Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 02:16 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Wow...Name calling too. Difference was that the OP stated that they already knew about the weather versus addressing COL, which was mentioned by the OP(poster). It wasn’t even personal, as other posters mentioned it and let it go when I stated that the OP was already familiar with it. That’s all.

I gave it to you about the added information and was done with it.

This means more to you than I thought, especially since you aren’t moving to NY or have been looking elsewhere from what you’ve told me. Nah, you can have this thread. Geez... #highlightofpostersdayiguess
Lol. What gives you that idea? The wheels are already in motion. We definitely won't be neighbors but I'll be a full time resident quite soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 02:21 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Lol. What gives you that idea? The wheels are already in motion. We definitely won't be neighbors but I'll be a full time resident quite soon.
Idk, the DM’s in the past. If you are moving to NY, that’s fine too.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:29 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,824,550 times
Again, that's why I was taken aback when you got nasty with me. Since we Dm'ed in the past and I though we put that behind us. I was being civil and not insulting or hijacking anything. I'm not sure why you were being so confrontational when I was just mentioning the weather.

Everything doesn't have to be great for me to move to the state. The weather sucks and I'm going to accept that and if anyone wants to know, I going to say it sucks even if I live there.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
Again, that's why I was taken aback when you got nasty with me. Since we Dm'ed in the past and I though we put that behind us. I was being civil and not insulting or hijacking anything. I'm not sure why you were being so confrontational when I was just mentioning the weather.

Everything doesn't have to be great for me to move to the state. The weather sucks and I'm going to accept that and if anyone wants to know, I going to say it sucks even if I live there.
Nope, no nastiness at all...Moving on.

Old 10-10-2017, 03:45 PM

821 posts, read 761,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here is an article that mentions the Buffalo and Albany areas in regards to the topic: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...dle-class.html
I wonder what caused Albany and Buffalo and actually Syracuse as well to have an increase in the 'upper class' while Rochester did not.

I also love how my Rochester friends bash Buffalo as some hick, uneducated, and impovrished area. Well...
20.9% of households around Buffalo make $160,340 or more
18.0% of households around Rochester make $159,074 or greater
( using the incomes guidelines in this study- see OP for source)

I hate to make this a Buffalo vs. Rochester thing but literally anytime Rochester has an advantage they love to rub it in too.

Last edited by cjoseph; 10-10-2017 at 04:56 PM..

Old 10-10-2017, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
I wonder what caused Albany and Buffalo and actually Syracuse as well to have an increase in the 'upper class' while Rochester did not.
Good question, given that Rochester has a higher educational attainment than Buffalo and Syracuse as a metro.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:57 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, that original data was not comparing apples to apples since Buffalo had a lower threshold of what was considered "upper class". And also this data is old and stops at 2014.

According to The American Fact Finder which is data put out by the United States Census bureau 2014 was also Rochester's low.

2014 household income of $100,000 and above:
Buffalo: 20.3
Rochester: 20.2

2016:
Buffalo: 23.0
Rochester: 23.2

Doesn't look to me like Rochester any longer has a decline in its upper class or that Buffalo is higher any longer.

Also Median Household Income:
2014:
Buffalo: 50,074
Rochester: 51,086

2016:
Buffalo: 53,487
Rochester: 55,134

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...prodType=table

So according to the United States Census Bureau, Rochester is bother high in upper income and median income. And Rochester has grown in both upper and median since 2014 and outpaced Buffalo during that time.

All of this while the state poured 1 billion dollars into Buffalo leading and up during those years. Let's see what Rochester can do with half of that (500 million) which the state has now promised to Rochester to help jump start back up our economy.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:13 PM

821 posts, read 761,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db2797 View Post
Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, that original data was not comparing apples to apples since Buffalo had a lower threshold of what was considered "upper class". And also this data is old and stops at 2014.

According to The American Fact Finder which is data put out by the United States Census bureau 2014 was also Rochester's low.

2014 household income of $100,000 and above:
Buffalo: 20.3
Rochester: 20.2

2016:
Buffalo: 23.0
Rochester: 23.2

Doesn't look to me like Rochester any longer has a decline in its upper class or that Buffalo is higher any longer.

Also Median Household Income:
2014:
Buffalo: 50,074
Rochester: 51,086

2016:
Buffalo: 53,487
Rochester: 55,134

https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/...prodType=table

So according to the United States Census Bureau, Rochester is bother high in upper income and median income. And Rochester has grown in both upper and median since 2014 and outpaced Buffalo during that time.

All of this while the state poured 1 billion dollars into Buffalo leading and up during those years. Let's see what Rochester can do with half of that (500 million) which the state has now promised to Rochester to help jump start back up our economy.
Typical can't let Buffalo win one. Rochester has a slightly higher cost of living that is why the upper income threshold is higher.

Old 10-10-2017, 06:47 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,328,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjoseph View Post
Typical can't let Buffalo win one. Rochester has a slightly higher cost of living that is why the upper income threshold is higher.
Ok you're right. Next time I'll just let the non-factual or outdated statistics slide and allow you to "win one".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York