Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 08:30 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,825,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'd say that the specific community seems more specific given the variation within a metro, let alone a town/city.

Also, if it is about the affordability, wouldn't you say that the lower number can be a plus, given the reality of the range of housing in Buffalo?
Yes, but whose to say that Matthews to Clarance Center is a fair comparison? If you look at the Charlotte Metro vs the Buffalo Metro, according to the CNN/Money COL calculator, its cheaper to find housing overall in Metro Charlotte. Which has been all I've been saying all along. Not that one area is better than another, just that housing is cheaper due to property taxes.

Interestingly enough, at least 3 people have shared their experiences and found the same thing, property taxes are what makes housing cost in NY very high.

Lower number is definitely a plus if looking to live in the City of Buffalo. I would guess, as a demographics nerd, that lower numbers equate with higher crime too. Likewise, if theres a section of Charlotte with a housing index number of 32, I'd expect it to be a bad neighborhood.

Old 02-25-2014, 08:38 AM

93,386 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Yes, but whose to say that Matthews to Clarance Center is a fair comparison? If you look at the Charlotte Metro vs the Buffalo Metro, according to the CNN/Money COL calculator, its cheaper to find housing overall in Metro Charlotte. Which has been all I've been saying all along. Not that one area is better than another, just that housing is cheaper due to property taxes.

Interestingly enough, at least 3 people have shared their experiences and found the same thing, property taxes are what makes housing cost in NY very high.

Lower number is definitely a plus if looking to live in the City of Buffalo. I would guess, as a demographics nerd, that lower numbers equate with higher crime too. Likewise, if theres a section of Charlotte with a housing index number of 32, I'd expect it to be a bad neighborhood.
I never mentioned anything about being better or worse. That comparison is based off of what you said about Matthews and the reputation of Clarence Center in the Buffalo area. We've also had people live in both areas and come up with what I've been saying and to watch out for hidden fees/taxes. Again, it is tougher to gauge a whole metro's housing cost and that the numbers show that median housing prices are higher in Charlotte. Erie County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Mecklenburg County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

That is from the federal government showing the big difference in median home value/price. So, I'm wondering how did they come up with the metro housing figures, as property taxes are recieved differently in both places(while admittedly higher up here) and the price is higher in Mecklenburg County in comparison to Erie County. Again, this is according to our national government in terms of the numbers.

Also, you cant equate lower number necessarily with higher crime, as the age of the housing stock and the demand are important factors. It isn't as if Charlotte doesn't have high crime areas and the way Charlotte is spread out versus the fixed land area of Buffalo, among other factors, have to come into play. Like I mentioned before, cities vary in terms of neighborhoods. Especially cities the size of these two.

Here is some more information: Erie County Home Prices and Heat Map - Trulia.com#

Mecklenburg County Home Prices and Heat Map - Trulia.com

Old 02-25-2014, 08:43 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
One has to live in NY to know something? You know I don't live there. I was born and raised there.

We both have access to the same internet. Curious as to why you haven't commented on my COL calculator showing Charlotte as 25% cheaper in housing. It stinks when things don't go your way, doesn't it?
There is no way in hell Charlotte is cheaper than Buffalo.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I never mentioned anything about being better or worse. That comparison is based off of what you said about Matthews and the reputation of Clarence Center in the Buffalo area. We've also had people live in both areas and come up with what I've been saying and to watch out for hidden fees/taxes. Again, it is tougher to gauge a whole metro's housing cost and that the numbers show that median housing prices are higher in Charlotte. Erie County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Mecklenburg County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

That is from the federal government showing the big difference in median home value/price. So, I'm wondering how did they come up with the metro housing figures, as property taxes are recieved differently in both places(while admittedly higher up here) and the price is higher in Mecklenburg County in comparison to Erie County. Again, this is according to our national government in terms of the numbers.

Also, you cant equate lower number necessarily with higher crime, as the age of the housing stock and the demand are important factors. It isn't as if Charlotte doesn't have high crime areas and the way Charlotte is spread out versus the fixed land area of Buffalo, among other factors, have to come into play. Like I mentioned before, cities vary in terms of neighborhoods. Especially cities the size of these two.

