Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:45 AM

136 posts, read 998,260 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are looking for a nice small to mid-size town (10,000 to 50,000 people) in WNY or CNY with nice old historical homes and downtown. We are not interested in any suburbs, but rather a 'stand alone town' that has its own seperate community, civic engagement, downtown, etc.

We do not want to pay over $140K for a nice pre-1930s three bedroom old home. This rules out Ithica, as we prefer not to live house-poor. We have two young kids ages 4 and 7, so good or decent schools are important. We don't do the nightlife bit, but like good food, good books and non-motarized outdoor recreation such as running, hiking, kayaking and cross-country skiiing.

Please share with us you thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:38 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,729 times
Lewiston? NY? Historic Lewiston, NY

Lewiston, NY (New York) Houses, Apartments, Cars, Mortgage Status, and Residents Info

does this sound interesting? not far if you want to go into the city, yet far enough away to enjoy its unique heritage

Old 10-16-2007, 01:12 PM

803 posts, read 2,969,558 times
I think you're looking for about the same thing as we are. Check our 2 posts in this same forum about Rochester and Buffalo, and I think you'll find alot of your questions answered!

maybe I'll see ya' up there, as well!!!

Old 10-16-2007, 02:10 PM

106 posts, read 371,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisruns2far View Post
Hello,

We are looking for a nice small to mid-size town (10,000 to 50,000 people) in WNY or CNY with nice old historical homes and downtown.
I'm a big fan of Leroy, NY. Small-ish historic village, many beautiful homes & buildings from the late 1800's - early 1900's. Nice homes in your price range, and it's about a half hour drive to Rochester to get a slighly more urban fix. Oh, and it's home to the world-famous Jello Museum.

Leroy is in Genesee County, and if you decide to visit, check out Batavia, too.

Good luck with your search!

Old 10-16-2007, 03:03 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,265,553 times
If you don't mind snow and you're coming from Oregon you might like Oswego. It's like a miniature Portland: very outdoors oriented, lots of civic engagement, many parks, excellent schools, completely walkable, practically no crime, and the house you'd be looking for would be half your anticipated budget.

There are miles of waterfront walkways right thru the middle of the city, tons of activities for kids, and you're centrally located in the middle of everything upstate has to offer in the way of culture and nature. You will have to commute, but Syracuse is 35 miles away.

Old 10-16-2007, 03:06 PM

131 posts, read 741,932 times
Aaaah, an opportunity for me to plug Medina. Halfway between Rochester & Buffalo, right on the Erie Canal, it's a small town (7,000 pop.), with a newly refurbished historic downtown, with some good restaurants. 1 hour to Rochester, 1/2 hour to Lockport, 45 minutes to Amherst shopping and Niagara Falls, 1 hour to Buffalo.

The Erie Canal trail is used for biking, hiking and cross-country skiing (or just a nice walk with your dog). The canal itself is used for recreational boating, and canoeing and kayaking would be part of it. Nearby Glenwood Lake would also accommodate boating, and Lake Ontario is only 15 minutes away, with state parks on the lake in several locations, from Lewiston (which I agree is another beautiful historic town - but more expensive) to Rochester.

Medina has fabulous old historic homes, some with amazing architectural details (spires, cupolas, dripping gingerbread) - many under $100,000. Not that it's my intention to plug my own home, but as an example, we just restored (beautifully ) an 1870, 3 bedroom, 2,000 sq.ft. home, which we have listed for sale at $64,900. And there are many others in that price range.

Don't really know about schools - we have no kids. As the town is so small, all the kids go to the same middle and high school. We have friends with teens who say the high school is excellent. There is also a private Christian school in the village.

Jobs - limited. You'd likely be commuting elsewhere.

Taxes, high all over NY, but lower in this area.

Old 10-17-2007, 05:48 PM

136 posts, read 998,260 times
Default Oswego Snow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
If you don't mind snow and you're coming from Oregon you might like Oswego. It's like a miniature Portland: very outdoors oriented, lots of civic engagement, many parks, excellent schools, completely walkable, practically no crime, and the house you'd be looking for would be half your anticipated budget.

There are miles of waterfront walkways right thru the middle of the city, tons of activities for kids, and you're centrally located in the middle of everything upstate has to offer in the way of culture and nature. You will have to commute, but Syracuse is 35 miles away.
Thanks for the info....I had been thinking about Oswego as the snow doesn't bother me....I like it and I like winter sports. But my wife is somewhat concerned about how she would adapt to that much snow even though she is a Cleveland, OH native. I've lived in places that got on average between 50-70 inches, what does the triple digit inches of snow really entail, not withstanding your February 2007 storms. Is it mostly just a constant dusting of an inch or two more days than not?

Old 10-17-2007, 07:47 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,265,553 times
Anything less than a foot is considered a 'dusting'. Generally we will get a foot a night in Jan and Feb and on occassion even more. A storm means we'll have two feet plus a night, every night for a week or so. This usually happens around the end of January and beginning of February.

Buy a house with a garage and things won't be so bad as long as you don't stuff it so much you can't park in it. Carry a long handled broom in your car for snow removal and get a triple A card. Your choice of a snowblower or hiring someone to plow (which I'd recommend) and don't let it build up. If commuting, people will understand if you have to call in once in a while because of bad weather. Roof shoveling is mandatory once it gets above 1 1/2 feet up there so as not to melt into the weight of ice or if it's wet snow, which it usually is. This doesn't necessarily happen every year. We look at it as a time of regrouping, of family nesting time, especially if you're not the one doing the shoveling. Summer is insanely busy with all there is to do and all the interesting venues within a day's drive.

I forgot to add that if you like golf it's $10 here w/o a cart. It freaks me out to see what it costs elsewhere, and there are several nice hilly courses too. Before 5PM the movie theatre is $5, and it's an art deco multiplex. The kids all get free music lessons at school with several bands, orchestras, etc. Hockey, sailing lessons, tall ships, swimming, stretches of vast sandy beaches nearby, the rustic and artsy Adirondacks. You won't go wrong here.

Last edited by Sgoldie; 10-17-2007 at 07:56 PM..

Old 10-17-2007, 08:16 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,855,729 times
omg the snow isnt that bad - i am 43 years old - never had a problem lol - it was worse when i lived in boston mass
colleen

Old 10-18-2007, 06:21 PM

50 posts, read 172,245 times
Someone else said Lewiston like I was thinking. Its very nice and quiet and clean and old there. Its on Lake Ontario. Great setting and historical too. Steer waaaaay clear of Buffalo!!!!! Come to think of it, don't come to WNY as its all downhill from here. Maybe look into Syracuse (its closer to NYC)...

Last edited by Leaving NYS; 10-18-2007 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: Lewiston afterthought: The urban sprawl will soon hit there too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York