Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 12:37 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,965,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Nyc may be gaining population, but many of them are illegal aliens who don't contribute taxes and drain social services. When I retire, I can assure you I will move out of ny state just so that they can pay me my pension and not get the money back since I won't be spending it in NY and putting the money back in.
That's good for NYS because when you get sick and old the state won't have to spend money on your nursing home care? See NYC dumps it's old working class poor population on other states..

Old 03-27-2015, 01:25 PM

5,481 posts, read 8,572,797 times
I don't hate it but I cant say I love it. I feel that living in the city (manhattan) is severely overrated though. For what someone pays for a studio in manhattan, I have a spacious 2br in Queens with a parking spot for my car. Not to mention, I'm only 15 minutes from the city via subway or driving.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:51 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,822,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But if you have to work in the corporate sector and if you're going out for a major career in banking, insurance, real estate, media, film, tv pharmaceuticals, NYC has all those places beat substantially. NYC has many more corporate headquarters than the cities you just mentioned, and definitely Boston and Montreal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
NYC is the nation's business capital. The South has nothing like it.

NYC has Wall Street, the the largest banks all have significant operations here, a significant technology and start up sector, a big film and television industry and has top notch universities.

The smaller cities of the finger lakes (Ithaca, Syracuse) have a lot more in the way of services and amenities than comparable sized cities in the South. The top universities in NY Cornell and Columbia are more prestigious than any place in the South.
You're talking about NYC which I don't think anyone is arguing is the nations business capital and a very important US city. Keep in mind that Charlotte is the nation's 2nd biggest banking city.

Other careers can be pursued, and you can be plenty successful in other cities. If you can make $100k in NYC but it costs $3000 a month to have a shoebox apartment, are you really better off than in a job making $75k and living in a large, luxurious apartment in a Southern city? You decide for yourself.

That's not to mention other hassles of living in NYC- breathing in pollution, traffic congestion, bad weather, and living in a highly competitive, fast paced environment. Which is not for everyone.

The overriding question remains: we can argue all day about whether NYS is great or not, but the fact remains that people are leaving the state more than others. Are all those people wrong? I can come on City Data and stomp my feet and insist that the sky is green, but that doesn't change reality.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:51 PM

93,236 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Really? The opposite is true for me (and I suspect for most people).

NYC is the greatest city on earth. Places like Atlanta, Charlotte and the like are horrible if you like urbanism.

They're anti-cities. People move there because they're cheap and warm, and because they want to live in sprawl.

You really meet people who move to exurban Charlotte for the city feel?
Good point, as they are essentially cities with first and second ring suburbs within the city limits. I could see if one were interested in the older, more core city neighborhoods in those cities, but much of what you find in those cities are essentially gobbled up suburbs in terms of built environment.

Also, to what Nywriterdude said, while people bang on the Upstate NY cities, given what they have been through in recent decades and even in comparison to similar cities across the country, they still have a lot to offer. They aren't shiny and new, but many still offer things like sporting events, the arts, festivals, quick access to the outdoors, very good institutes of higher learning and more.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:09 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Even if people leave, in order to get positive growth, people have to be moving into these areas/counties, etc seeing population growth, regardless of how much growth.
This is not true at all. They have a little positive growth because... BABIES.
Nobody is moving in.
Again, for a millionth time, all of the upstate counties discussed here have massive net population outflows, no exceptions. I posted the figures before.

Here I will give you an example how this works:

Joe Sixpack county, NY
Births: 25,000
Deaths: 15,000
Total natural increase: +10,000

People leaving the county: 10,050
People coming into the county: 200
Net migration: -9,850

Census reports:
Joe Sixpack county, NY population grew by 150 people year over year.

All this means is that in order for this county to grow so little, thousands of people had to leave the county that year. If the people who left were being replaced by the people coming in, the county would've grown by 10,000 people naturally.

Last edited by Gantz; 03-27-2015 at 02:38 PM..

