Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 02:01 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,322,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
North and South Utica are alright/fine, with some outer neighborhoods on the other sides being solid to even pretty nice(around Proctor High). New Hartford is a grossly underrated suburb with plenty of shopping, some of the area's major employers and one of the "best" school districts in Upstate NY. Nearby Clinton is a village with that New England like charm that has Hamilton College and good schools as well. When/if the Nanotech center in Marcy and the Dronetech site in Rome, it will be interesting to see what the area looks like.
Just in case you did get a position in the area, I would say to look here, eventhough it isn't as multicultural as you may be looking for(decent Asian student population, with a couple/few Black and Hispanic students in the district). I say that due to the things in the bold lettering and it still gives you access to things in Utica that you may like to partake in.
New Hartford Central School District / Homepage

Welcome | New Hartford Shopping Center
Sangertown Square
The Orchard, New Hartford, NY | Cameron Group LLC
Aspen Plaza, New Hartford, NY | Cameron Group LLC

Careers at Utica National | Utica National Insurance Group
PAR Technology Corporation | Hospitality Solutions
Welcome to Precision Castparts Corp.

This company is in nearby Oriskany: Jobs in Oriskany

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-15-2014 at 02:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2014, 02:04 PM

3,168 posts, read 5,533,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
That's less than the toll if you drove it yourself ($5.65).
Yep! I'm still looking for the opportunity to take Megabus or Bolt Bus. Haven't had the need to yet, but they're super cheap and accessible at least here in the Philly area.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:57 PM

21 posts, read 24,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by becca8377 View Post
advanced one way amtrak tickets are showing at $41 from albany to nyc. Megabus is even cheaper with one way fares for $5.
five dollars???!!!! Wow!

Old 08-15-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Just in case you did get a position in the area, I would say to look here, eventhough it isn't as multicultural as you may be looking for(decent Asian student population, with a couple/few Black and Hispanic students in the district). I say that due to the things in the bold lettering and it still gives you access to things in Utica that you may like to partake in.
New Hartford Central School District / Homepage

Welcome | New Hartford Shopping Center
Sangertown Square
The Orchard, New Hartford, NY | Cameron Group LLC
Aspen Plaza, New Hartford, NY | Cameron Group LLC

Careers at Utica National | Utica National Insurance Group
PAR Technology Corporation | Hospitality Solutions
Welcome to Precision Castparts Corp.

This company is in nearby Oriskany: Jobs in Oriskany
Thanks again. You are always so helpful in your responses.

Old 08-15-2014, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Sorry, but you don't get to dictate who can respond. I said nothing negative. We see people on here daily wanting to move and at least 90% of them don't have a job lined up.

Ithaca is awesome, but pricey and it's not a big town or area. Call center jobs will be few and far between. It's quite the hall to NYC. Ithaca is really a college town. Plenty of tourists as well. Most people I know in the area work at the colleges. I know people who went to Cornell and couldn't find a job in Ithaca. They found them in Albany and Connecticut.

You want to look from Albany and south if you want to be close to the city. Looking at a map won't help much unless you put in a start and end point and even that will not paint a true picture. Traffic is so crazy that it could take 3 hours one day and 6 the next because of accident or bridge work or a giraffe running lose.

By being in Albany, you can take Amtrak down for like 90 bucks. Or drive down to Poughkeepsie and take the METRO North down. You can't do that from Ithaca. Utica is about an hour west of Albany. It's significantly smaller than the Capitol Region so there's fewer job opportunities and places to live. Most people will say avoid Utica, but if you find a job, it is a bit cheaper to live there than Albany. Everywhere up here will be cheaper than NYC unless you want one of the mansions. Well, those will be cheaper than a NYC mansion, too.

You can look around City Data for info on each town. There's tons of info for every city, town, and village on here, but it's not in the forums.
No I can't dictate, but there is a way to be helpful and a way to sound condescending. Maybe that's just how you are but it comes off a bit rude. Thanks though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York