Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2006, 11:51 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,334,537 times

Advertisements

I know this may seem like a no brainer for people who live there, but are the Adirondacks or Catskills particularly expensive?

Do they consist more of isolated, sort of rural towns or are they more bedroom communities and playgrounds for the very wealthy?

It doesn't look like finding a job in the mountains of NY state would be very easy, but I would like to look into it and wondered if any places were affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2006, 11:57 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,093,885 times
Jobs are hard to come by unless you commute to Kingston or Saugerties. possibly Albany. (I'm talking the Catskills here not Adirondacks)

Pricey? Not particularly. Unless you are from out of state and then the prices will probably raise an eyebrow! Taxes are on the high side all throughout NY.

Cheap places are Cairo, Accord, Saugerties, Conesville area. Towns north of Saugerties are generally pretty reasonable.

Expensive places are near Hunter mountain and some parts of Coopertown, and I am sure there are a few more scattered expensive places up there as you get towards Albany too, I just haven't come across them yet.

Old 09-23-2006, 09:41 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
The job market is decent in Albany and Syracause, both of which are in a reasonable distance from the Adirondacks. Albany is probably an hour away, and Syracuse an hour and a half. The Adirondacks are much nicer than the Catskills IMO, more affordable too.

Old 09-23-2006, 10:56 AM

538 posts, read 2,457,840 times
Keep in mind that both parks are protected as "Forever Wild" by the NY State constitution. That means building a house, a road, easement, or any general removal of large trees are subject to many laws. Existing homes, especially in the Adirondacks, are few and far between, and mostly in isolated villages. They tend to be run down, as there isn't much money or jobs there.

The Catskills are nice, but the Adirondacks are breathtaking!

Old 09-26-2006, 12:08 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,477,418 times
In-laws live in upstate in Gloversville. Have lived there 80+years. The area is depressed with Walmart the height of shopping. While visiting we checked out Saratoga Springs and it was nice with some more national chains.

However, taxes on real estate are a killer in some of these communities that do not have any other tax base. They pay more on a tiny tiny house than I pay for my 3X bigger downtown home in Indy. And the taxes go up every year. They get about 8 feet of snow a year, have a lot of city rules.

It is so very pretty in the summer that I always fall in love, but one winter trip kills it. They have also had over 90degree days these last two years and AC is rare.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:39 AM

93,266 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Since people still view this, as for the Adirondacks, they generally aren't expensive outside of Lake Placid and perhaps Lake George.

I'd say for jobs in the Adirondacks, the best bet is either areas close to Plattsburgh, Glens Falls, Utica/Rome or perhaps near the St. Lawrence County college towns(Potsdam and Canton). You may find something in Saranac Lake, Ticonderoga, Tupper Lake, Lake Placid, etc., but it likely would be something at a tourist spot, hospital, International Paper(Ticonderoga), Paul Smith's(a college near Saranac Lake) or a school district.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:09 PM

439 posts, read 357,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I know this may seem like a no brainer for people who live there, but are the Adirondacks or Catskills particularly expensive?

Do they consist more of isolated, sort of rural towns or are they more bedroom communities and playgrounds for the very wealthy?

It doesn't look like finding a job in the mountains of NY state would be very easy, but I would like to look into it and wondered if any places were affordable.
Well, it depends on where you want to live? In the Adirondacks, there are pockets of affluence centered around resort-towns (i.e. Lake Placid, Saranac Lake). In these areas, the housing prices are higher (on average) than in other areas. I'm not sure what types of industry they have up there for full-timers, but I imagine it's hospitality/outdoor-sports related. If that's what you're into, then the Adirondacks could be a good fit.

As for the Catskills, yes it's more expensive to live in this area. This has more to do with proximity to a major center of agglomeration (high bid rents), than some intrinsic value. Honestly, the closer to the 'City, the higher the housing costs.IMO, the mountains/forests of the Adirondacks are prettier than those in the Catskills. That said, this area has some of the best water (non-seaside) views in the country. There are places in the Catskills where you have panoramic views of mountains, the Hudson, lakes, and the countryside. In addition, the proximity to NYC means (if you're willing to commute) you can afford to live well.

That said, even the cheap areas (in the River Cities) are experiencing unsettling levels of gentrification. The housing prices are sky-rocketing and, if you have a nice property, prepare to be solicited. Woodstock/Byrdcliffe/Bearsville, Rhinebeck (Dutchess County), New Paltz, Marbletown/Stone Ridge/The Vly, Hudson...The ski-resort towns (Hunter, Windham)...all ridiculously expensive (unless you're willing to live in a virtual lean-to). Remember, these are the people who can afford a full-time place in NYC and a part-time place elsewhere...There's even a few progeny of the robberbarron elite around. They artifically "jack-up" the cost of living too. So, to answer your question, I prefer the Catskills/Hudson Valley (quality of life, proximity to NYC, beauty/culture/history) but I wish it were a bit more affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York