Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 06:48 PM

6 posts, read 16,977 times

Advertisements

Here's the current situation. I'm 25 years old and currently receiving social security benefits of $820/month. I currently live in an income based apartment complex, because rent in my area is sky high (500-800+ a month). I don't want to live in subsidized housing all my life, but can't afford a regular apartment. If I did get one, I would have nothing to live on. I am also currently looking for work, but haven't had much luck so far. I can only work 20 hours a week to keep my benefits. And, I have heard in some ways it is cheaper to own a home then rent. The problem is coming up with money for a down payment, and my credit isn't all that great, last time I checked it was 565. So, can I buy a house? if so, how do I go about doing this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 08:10 PM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurakitty View Post
Here's the current situation. I'm 25 years old and currently receiving social security benefits of $820/month. I currently live in an income based apartment complex, because rent in my area is sky high (500-800+ a month). I don't want to live in subsidized housing all my life, but can't afford a regular apartment. If I did get one, I would have nothing to live on. I am also currently looking for work, but haven't had much luck so far. I can only work 20 hours a week to keep my benefits. And, I have heard in some ways it is cheaper to own a home then rent. The problem is coming up with money for a down payment, and my credit isn't all that great, last time I checked it was 565. So, can I buy a house? if so, how do I go about doing this?
Find a rich boyfriend

Old 08-13-2015, 01:02 PM

141 posts, read 209,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Find a rich boyfriend
Blunt - but truthful and I agree.

1. No income
2. Low credit score

Those two alone completely take you out of the playing field.

BTW it's not cheaper to own. Unless you have money available for the many things that can go wrong with a home, you'll find yourself in deeper financial trouble than you already are. I spend a ridiculous amount of money a year on upkeep. Some comes back from taxes, but there's always more out of pocket, than in.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:11 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,252,791 times
Post this in the Detroit forum...plenty of houses there for $5-$15,000 for sale if you are willing to move and don't mind a progressive neighborhood.

Old 08-13-2015, 06:37 PM

1,388 posts, read 1,946,329 times
Quote:
I can only work 20 hours a week to keep my benefits. And, I have heard in some ways it is cheaper to own a home then rent. The problem is coming up with money for a down payment, and my credit isn't all that great, last time I checked it was 565. So, can I buy a house? if so, how do I go about doing this?
Actually, it's that you only MAY work 20 hours per week for those benefits. From what I've read, it sounds like you CAN work more.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:32 PM

7,682 posts, read 1,271,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivyaleah View Post
BTW it's not cheaper to own. Unless you have money available for the many things that can go wrong with a home, you'll find yourself in deeper financial trouble than you already are. I spend a ridiculous amount of money a year on upkeep. Some comes back from taxes, but there's always more out of pocket, than in.
Take my word for it--home ownership is HIGHLY overrated....

Old 08-13-2015, 09:58 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,490,348 times
Quote:
Laurakitty:
1} your housing costs should be NO MORE than 30% of your income for the month, so $246 in your case. THAT SHOULD INCLUDE ALL housing expenses, too! {mortgage, PMI {Private Mortgage Insurance {you will need that as you will be putting less than 20% cash down, i take it}, electric, , homeowners insurance {A REQUIREMENT by the mortgage company}}, so that will reduce your actual mortgage allotment amount OUT OF the $246/m.
2} going to 50% housing costs is what got so many people foreclosed upon lately! even IF $246 could be devoted totally to mortgage, that leaves just $164 for ALL other housing expenses. HECk RENTER's insurance {far cheaper than homeowners} is $10/m! That leaves $154 for heat, water/sewer bill, a/c if you have it, electricity {mine is $170/m for nat. gas heat/hot water/cooking, electric and lights, a/c,ext for a 832sqft home!!!}
3} with a credit score of just 565, honey, your score is in the toilet, you couldn't qualify if the interest rate was 29%! {VERY BAD}
4} we just replaced {in the last 5 years}: the nat. gas furnace {$3,600}, the roof {1,300 dollars}, the nat gas h2o heater {$125} the stove {$800, simple {cheap} one, nat gas}, the washer {$450+}, the dryer{$399+}, the furnace has failed three times in five years, the first time costing $1025 in repairs,the second about $300-emergency call extra}, the third $250 . So in five years TOTAL REPAIRS: $8,249!!!! OR $1,649.80/year OR $137.48 PER MONTH EACH MONTH OF THE LAST FIVE YEARS! ANd THIS Year ain't over..we discoverd a soft spot in the bathroom floor making a hole next to the tub! {our home is 33 years old and showing it terribly}

SO NOw: you have: IF you COULD do it for this:
mortgage:$246
utilities: $164
REPAIRS: $137 Equals $547!!!

~That leaves you $273 FOR EVERY THING else...like FOOD {though you probably get SNAP benefits} including medications {you are on SSi, I assume you must have some copays?
~How about: bus ticket $50 -leaves now $223 for everything
~Buy a lawnmower? Buy a snow shovel? buy ice melt? Buy flowers, trees shrubs?
~Buy furniture to fill your new house?
~Buy new carpet if you don't like whats there,
~refinish hardwoods if they are there,and you don't like.
etc etc etc
a home is NOT cheap...
OH, and I forgot PROPERTY TAXES! You have to pay them too!

