Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 07:04 AM

127 posts, read 324,446 times

Advertisements

Hi!

about 2 weeks ago I was driving tru 390 going from Rochester to Elmira, NY (Southbound). I was passing the Cohocton area when I saw a construction in the Northbound side about 3 miles away from me and a police car was standing on it.. I had my cruise about 71 miles, I was on the right lane and about 3 to 4 cars were speeding higher than me. ( and I saw the cop btw) This cop went all the way around and made a turn God knows where and went and stoped me about 5 miles later. I told him I wasn't speeding and I try to be as nice as I could he was pretty much a "wise guy" and said it was only me who was speeding, I said I apologize but I don't think i wasn't, at least not 87 like he was saying, so he gave me the ticket anyways... the worse part its that he put on the deposition that I said: I apologize if I was speeding.. which I never said!! Now yesterday I was driving again around the same area and he stopped me again (!!!) all the way from the other side (again!!!) I was driving on the left lane this time because I was passing a car on the right side that was doing around 60 miles, because I needed to pass him I probably increased my speed to something above 70 but not that much (not saying thats ok either) but to my disbelief this cop went all the way from the other side made a u-turn and got me like 3 miles later, and it was the same freakin' cop!!! He said I was doing 90 this time!! 90!! I drive a lot because of my job and I have to be on my bluetooth phone a lot so I never go more than 70-71 for safety reasons!! I have a FL tag and I hate to say this but I think he is crazy picking on me because of it!! He kept saying so you can't come to court right?? and I think if I can understand this right is because if I don't go to court I got to play guilty and pay God knows how much right?? All I said its I didn't know but I am actually preparing my traveling schedule to show up, but other than that I don't know what to do.. please help me!! I have a great record from FL (I only been giving a ticket once when I was like 20 and the charges were dropped) and now here I'm being stop by the same guy twice!! is it because I'm from FL and maybe that I'm spanish?? I hate to say this but I'm super sadden by this I don't have the money to afford this.. I'm just a college graduate with her first big job. I think he thinks I must have a lot of money but saddenly I don't!! should I get a lawyer to fight these two tickets off? or should I do it myself? I'm so afraid of being called a liar but that is the honest truth please HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 07:09 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
When you're stopped for speeding and you were NOT, ask to see the radar gun. Otherwise, I would write a letter to the DA, along with your checked-not guilty ticket (make a copy first), explaining the situation. Clean up your post here a bit (no run-on sentences, start new paragraphs, etc.), that explains the whole story and what the officer said. All of it.

Old 11-09-2010, 07:18 AM

well, I just never get stopped so i'm kinda innocent when it comes to all of this, I'll keep it in mind tho.. well actually since I brought my car here I've been stopped a couple times because I don't have the front tag (which you don't have to in FL) but yeah I plead not guilty already for the 1st one and I received a letter saying I have to go to court and I could send a letter saying why I think I am innocent so yeah I guess I should do that.

Now I am debating wheather I should get a lawyer (and how much they charge) but maybe since I have 2 tickets it may be cheaper and more time efficient if the lawyer gets a discount in both.. or will he charge for both tickets separaterly ? oh boy!

Old 11-09-2010, 07:29 AM

2,440 posts, read 5,759,591 times
To Whom It May Concern:

About 2 weeks ago I was driving on Rte. 390, from Rochester to Elmira, NY (southbound). I was passing the Cohocton area when I saw construction in the northbound side about 3 miles away from me... a police car was stationed there. I'd had cruise control set to 71 mph and was in the right lane. There were also three or four cars speeding by, much faster than I was going. The officer did not stop me then, nor did he stop any other cars but DID pull me over about 5 miles later. I politely told him that I was NOT speeding and he smugly insisted that I was. I apologized, in hope that he would see that I wasn't TRYING to be argumentative, but reiterated that I was not driving at 87 mph, as he said I was. I was given a ticket for speeding at 87mph and quoted as having said "I apologize if I was speeding." Again, I did NOT say that.

Yesterday, I was driving in this area again and the SAME officer pulled me over. Again. I had been driving in the left lane this time, as I was passing a car on the right that was going well below the speed limit. I sped up slightly (no more than 70 mph), to pass this vehicle, and was pulled over approximately three miles later. This same officer said that I had been driving 90mph this time! NINETY miles per hour?! I absolutely was not.

I frequently travel for work, during which time I wear a wireless bluetooth headseat to take work-related calls, as NY State requires. Because of this, I never drive at more than 71mph- for obvious safety reasons. I do have Florida license plates, as I very recently re-located to this area. I can't help but think this was a factor in my being singled out, for lack of a better phrase, on the highway. The ticketing officer, both times, repeated his assumption that I wouldn't be able to appear in court. I did not correct him.

I had a very good driving record in Florida and it seems suspicious, especially when considering both occasions, for me to have been pulled over twice in a two-week period, by the same officer, who seemed to want to make sure that I would not be able to appear in court for these tickets. Or, this officer's radar gun is in gross need of repair or replacement.

Again, I was not speeding at 87 and 90 mph. It is not safe to be travelling on any road at those speeds and I would absolutely never drive that fast, neither here in NY State nor in Florida.

Thank you for you attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
(your name)

Last edited by proulxfamily; 11-09-2010 at 07:55 AM..

Old 11-09-2010, 07:46 AM

wow thank you this sounds so much better than what I wrote ;o)

Old 11-09-2010, 09:12 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,717,534 times
I'd challenge this. In those rural towns they just expect people to plead guilty since nobody wants to drive all that way for a speeding ticket. It sounds like he didn't even clock you on radar.

Old 11-10-2010, 04:41 PM

41 posts, read 178,498 times
Get an attorney!

Old 12-13-2012, 03:27 PM

5 posts, read 28,376 times
Hello,
Last Thanksgiving I was driving my mom's car with my mom & sister and leftovers to my son's in Atlanta (by Cohocton). I was just outside Cohocton and was pulled over for speeding approx 1/2 mi from the light before the back Atlanta Rd supposedly driving over 30 (I'm 60 btw). There's nothing better to do on the holiday but harass visitors!! It was reduced but it cost me over $100-outrageous!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM

1 posts, read 4,393 times
What was the officer's name?

Old 05-23-2016, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,613 times
on the 5/20/2016, I was driving on Rte.390, from Brooklyn to Henrietta,Rochester NY (northbound). I was passing the COHOCTON area, when I saw a police car park in the median about one and half to two miles away from me, the time was 11.40 am. I was cruising at about 80 mph.In front of me were three cars going much faster and the police pull me over for speeding and give me a thicket.they are choosing there victims (MINORITY). IN this time and age we are stilled caught up in the pass, shame. THANK YOU ND.From Brooklyn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York