Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 06:57 PM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times

Advertisements

I noticed that there are not a few private schools smattered around Dutchess, Columbia and Ulster counties (ex. Woodstock Country Day), including several Waldorf schools. Tuition is not as expensive as Manhattan but certainly not cheap and still costs an arm and leg. Does anyone know in which fields the families who send their kids to these schools work in and how they can afford the cost?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2015, 01:58 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,067,847 times
I'm sure that most are professionals, perhaps with a working spouse who is also professional. I'm sure some of the kids are from lower income families on scholarship as well.

Old 08-04-2015, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,055 times
Most of the people I know who send their children to private schools work in the medical field: physicians, optometrists, dermatologists, etc. to name a few that I know of, as well as people who work as teachers or administrators in public schools actually who would rather send their children to private schools as to be in with the "better crop" of students (Which is partially true, but not entirely, just depends on where exactly you live in these areas). As to how they can afford the cost, they get paid enough to afford it is my best guess, since I haven't heard of anyone having their children get scholarships for going to private schools but maybe some do, I haven't done research into it myself since the public education isn't too bad around here to truly consider going private with the exceptions of the city of Poughkeepsie schools and maybe city of Beacon schools too, but Beacon is on the up swing nowadays so I'm not sure how true it is to say that about their public schools now.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:06 AM

Could there be a lot of NYC expats moving into upstate areas but still yearning for amenities they had in the city, like private schools? I saw this old article where there was a comment from a mom trying out a local public school:

I, Citiot: A Family's Move Upstate -- New York Magazine

Old 08-09-2015, 07:04 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
Could there be a lot of NYC expats moving into upstate areas but still yearning for amenities they had in the city, like private schools? I saw this old article where there was a comment from a mom trying out a local public school:

I, Citiot: A Family's Move Upstate -- New York Magazine
There are private schools all over Upstate NY and as mentioned earlier in the thread, it could children of professionals of various occupations that attend them or even working class families that make the sacrifice in order for their children to attend such schools.

I don't think that Columbia County, which outside of the city of Hudson is quite rural/small town, doesn't have a private high school. I know that there is Lourdes in Poughkeepsie and Coleman Catholic just outside of Kingston.

If you go further Upstate, the metros and even some of the small cities have private schools from Pre K/K to grade 12. Batavia, Plattsburgh, Olean and Auburn are small, non metros cities that come to mind in this regard. There used to be more small cities in the past that offered this, but private/Catholic high schools closed over the years, with Geneva being the most recent with the closing of DeSales HS a couple of years ago.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-09-2015 at 07:15 AM..

Old 08-09-2015, 07:12 AM

/\/\

In the Chatham vicinity, there is a Waldorf school (Hawthorne Valley) and the Mountain Road school whose curricula looks similar to Waldorf. They charge up to $20K/year though which is quite a hefty price tag for a rural/semi rural area.

Old 08-09-2015, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
/\/\

In the Chatham vicinity, there is a Waldorf school (Hawthorne Valley) and the Mountain Road school whose curricula looks similar to Waldorf. They charge up to $20K/year though which is quite a hefty price tag for a rural/semi rural area.
A school like that may be marketed or appeal to people that have moved to the area from Downstate. You do have schools in Upstate like Albany Academy, Manlius-Pebble Hill, the Park School, the Nichols School, Elmwood-Franklin, the Harley School, Allendale-Columbia, etc, that may rival that school in terms of tuition. There are Waldorf and Montessori options in other parts of Upstate NY as well.

Here are tuition cost lists for some of these schools: Financial Information - Manlius Pebble Hill School

Tuition | The Albany Academies

Elmwood Franklin School...Thinking Beyond.

Tuition, Acorn Grants & Financial Aid | The Harley School

https://allendalecolumbia.org/admiss...n-information/

Admissions

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-09-2015 at 07:54 AM..

Old 08-09-2015, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are private schools all over Upstate NY and as mentioned earlier in the thread, it could children of professionals of various occupations that attend them or even working class families that make the sacrifice in order for their children to attend such schools.

I don't think that Columbia County, which outside of the city of Hudson is quite rural/small town, doesn't have a private high school. I know that there is Lourdes in Poughkeepsie and Coleman Catholic just outside of Kingston.

If you go further Upstate, the metros and even some of the small cities have private schools from Pre K/K to grade 12. Batavia, Plattsburgh, Olean and Auburn are small, non metros cities that come to mind in this regard. There used to be more small cities in the past that offered this, but private/Catholic high schools closed over the years, with Geneva being the most recent with the closing of DeSales HS a couple of years ago.
Here is the tuition info for Our Lady of Lourdes in Poughkeepsie and Coleman Catholic in Hurley: Tuition | Admissions | Our Lady of Lourdes

John A. Coleman Catholic High School; Private preparatory high school in Ulster County and the Hudson Valley

Here is the tuition for some of the other private high schools in Upstate NY: Academics - Seton Catholic Central School - Plattsburgh, NY

Fort Drum Schools, Watertown, Fort Drum, NY - Immaculate Heart Central Schools

Tuition & Financial Aid @ Seton Catholic Central

Tuition & Student Aid

Tuition and Fees | Tyburn Academy of Mary Immaculate

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch...sh_High_School

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notr...avia,_New_York)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notr...ns_High_School

Tuition & Financial Aid | Saratoga Central Catholic School

Admissions : Bishop Maginn High School

http://www.cbaalbany.org/PDF/2014Enrollment.pdf
Christian Brothers Academy | Albany, NY private high school, CBA high school

FAQ : Catholic Central High School

Academy of the Holy Names -Albany, NY ~Tuition & Fees

Tuition and Fees | Doane Stuart

http://www.cbasyracuse.org/admissions/tuition-aid/

Welcome to Bishop Grimes:Tuition and Aid - Bishop Grimes

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bish...or_High_School

Admissions - Tuition & Aid - Tuition Information - Aquinas Institute

Tuition & Financial Aid - McQuaid Jesuit

Tuition Info - Our Lady of Mercy School for Young Women

Tuition and Fees - Canisius High School

St. Joseph's Collegiate Institute

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sain...ings,_New_York)

https://www.cardinalohara.com/admiss...n-information/

St. Mary's High School

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-09-2015 at 12:27 PM..

Old 08-13-2015, 05:41 PM

More schools: Faith Heritage School - a multi-denominational Christian SchoolFaith Heritage School | a multi-denominational Christian School

Mekeel Christian Academy

http://www.northwoodschool.com/Clue/Home/22386

New School Syracuse

Cascadilla School

Merriday School

Montessori Discovery School, Syracuse/Dewitt NY -- Preschool and Kindergarten for ages 3-6

Montessori School of the Finger Lakes

Chemung Valley Montessori School | Elmira, NYHome - Chemung Valley Montessori School | Elmira, NY

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 08-13-2015 at 05:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York