Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2014, 11:56 AM

275 posts, read 793,223 times

Advertisements

Next month, I plan on going to NYC from the Saratoga Springs area. My intention is to drive to Poughkeepsie and take Metro North into the city. I understand that the Metro North station in Poughkeepsie has a parking lot but that you need a permit to park there during the week. There is apparently a set of spaces that are metered and are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Does anyone have any info as to how full these metered spaces get? I would hate to drive down there and find that I can't find a space for my vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2014, 01:34 PM

5,300 posts, read 6,179,553 times
You would need a permit to park overnight at the station. Maximum meter parking is 16 hours according to "Laz Parking," the operator of the Metro North Parking Lot. There are other public parking spaces and garages in the city, but not convenient to the RR station.

Why not just take AMTRAK to NYC from Saratoga? There are 2 trains per day each way (the Adirondack and the Ethan Allen) and you won't stop at a commuter rail station every few miles south of Poughkeepsie, the seating is 4 across not 5 across as it is on Metro North and the trains terminate at Penn Station not Grand Central.

Old 09-26-2014, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post

Why not just take AMTRAK to NYC from Saratoga? There are 2 trains per day each way (the Adirondack and the Ethan Allen) and you won't stop at a commuter rail station every few miles south of Poughkeepsie, the seating is 4 across not 5 across as it is on Metro North and the trains terminate at Penn Station not Grand Central.
I looked into Amtrak. There are only 2 trains leaving SS to NYC. The first one leaves at 9:37AM and gets into Penn Station at 1:50PM. The last train going back to SS leaves at 3:15PM. So, this is not an option.

I know that the lot in Poughkeepsie is a "permit only" lot. However, I am to understand that there is a limited number of metered spaces. I was just wondering if they all fill up during the week.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:30 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandoyankee View Post
I looked into Amtrak. There are only 2 trains leaving SS to NYC. The first one leaves at 9:37AM and gets into Penn Station at 1:50PM. The last train going back to SS leaves at 3:15PM. So, this is not an option.

I know that the lot in Poughkeepsie is a "permit only" lot. However, I am to understand that there is a limited number of metered spaces. I was just wondering if they all fill up during the week.
You could catch the train from Albany instead, far more service to NYC, and they allow overnight/multiple night parking.

Old 09-28-2014, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
You could catch the train from Albany instead, far more service to NYC, and they allow overnight/multiple night parking.
Good suggestion. I only checked into trains leaving Saratoga Springs originally. I didn't realize they had so many trains going to Albany during the day. Only a 35 mile drive instead of 110. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York