Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2016, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,540 times

Advertisements

Please help! My grandparents have a beautiful house in Jay New York and I love going up there during the winter and summer breaks. I going to start college later this fall and have been trying to come up with a major to study. My goal is to move to upstate new York after I complete college but I know how hard it is to get a good job there. I am considering being an accounting major and possibly becoming a CPA. Does any one know if there are jobs like that up there? I really like the secluded small town in the mountains feel you get near Lake Placid, but I have been told it is almost impossible to get a job there. I know medical is a big hit but that and teaching are the two things I just can not see myself doing but I can not see my self living anywhere but New York. I don't even know where to start looking

I would be okay with about a 45 minute commute to work, so would it be possible to find a nice town a bit of a ways away from a city like Rochester, Syracuse, Saratoga, Albany where I could find a good job? What kinds of jobs are out there? I want to still like in like a rolling hills/ mountain area because I love to hike and ski. Any ideas for a degree that will get me a job? Any one know any small towns close to the cities?

Thanks for any suggestions, experiences and observations!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2016, 02:52 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,173,625 times
The nearest urban area of any size to Jay, NY is Plattsburgh. The Indeed.com website lists 3000 job openings in Plattsburgh. Click the link below to see the types of jobs and the pay scales in Plattsburgh.

Jobs, Employment in Plattsburgh, NY | Indeed.com

Do the same for Albany, Schenectady, Syracuse, etc.

Most of the jobs in Plattsburgh are low paid service jobs not requiring a college degree.

A lot of students with 4 year college degrees are still looking for work. My suggestion is to enroll in one of the 2 year associate degree programs or certificate programs at a community college. Vocational and technical skills are more marketable than a liberal arts degree. See list of programs offered by Erie Community College in Buffalo.

https://www.ecc.edu/degrees/

Old 01-19-2016, 03:05 PM

2 posts, read 3,540 times
Thank you so much, I will look into the links you sent.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:52 PM

5,685 posts, read 4,084,462 times
Allie, you sound perfect for somewhere in the Finger Lakes region. Live in a hilly wine region, but less than an hour to Rochester or Syracuse.

Old 08-30-2017, 02:05 PM

93,212 posts, read 123,819,554 times
This thread may fit for someone looking for something similar to the criteria in the OP: //www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-20-years.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York