am ahead of the game if we move. I will probably use it anyway... It is still so strange to me that no one has ever heard of this here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2006, 08:12 PM

417 posts, read 1,891,633 times
anyone who's driven a diesel knows all about block heaters! heck, I used to have to plug my old diesel VW rabbit in to get it started in the winter in Rhode Island.

Old 10-22-2006, 11:32 PM

1,174 posts, read 5,903,286 times
Motor oil gets thicker as it gets colder, just like kitchen greases. Choosing a lighter weight oil for winter helps because it doesn't get thick when it gets cold. This is important because when you first start your car the oil is down in the bottom of the engine and you get a lot of engine wear because that oil hasn't had a chance to circulate yet. The first minute of starting a cold engine are the times of most wear and damage to it. The thinner consistency the oil is, the quicker it will heat-up and spread around the engine. When it's very cold, around 0F or below, your oil will become so thick that not only will your engine suffer excessive wear, but the oil may not allow the engine to turnover properly. Do this enough times and you're cylinder seals will be toast. It's bad all around.

Block heaters keep the oil down in the bottom of the engine warm by using an immersive heater, much like aquarium heaters. They keep the oil warm so when you start the car the engine oil is liquid enough to spread quickly through the cold motor. A side benefit for you is that your preheated oil will mean you'll have nearly instantaneous hot air to warm the passenger compartment and defrost your windows.

Engine heaters are a little bit of a hassle but well worth the thousands in engine work you'd need without them. Battery blankets are also great for when it's so cold your battery has trouble generating enough Amps to create ignition. So yeah, you may need a double outlet to plug everything in, but it'll save you money in the long run.

You know you're in a cold part of the world when you pull into a hotel and see electrical outlets in front of every parking space.

Old 10-23-2006, 12:15 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as far as the city part, i disagree, its even better in the city because after they plow we have that loose slush all over the roads as well as mounds of snow to get thru or to have to park in. anyone who says 4x4 isnt for city life hasnt owned one.
While it is nice for the city as well, a 4x4 can save your life if you live way out in the country. In the city if you need help during a severe blizzard you can walk somewhere or get an ambulance rather easily. Or get food and other necessities.

While if you are out 45 minutes from the nearest town with 3 feet of snow on the ground your 4x4 may well save a life, as it did for us in NM when our friend's toddler got a 105 fever. Not even the ambulances could reach this kid so we took him in with the Dakota.

I don't dispute that a 4x4 is wonderful to have in the city, but it is more essenntial in the country..

Old 10-23-2006, 02:55 PM

302 posts, read 1,443,972 times
I will never have another car without AWD. I live in Monroe and commute to westchester over the Bear Mountain Bridge. never worry about getting home!

Old 10-23-2006, 03:42 PM

106,691 posts, read 108,856,202 times
awd and 4 wheel are those things you dont know you need until you own one, regardless of where you are as long as there is snow

Old 10-23-2006, 07:08 PM

431 posts, read 2,125,980 times
Default oh my goodness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
Motor oil gets thicker as it gets colder, just like kitchen greases. Choosing a lighter weight oil for winter helps because it doesn't get thick when it gets cold. This is important because when you first start your car the oil is down in the bottom of the engine and you get a lot of engine wear because that oil hasn't had a chance to circulate yet. The first minute of starting a cold engine are the times of most wear and damage to it. The thinner consistency the oil is, the quicker it will heat-up and spread around the engine. When it's very cold, around 0F or below, your oil will become so thick that not only will your engine suffer excessive wear, but the oil may not allow the engine to turnover properly. Do this enough times and you're cylinder seals will be toast. It's bad all around.

Block heaters keep the oil down in the bottom of the engine warm by using an immersive heater, much like aquarium heaters. They keep the oil warm so when you start the car the engine oil is liquid enough to spread quickly through the cold motor. A side benefit for you is that your preheated oil will mean you'll have nearly instantaneous hot air to warm the passenger compartment and defrost your windows.

Engine heaters are a little bit of a hassle but well worth the thousands in engine work you'd need without them. Battery blankets are also great for when it's so cold your battery has trouble generating enough Amps to create ignition. So yeah, you may need a double outlet to plug everything in, but it'll save you money in the long run.

You know you're in a cold part of the world when you pull into a hotel and see electrical outlets in front of every parking space.
Wow, all i keep thinking about is how much I miss NY, but man, I don't miss having to warm up the car in the winter! LOL. That's one positive thing I can say about being in the South, in the morning, I just get into my car and go.

Old 10-24-2006, 04:57 PM

266 posts, read 1,195,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
LOL yup, all across the prairies that was a pretty big requirement for staying somewhere.

Old 11-04-2006, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 6,296 times
My husband has had rear wheel and front wheel and won't drive a 4WD or AWD. He is undomfortable with the way they stop. We have Dodge caravans & live in the rural area -- on the far east of the town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York