Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 08:20 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,944 times

Advertisements

Hi,

With the expansion of Stewart Airport in New Windsor/Newburgh, you have to be careful that you stay out of the flight paths (Maybrook a small town that is in the flight paths)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 04:39 PM

46 posts, read 225,032 times
Ya think Westtown is safe from the flight paths?

Old 01-20-2008, 06:12 PM

30 posts, read 37,650 times
I don't mean to sound discouraging... but you should be aware of the cost of living, and commute. Keep in mind the area is beautiful, however you should expect to spend 3-5 hours per day in extra communting. Monthly pass from Beacon Metro North is $320 per month... most decent houses in Dutchess, start at $300K and taxes range $3500-$7-8K. Orange County is a little cheaper (depending where you live) and taxes are ridiculous... $5-6K... up to $15k-18k per year in warwick, Goshen for new construction. I see many people migrate north expecting a better standard of living and instead they spend their entire day coming to and from work. Really do your research. I'd even take a few jaunts up north by both train and bus before you make a firm decision to move.

Honestly... if you are living in NYC and your looking to improve your standard of living might consider moving out of the northeast.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:36 AM

505 posts, read 2,335,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2ny View Post
NJ2NY - Yes it is.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:27 PM

8 posts, read 24,316 times
Thanks for your honesty its appreciated. But I recently started working for a company in NYC that wil pay for my commute to and from anywhere near the city. Also, I have elderly parents who still live in the city so I need to stay close. Again thanks for the input and I am only looking to rent with option to buy for the first year. This way if it doesnt work out I always have NYC that I can return too.

Old 01-21-2008, 05:22 PM

505 posts, read 2,335,752 times
OMG....I just double checked the post and I noticed my response and I realized I typed yes it is...I meant to say that it is not! I hope it didn't cause any confusion there...sorry.

Ok, so Westtown, NY IS NOT in the flight path for Stewart International Airport. I will say though that Westtown is a far commute to get into NYC. There are some people that do it, but most think it's too far.

What are you looking at for a rent payment and your bedroom requirements that way I can give you a couple of towns to maybe look at. Depending on where you want to be dollar-wise, you may be able to get into the Monroe area.

Good luck!

~Joey

Old 01-22-2008, 05:20 AM

2,505 posts, read 6,148,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2ny View Post
Definitely safe

Old 01-22-2008, 08:08 AM

88 posts, read 530,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chayenne1219a View Post
How long is the commute from the dutchess county area and can you name a few towns that have good school areas? My kids are in j.h.s and h.s, so I need a town with a good school county. And a good commute foe me?

The commute for me from the New Hamburg station to NYC is approxx. 1hr15min- 1hr30min one way.

An ideal town to live in, in your case, with a decent junior highschool as well as highschool, within a convenient distance to the Metro North would be Wappingers Falls (as far as Dutchess County goes).

From a commuter's point of view, it would be easier (if you are able) to move a little closer to the city. Towns like Garrison, Cold Spring, Cortlandt are stops on the Metro North and will shave 1hr off your round trip commute daily...which after a while takes a toll. No worries, if you are not able because the ride is nice because I just sleep the whole time. I am always well rested as a result!

Old 02-05-2008, 05:44 PM

No it didnt cause a confusion. I just want some positive feedback as to moving upstate. I have lived in the city for over 30 years and do not want my children to continue to attend school here.

I am currently in the market for a 3-4 bedroom one family my budget fluctuates a little but I can afford anywhere from $1400 to 1600 per month.
Like I said commuting doesnt hurt me I have done about 25 years now from the boroughs to the good old NYC so it doesnt kill to add an extra couple of minutes and as for the airport being nearby I can handle that it will make traveling during vacation time much easier.

If you can suggest some good areas to look at. Please let me know once the weather improves I plan to take a few trips up there on my own to get a really good feel for the area. I have friends already in Poughkeepsie and yes I have been warned to stay away. I also have friends in kingston dont know much about that one though have not had an opportunity to visit this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymarine View Post
OMG....I just double checked the post and I noticed my response and I realized I typed yes it is...I meant to say that it is not! I hope it didn't cause any confusion there...sorry.

Ok, so Westtown, NY IS NOT in the flight path for Stewart International Airport. I will say though that Westtown is a far commute to get into NYC. There are some people that do it, but most think it's too far.

What are you looking at for a rent payment and your bedroom requirements that way I can give you a couple of towns to maybe look at. Depending on where you want to be dollar-wise, you may be able to get into the Monroe area.

Good luck!

~Joey

Old 02-05-2008, 05:49 PM

I am currently not looking to own any property at this time. I just want to rent so that I can get a better feel of the area. I have friends upstate and have many visits and know what the areas are like I do enjoy the traveling time to and from there and the view. But as for the area I wasnt to thrilled with Poughkeepsie. Which is why I placed the post so that I can get further info from those who are living and commuting on a daily basis.

I already spend at least anywhere from 2 - 3 hours a day commuting between work home and school so the added time will not affect me. I enjoy the quite time alone on the train ride. so long as it brings me direct to Penn station or Port I dont have a problem.

But thanks for the input good or bad its worth it anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukikkgr View Post
I don't mean to sound discouraging... but you should be aware of the cost of living, and commute. Keep in mind the area is beautiful, however you should expect to spend 3-5 hours per day in extra communting. Monthly pass from Beacon Metro North is $320 per month... most decent houses in Dutchess, start at $300K and taxes range $3500-$7-8K. Orange County is a little cheaper (depending where you live) and taxes are ridiculous... $5-6K... up to $15k-18k per year in warwick, Goshen for new construction. I see many people migrate north expecting a better standard of living and instead they spend their entire day coming to and from work. Really do your research. I'd even take a few jaunts up north by both train and bus before you make a firm decision to move.

Honestly... if you are living in NYC and your looking to improve your standard of living might consider moving out of the northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York