Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 05:20 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times

Advertisements

The south is mostly a hell hole

Old 04-04-2015, 05:36 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Yawn.Like anybody takes you seriously.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:34 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
What an informative post..

Old 04-04-2015, 11:29 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I feel your pain, my parents were also in the NY Burbs just under an hour from the city. I honestly think the town/county does not want seniors just young families who pay all their taxes. The local mindset is if you need real medical care you go to the city so the local hospital(s) were abysmal. Travel if you didn't drive was shaky at best. Those posters who think being a senior in NY state or city is the best way to live has a lot to learn about aging.
Err, no. If you live in NYC the hospital amenities are excellent and if the person is still capable of walking public transportation is excellent. There are a lot of social services and facilities dedicated towards elderly, disabled, and low income people in NYC.

In the colleges towns upstate, between buses and cabs one can easily get to doctors and other facilities for the elderly (places like Ithaca, Syracuse, Cortland,etc).

If you live in a rural area yes that is going to suck for services, but there are huge rural areas of the South as well they have no services and no public transportation.

A lot of older people end up living with friends or relatives due to limited income and/or ability to live alone and this is nationwide.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:10 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
/\

I see the rush now for all retirees to move to the city, hope they get their names onto the apartment lotteries early so they have a place to stay. Please get it out of your head that taking a cab/bus is a simple option, many posters have stated the lack of facilities and the difficulties to get somewhere. Rural services are weak everywhere and there are huge areas of NY without public transit and services don't think the state is immune.

Living with family is fine if available but when it's not an option that's where the challenge begins. At least your folks will be able to live with you after they retire....

Old 04-04-2015, 03:57 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,329 times
Not to mention that some of the parents of posters here with these concerns were not/are not living in what would be considered "rural" areas. Are the counties within only one-hour drive of NYC rural?... Uh, no.

I hope this clueless young guy manages to save his billions, because he's going to need them when his parents get old and he has to hire caretakers for his loved ones... when they move into his Central Park penthouse to live with him, that is.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
/\

I see the rush now for all retirees to move to the city, hope they get their names onto the apartment lotteries early so they have a place to stay. Please get it out of your head that taking a cab/bus is a simple option, many posters have stated the lack of facilities and the difficulties to get somewhere. Rural services are weak everywhere and there are huge areas of NY without public transit and services don't think the state is immune.

Living with family is fine if available but when it's not an option that's where the challenge begins. At least your folks will be able to live with you after they retire....
I did not say all retirees should or would move to the city.

But I did say it's a ridiculous assertion to say they should all move to the South and automatically declare upon doing so that there wouldn't be any problems there. Especially if they are moving because they couldn't afford where they are.

I also said that depending on where you are upstate (collegetowns) there are plenty of facilities. You hate that I mention that because you hate NY. But that doesn't change the fact that those facilities exist in certain parts of upstate NY and of course in NYC.

If they cannot take a cab or a bus on earth are they going to do well in the South? I'm speaking of people who can't drive. That cuts off most of the South as well and if they are that immobile a nursing home is the best option for them (wherever).

Old 04-04-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
Not to mention that some of the parents of posters here with these concerns were not/are not living in what would be considered "rural" areas. Are the counties within only one-hour drive of NYC rural?... Uh, no.

I hope this clueless young guy manages to save his billions, because he's going to need them when his parents get old and he has to hire caretakers for his loved ones... when they move into his Central Park penthouse to live with him, that is.
I'm not clueless. Again there are plenty of upstate NY towns with sufficient amenities and services for the elderly, particularly the collegetowns. I get that some of you are so poor living even in these places is out of the question for you, so the best "retirement" option is to go to some trailer park in the South (if you can even afford that).

But to any senior citizen with any decent amount of retirement income, if you were already living in NYC or one of upstate's collegetowns there's no reason to leave where you are. You have considerable services and amenities nearby and you have your relatives and other loved ones you've known for all those years in the area.

As for my loved ones, the older ones in NYC own property they paid off quite some time ago, so they are perfectly happy living at home.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:45 PM

5,347 posts, read 7,201,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Yawn.Like anybody takes you seriously.

You hurt my feelings

Old 04-04-2015, 08:37 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,801,761 times
Quote:
You hurt my feelings
Remember the South is a hell hole and Im a demon.Its my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York