Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2014, 01:14 PM

2,192 posts, read 1,645,057 times

Advertisements

On Tuesday I will be driving from NYC to Boston, and I must leave at 4:30pm (no choice). I know traffic will be horrible on probably almost all routes possible but I would just like to confirm the fastest route at that time?

As a possibility I looked at a map, and it seems this route is 20-30 miles longer, so I wouldn't use this route normally, but during rush hour:

I-95 from NYC to New Haven, CT and around Providence and just getting into Boston is terrible traffic even not during rush hour, so at rush hour it would be even worse.

I-84 from Danbury to Waterbury is pretty bad as well although not as bad as I-95 but its still bad, plus Hartford area is probably the worst congested part in any place at that time.

I know about CT-15 (Merritt Pkwy) but I still don't think its a good route especially during rush hour because I-95 seems like it will be so bad, and many others will be looking for alternative routes and this route is only 2-3 miles apart and runs parallel so I think many cars will be there. Can someone confirm this?

What is actually the best highway to get out of the Bronx Area actually? I-95, I-87, or Bronx River Pkwy/Sprain Brook Pkwy or Hutchinson River Pkwy? I can probably get out on any of those and still take any route, I know all will be bad, but which would be the least bad? I am not TOO familiar with NYC that much as I don't live there. I have only been there twice before.

Anyway my possibility route was to either get out on I-87 N or the Bronx River/Sprain Brook Pkwy, and then around White Plains area pick up the Taconic State Pkwy, take that north until it ends at I-90 (east of albany) and then I-90 E all the way to Boston? Do you think this route will have less traffic? How is I-90 across MA? (never driven it before west of Sturbridge)? And what about the Taconic State Pkwy?
And is this really a good alternative route during rush hour or will it be just as bad? or still take longer?
I thought of this route because it has me bypassing CT. By the way I am also wondering where is the traffic on this route once I leave NYC, is there any?

If TSP to I-90 is not the best route can someone confirm the better route during rush hour?

I am planning on stopping for dinner on the way, maybe somewhere in springfield if I take TSP to I-90. I am aware of all tolls and stuff so forget about that.

So could people that drive in this area more often help me out here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2014, 08:13 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
95/8/84/90 into BOS would be one alternative to avoid as much 95 as possible.

I would steer clear of 95 north of Milford. The stretch from Milford to New Haven is horrible during the rush hour (I've learned that the hard way.) As you approach the junction of 95/91, it's a nightmare with construction, cars, big rigs. You're better off Merrit/Wilbur Cross to 91N and then heading east via 84, picking up 90 around Sturbridge, MA. You're going to deal with some back up on 91 for the 84E off ramp, but it is nothing like the junction of 95/91.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:14 PM

86 posts, read 206,762 times
I wouldn't take I-84 through CT, it gets really backed up in between Danbury and Hartford. I drive out that way regularly. Taking the Taconic up to 90 might work, though it is going out of your way a little bit. The Taconic will almost certainly not be too congested once you are out of Westchester. But it is a windy road and the speed limit is 55. I-90 in Massachusetts wouldn't be too bad until you get past Springfield, then congestion is more likely to develop.

Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Taconic to 90 is going to add about 60 miles. I love the Taconic, but avoid it if the weather is questionable or if it is dark out.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
95/8/84/90 into BOS would be one alternative to avoid as much 95 as possible.

I would steer clear of 95 north of Milford. The stretch from Milford to New Haven is horrible during the rush hour (I've learned that the hard way.) As you approach the junction of 95/91, it's a nightmare with construction, cars, big rigs. You're better off Merrit/Wilbur Cross to 91N and then heading east via 84, picking up 90 around Sturbridge, MA. You're going to deal with some back up on 91 for the 84E off ramp, but it is nothing like the junction of 95/91.
You know to bypass the I-91 to I-84 ramp I could cross the river a little south and take CT-3 east and then CT-2 west to I-84. I have done this before but not during rush hour.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red4tribe View Post
I wouldn't take I-84 through CT, it gets really backed up in between Danbury and Hartford. I drive out that way regularly. Taking the Taconic up to 90 might work, though it is going out of your way a little bit. The Taconic will almost certainly not be too congested once you are out of Westchester. But it is a windy road and the speed limit is 55. I-90 in Massachusetts wouldn't be too bad until you get past Springfield, then congestion is more likely to develop.
I have driven the Taconic from White Plains to Peekskill before, but not north of that. But anyway I guess that is a good option then. By the time I get to springfield area in MA I think it will be past rush hour time (especially with traffic getting out of NYC). Also I don't think I-90 goes through springfield, I thought it was a bit north of it, kind of going around springfield. I could be wrong though.

Old 02-28-2014, 11:08 PM

86 posts, read 206,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I have driven the Taconic from White Plains to Peekskill before, but not north of that. But anyway I guess that is a good option then. By the time I get to springfield area in MA I think it will be past rush hour time (especially with traffic getting out of NYC). Also I don't think I-90 goes through springfield, I thought it was a bit north of it, kind of going around springfield. I could be wrong though.
You are correct, it does go a little north of Springfield. What I meant to do was to refer to the general area of Springfield. Once I 90 passed there, I have encountered heavy traffic at times, especially at the 84-90 interchange.

Old 03-02-2014, 08:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,800 times
Read the posters history...he talks about driving though Indiana, Virginia, Georgia, etc within a few months .

Old 03-03-2014, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameisjake2 View Post
Read the posters history...he talks about driving though Indiana, Virginia, Georgia, etc within a few months .
Yeah I drive quite a bit. I explore many places.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:01 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,422,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
I know about CT-15 (Merritt Pkwy) but I still don't think its a good route especially during rush hour because I-95 seems like it will be so bad, and many others will be looking for alternative routes and this route is only 2-3 miles apart and runs parallel so I think many cars will be there. Can someone confirm this?
ALL roads in that area will be bad. It is rush hour and you and everyone else is fleeing NYC. The Merritt Pkwy is better than 95 (anything is better than 95) but it will still be a sea of red tail lights. You just don't get the truck traffic on the Parkway.

There is no secret/non-traffic way to drive through southwestern CT at rush hour, so you will be sitting in traffic for a while any way you slice it. On the bright side, by the time you make it out of Fairfield County, rush hour in Hartford will be probably be over. Things really calm down after 6:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York