Here is some more information: Erie County Home Prices and Heat Map - Trulia.com#

Mecklenburg County Home Prices and Heat Map - Trulia.com
The source is fine, and the difference in median housing cost is about $50k, but as we've seen, $50k in housing cost can be easily offset by the difference in property taxes. Census data doesn't include this. So, at the end of the day, Joe Smith who gets his mortgage statement will see a higher monthly cost in Erie County than Mecklenburg County, with regard to housing. I showed an example of how a house in Buffalo at $150k can equate to a house in Charlotte at $225k, mortgage wise. And clearly, it was a newer house with more modern amenities. A house that most people in 2014 would find more desirable. I realize that is subjective, but typically people prefer newer homes.

A pretty good correlation can be drawn, especially in cities like Buffalo, between the price of a house and the crime in the neighborhood. Of course, Charlotte is a fairly big city and has crime, so I would expect the same to happen there.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
You said that already. Look at the numbers, Mr. Numbers don't lie.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:11 AM

19,053 posts, read 13,968,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikBEggs View Post
This from the guy who was calling anyone out who disagreed with his own approved numbers. I'm leaning towards you really don't understand that numbers can be and are routinely twisted to fit the intended audience and reporter's biases.

To the original question:

Some of would be making a really bad financial decision if we left now. In my situation, a few more years of sacrificing my freedom and a tight financial belt will yield a huge payoff in the end. When I flee, I'll be fleeing with a generous NY taxpayer-funded pension of which very few dollars will ever be spent in NY/NYC. If it isn't already, NY should certainly concern itself with figuring out how to keep billions of its pension payouts within its own borders, rather than continuing to fund the economies of other states.

While the high cost of living certainly plays into our decision, I'd stay in New York state just to be close to my family if it wasn't for the ridiculous lack of freedom here. I do not want my state government making decisions for me regarding how I can raise my children, what I can do with my property, my 2nd Amendment rights, etc. This state will only get worse as the ironclad grip of NYC liberal politics becomes ever more powerful and unrelenting. As people like me flee, it will become only worse and worse, but that's not my concern as long as the sheep who remain keep paying the taxes required to fund my pension.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:18 AM

93,386 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
The source is fine, and the difference in median housing cost is about $50k, but as we've seen, $50k in housing cost can be easily offset by the difference in property taxes. Census data doesn't include this. So, at the end of the day, Joe Smith who gets his mortgage statement will see a higher monthly cost in Erie County than Mecklenburg County, with regard to housing. I showed an example of how a house in Buffalo at $150k can equate to a house in Charlotte at $225k, mortgage wise. And clearly, it was a newer house with more modern amenities. A house that most people in 2014 would find more desirable. I realize that is subjective, but typically people prefer newer homes.

A pretty good correlation can be drawn, especially in cities like Buffalo, between the price of a house and the crime in the neighborhood. Of course, Charlotte is a fairly big city and has crime, so I would expect the same to happen there.
Property taxes shown also aren't necessarily what a person pays either. 50k is a pretty big difference when looking at something that makes up 30% of costs and is a point that isn't as flexible as taxes is. Your homes actually weren't that new and that choice is subjective, as many people may like older homes or even city living. So, we can only go off of base information, unless similar homes can be posted or there are homes that are being compared that are equally liked.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
This from the guy who was calling anyone out who disagreed with his own approved numbers. I'm leaning towards you really don't understand that numbers can be and are routinely twisted to fit the intended audience and reporter's biases.
That is fine. My co-worker moved here from North Carolina. It isn't cheaper than Buffalo. Comparable, but not cheaper (and much worse traffic).

Quote:
To the original question:

Some of would be making a really bad financial decision if we left now. In my situation, a few more years of sacrificing my freedom and a tight financial belt will yield a huge payoff in the end. When I flee, I'll be fleeing with a generous NY taxpayer-funded pension of which very few dollars will ever be spent in NY/NYC. If it isn't already, NY should certainly concern itself with figuring out how to keep billions of its pension payouts within its own borders, rather than continuing to fund the economies of other states.
This isn't exclusive to NY. Many states are facing a pension crisis that will eventually pass as they are phased out. The boomers will die eventually.