Then there are the facts you get only $820/income, cr score of 565 {very bad}, NO 20% to put down, and...to answer your question,

TA DA!

NO, YOU CANNOT BUY A HOUSE!

Thank you for playing!

HEre's what you can do.. 1] get some credit, pay IT OFF each month, to build a credit score {it takes time, long time},
2] work at saving every penny you can..collect returnable cans/bottles curbside if you have to out of public trash bins, etc.,
3]spend not dime more than you have to for clothes..use salvation army or goodwill thrift stores!
4}SAVE SAVE and IMPROVE YOUR credit score..put say your utility bill automatically on your credit card and PAY IT OFF each month.
5} LIVE on 80% of what you get...ie :$656 instead,and SAVE the ohter 20% or the $164 for SAVINGS
$164 x 12 =$1,968 savings in a year!In 5 years [with paltry interest} you'll have $9840, and 10 years you will have $19,688...mAYBe NOW you have a down payment!!!
6}volunteer 500 hours "sweat equity" at Habitat for Humanity to get on list for a house. yOU will have savings then and have credit then!

Best of luck to you!

Last edited by galaxyhi; 08-13-2015 at 11:04 PM..

Old 08-14-2015, 07:21 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Laurakitty:
1} your housing costs should be NO MORE than 30% of your income for the month, so $246 in your case. THAT SHOULD INCLUDE ALL housing expenses, too! {mortgage, PMI {Private Mortgage Insurance {you will need that as you will be putting less than 20% cash down, i take it}, electric, , homeowners insurance {A REQUIREMENT by the mortgage company}}, so that will reduce your actual mortgage allotment amount OUT OF the $246/m.
2} going to 50% housing costs is what got so many people foreclosed upon lately! even IF $246 could be devoted totally to mortgage, that leaves just $164 for ALL other housing expenses. HECk RENTER's insurance {far cheaper than homeowners} is $10/m! That leaves $154 for heat, water/sewer bill, a/c if you have it, electricity {mine is $170/m for nat. gas heat/hot water/cooking, electric and lights, a/c,ext for a 832sqft home!!!}
3} with a credit score of just 565, honey, your score is in the toilet, you couldn't qualify if the interest rate was 29%! {VERY BAD}
4} we just replaced {in the last 5 years}: the nat. gas furnace {$3,600}, the roof {1,300 dollars}, the nat gas h2o heater {$125} the stove {$800, simple {cheap} one, nat gas}, the washer {$450+}, the dryer{$399+}, the furnace has failed three times in five years, the first time costing $1025 in repairs,the second about $300-emergency call extra}, the third $250 . So in five years TOTAL REPAIRS: $8,249!!!! OR $1,649.80/year OR $137.48 PER MONTH EACH MONTH OF THE LAST FIVE YEARS! ANd THIS Year ain't over..we discoverd a soft spot in the bathroom floor making a hole next to the tub! {our home is 33 years old and showing it terribly}

SO NOw: you have: IF you COULD do it for this:
mortgage:$246
utilities: $164
REPAIRS: $137 Equals $547!!!

~That leaves you $273 FOR EVERY THING else...like FOOD {though you probably get SNAP benefits} including medications {you are on SSi, I assume you must have some copays?
~How about: bus ticket $50 -leaves now $223 for everything
~Buy a lawnmower? Buy a snow shovel? buy ice melt? Buy flowers, trees shrubs?
~Buy furniture to fill your new house?
~Buy new carpet if you don't like whats there,
~refinish hardwoods if they are there,and you don't like.
etc etc etc
a home is NOT cheap...
OH, and I forgot PROPERTY TAXES! You have to pay them too!

Then there are the facts you get only $820/income, cr score of 565 {very bad}, NO 20% to put down, and...to answer your question,

TA DA!

NO, YOU CANNOT BUY A HOUSE!

Thank you for playing!

HEre's what you can do.. 1] get some credit, pay IT OFF each month, to build a credit score {it takes time, long time},
2] work at saving every penny you can..collect returnable cans/bottles curbside if you have to out of public trash bins, etc.,
3]spend not dime more than you have to for clothes..use salvation army or goodwill thrift stores!
4}SAVE SAVE and IMPROVE YOUR credit score..put say your utility bill automatically on your credit card and PAY IT OFF each month.
5} LIVE on 80% of what you get...ie :$656 instead,and SAVE the ohter 20% or the $164 for SAVINGS
$164 x 12 =$1,968 savings in a year!In 5 years [with paltry interest} you'll have $9840, and 10 years you will have $19,688...mAYBe NOW you have a down payment!!!
6}volunteer 500 hours "sweat equity" at Habitat for Humanity to get on list for a house. yOU will have savings then and have credit then!

Best of luck to you!
You actually took the time to break everything down for a phony post?
Again, a rich boyfriend will make her "Dreams" come true.

Old 08-14-2015, 12:50 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
Yes you can buy a house.

There are plenty of houses for sale pretty cheap and the sellers are very anxious to get rid of it. You can buy a house with no money down, with the seller holding the paper. Question is, would you want to live there?

Old 08-14-2015, 02:49 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Some well written posts, buying a house is something you earn it is not a right with that said have you earned enough to buy one? Regardless of your income source owning a home even in a cheap locality is likely above what you have available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York