Old 03-27-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
This is not true at all. They have a little positive growth because... BABIES. Nobody is moving in.
Again, for a millionth time, all of the upstate counties discussed here have massive population outflows, no exceptions. I posted the figures before.
That is incorrect, as the information shows a range, not that all Upstate NY counties have "massive" outflows. That database shows this. I'm talking about individual counties, not Upstate as a whole. Here's an article with the database at the bottom: Rockland was 2014's fastest growing county in New York, census says

That is based off of a yearly estimate(2013-2014). 2014 Census projections for New York | democratandchronicle.com

Old 03-27-2015, 02:28 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,705,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
That is incorrect, as the information shows a range, not that all Upstate NY counties have "massive" outflows. That database shows this. I'm talking about individual counties, not Upstate as a whole. Here's an article with the database at the bottom: Rockland was 2014's fastest growing county in New York, census says

That is based off of a yearly estimate(2013-2014). 2014 Census projections for New York | democratandchronicle.com
1. Again, look at my post above for an example of whats really going on. Just because a county is posting positive population growth, that doesn't mean people are not leaving the county in droves.
2. Rockland county is part of New York City urban area and is part of NYC MSA, not a part of upstate.
3. Even Rockland county has negative domestic population outflows, even acknowledged in the article you posted.
4. Rockland county is one of the fastest growers because ultra-orthodox jews there have a lot of babies and are compensating for all the people who are leaving. Passaic county, NJ has exactly the same thing going. They also get international migration.. because NYC.

Old 03-27-2015, 03:06 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,005,335 times
Uhhhhh,,, NY writer dude , I'm from queens,,, public schools attended, and only left because I also couldn't afford NYC. First of all , the hipster paying $3,000/month for his little studio is probably getting the money from mommy & daddy while he works as a waiter & therefore doesn't pay taxes. In addition, the taxes are needed for the enormous social services that these clowns in govt feel is an entitle my for anyone that just shows up

In addition, it's Wall Street that keeps this city from becoming another Detroit. During the 90s they threatened to leave for NJ until Giuliani offered them tax breaks to stay. If The Stock exchange threatens to leave again, I don't see our current communist mayor enticing them to stay.

Old 03-27-2015, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
1. Again, look at my post above for an example of whats really going on. Just because a county is posting positive population growth, that doesn't mean people are not leaving the county in droves.
2. Rockland county is part of New York City urban area and is part of NYC MSA, not a part of upstate.
3. Even Rockland county has negative domestic population outflows, even acknowledged in the article you posted.
4. Rockland county is one of the fastest growers because ultra-orthodox jews there have a lot of babies and are compensating for all the people who are leaving. Passaic county, NJ has exactly the same thing going. They also get international migration.. because NYC.
People come and go all of the time for various reasons(job, retirement, fresh start, etc.). My point is that at the end if the day, some counties in Upstate NY have had positive population growth even based on these estimates. This is regardless of how or why.

It was also interesting that the article stated that population growth doesn't necessarily equal a prosperous economy.

NY has always been a big immigrant state and if a county grows based upon an influx of immigrants, births, ect., it is still growth. With this said, they are just estimates and have been off in recent years. So, once the counts are official, then we will see what is really going on.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 03-27-2015 at 07:30 PM..

Old 03-28-2015, 07:15 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Nyc may be gaining population, but many of them are illegal aliens who don't contribute taxes and drain social services. When I retire, I can assure you I will move out of ny state just so that they can pay me my pension and not get the money back since I won't be spending it in NY and putting the money back in.
How do you know that the immigrants you see in NYC or anywhere in NY are "illegals"? Did you ask to see their visas or green cards or did you just assume that because they speak Spanish as their first language that they're "illegals"? Get a clue, the guy who speaks primarily Spanish in NYC is more likely to be a citizen than the guy who speaks English with an Irish or Canadian accent, who could very likely be an illegal immigrant. Why? Because most Hispanics in NY are Puerto Ricans who are US citizens from birth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York