Quote:
While the high cost of living certainly plays into our decision, I'd stay in New York state just to be close to my family if it wasn't for the ridiculous lack of freedom here. I do not want my state government making decisions for me regarding how I can raise my children, what I can do with my property, my 2nd Amendment rights, etc. This state will only get worse as the ironclad grip of NYC liberal politics becomes ever more powerful and unrelenting. As people like me flee, it will become only worse and worse, but that's not my concern as long as the sheep who remain keep paying the taxes required to fund my pension.
The truth comes out.

The only people who routinely ***** about New York are hard-right conservatives. That is the source of rage in half the anti-New York posts. No one is forcing you to be here.

The unsaid truth however, is that many people who ***** about New York and its liberal politics don't ever actually leave. They don't leave because it actually is affordable outside of NYC clusterfrick, it has diverse geography and an extensive public school and parks system. You won't find historic parks, mountains, or an extensive college system equivalent to SUNY in most other states.

As for NY taking so much from people, NY contributes more tax dollars to the Fed than every "red" state except for Nevada. NY has been subsidizing the economies of conservative states for decades. I don't see how the future will be any different.

Seriously, if you aren't happy with your life in NY you are free to move. This goes to anyone. No one is stopping you from being here. We are blessed as a country with a diverse nation with many wonderful cities and states to reside in.

Old 02-25-2014, 12:11 PM

Um, this is why millenials are pissed off about their job situation.

When millenials find a job, they get paid peanuts, regardless of their education.

Let's stick to the topic of why NY is so bad.

Like I mentioned before, the only people who share that sentiment are spewing 30 years worth of hot air about leaving, or are extreme conservatives that got their feelings hurt by the governor.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:04 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorytmeadows View Post
Not hateful. People aren't ENTITLED to a job. But they are entitled to use the market to EARN a job. Work hard on your resume, interviewing skills, start somewhere a little lower than you might think, do the work. Stop pretending there is this secret society hiring privileged people only. Start to realize that getting rejected three times in a row might be cause for a concern with what YOU'RE doing. When the economy is bad, the job market is tough. Best of luck to everyone.

People don't HAVE to climb the ladder, but they do have to understand that doing your job 100% doesn't automatically get you a promotion. Also, I started lower on the totem poll. Within 5 years time, I was promoted. After another year, I was promoted again to Director of IT. All with two psychology degrees that are practically worthless. Then, a year and a half later, after 30 years in NY, I had enough of the state, its politics, idiotic panic laws, taxes, government, and weather. I split. And I used the internet to make it a cakewalk.

I feel for people who are in the unfortunate situation of not having a job. However, that depends on the reason. If for some reason, you chose to get a Sociology degree instead of something more marketable, you're going to have a tougher time. Hell, blame your parents for allowing you to choose such an unmarketable degree. But let's not blame a company for not handing out jobs to people with no foresight into choosing a marketable education. We all want to go to college and get a dream job in the same field but that's just not how life works all the time. I agree that the debt inherited doesn't necessarily agree with the outcome when it comes to the costs of education, but I don't like the current system of collegiate education. I think degrees should be market-based: meaning a sociology degree should be about $3000, while an MBA should be quite a bit more expensive.

Ironically, I'm doing exactly what I told people I wanted to and enjoying the weather. If I can do it, many more can; I'm not special.
Your college education is really often the least of it. Gates and Zuckerberg have no degrees, and look at where they are now.

Also, there are pretty successful liberal arts majors. Meryl Streep has a degree in drama from Yale.

Liberal arts people find high paying jobs in banking, film, tv, or they often get MBA and go the corporate route. Or they get law degrees. Or they get phds and become academics. Or they get masters and become teachers.

The main issue is a person would need to be able to apply what they know to real world solutions and to life in general. Its possible to do that from all majors, and its just as possible to have unsuccessful people from all majors as well.

To advance in any field you have to be better than much of your competition and this is true regardless of whether or not you have a degree. And you'll have to cultivate the proper social network and support systems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York