Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 10:59 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,945,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Seneca Falls and parts of Auburn's West Side have a pretty high Italian influence. There's also a strong Slavic concentration in Auburn around/near Casey Park in the NW section of the city, with the Polish Falcon club and the Ukrainian National Club across the street from each other. There is also an Ancient Order of Hibernian club(Irish) in that area of Auburn. Geneva has a Sons of Italy on Prospect Ave east of Main Street and just west of Route 14.
You are scary in your knowledge of the territory. I mean this in a good way. Not that I'd want to live in NYS any more (I think it sucks), but honey, you sure know your stuff.
Past/present congressional worker, or something?

Last edited by MinkeyM; 02-19-2015 at 11:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 07:42 AM

93,201 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinkeyM View Post
You are scary in your knowledge of the territory. I mean this in a good way. Not that I'd want to live in NYS any more (I think it sucks), but honey, you sure know your stuff.
Past/present congressional worker, or something?
No, just a map and stat/info nerd that has been to some of these communities as well. I'll put it this way, I would read World Book encyclopedias as a kid for fun or would help my dad navigate different ways when going Down South with an atlas in my lap. That is why I think people are misinterpreting the knowledge/information for being a homer, when it is just simply relaying knowledge/information.

Also, to the OP, if you like baseball, Falcon Park(the baseball stadium for the Class A Auburn Doubledays of the NY-Penn League), is adjacent to Casey Park. So, you have the stadium, Casey Park, as well as the Polish Falcons and the Ukrainian National Club in the same area. Correction, they are about a block or two down Washington St from each other. Here's a streetview: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9420...ACNGg9uDwQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9386...jYok0p4jPQ!2e0

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9409...a1m1YCSUrA!2e0

You have these places in S/SW Auburn as well: Harriet Tubman Home for the Aged - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Home

On the West Side straddling both sides of the arterial, you have this market: Indelicato

As well as these institutions: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Itali...=page_internal

Knights of Columbus - St. Francis of Assisi / St. Hyacinth - Auburn, NY

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-20-2015 at 08:44 AM..

Old 02-23-2015, 09:41 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,194,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayton Sux View Post
Hmm...maybe a side trip to Cherry Valley! I just read about Cherry Valley in an old WPA Guide! It seems what is now US 20 was one of the major migration routes from New England into Upstate, so a lot of history on this road! Good! I am a big history buff too, tho my main reason for this route was more to experience the landscape and terraine....
I think that US 20 was originally the "Western Turnpike" (which is how Western Avenue in Albany/Guilderland got its name. Of course, the east-west turnpikes (which were private toll roads) were largely put out of business in the 1820s with the building of the Erie Canal, and the main road (and later railroads) across NYS moved northward to run along the canal route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York