Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 01:04 PM

93,898 posts, read 124,640,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
That was then. Now it is different. Back then we did not extend welfare to immigrants. Now we do. Once they step foot in our country they are eligible for many programs, and most of them do.

But we are talking about the future generation. Given the fact that our welfare system produces inter-generational dependency, what makes you think that muslims will be different from all other welfare-recipients?

So, due to welfare, given the track record, no, their children may not be better off than their parents, so things may not improve.

This also does not even account for present costs, and other hidden costs, such as unemployment, and its social costs, wage suppression (due to a flooded labor market), etc.

But I am not going to mince words here -- refuge resettlement is about importing Democratic voters at all costs. And I mean ALL costs.
This is an assumption though. If you read the article I posted, it just depends. For instance, of the 10 valedictorians and salutatorians in the Syracuse City HS's, I believe that 5 or 6 were from refugee families and are going to schools like RPI, Syracuse and SUNY-Oneonta.

Also, non for profit and usually religious organizations have to sponsor the refugees in order to come to an area. So, is it a religious move on the part of those organizations? I've actually heard that from a person as well in regards to the Catholic Church.

As I've said before, I think the volume of entry has to be looked at when you have current residents that are struggling in concentrated communities/neighborhoods. So, priorities need to be looked at in regards to the topic and in relation to current residents that are struggling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 04:28 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,221,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Oh, I had no idea there was no humanitarian aspect to it at all. How silly!
So, is that your contribution to the thread now -- ridicule and sarcasm against a fellow member?

But, I will address your snarky comment on topic.

If you naively believe and regurgitate the lies that Democrats are taking refugees from the bottom of their heart, then why are we taking 0.38% of them who are Syrian Christian, who are under a horrific genocide, while Christian in Syria make 10% of population?

https://refugeeresettlementwatch.wor...uslims-for-us/

So why are Democrats a lot less humanitarian with Christian Syrians than Muslims? Can you explain that?

Hint -- look at the voting patterns of different immigrant groups.

So, this is a conspiracy now, right? (that's the next default answer of liberals)

Old 10-13-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
This is an assumption though.
It's really not. If you look at Britain for example, which is about 20 years ahead of us for taking in Muslim refugees -- children of these Muslims are not better off. One would make the argument that children of refugees are displaying stronger patterns of radicalization than their parents.

Secondly -- our ever-expanding welfare system produces multigenerational dependency, and Muslims are not exempt.

So, a welfare system coupled with non-assimilation -- adding 2 + 2 is not hard to make 4.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:02 PM

Quote:
It's really not. If you look at Britain for example, which is about 20 years ahead of us for taking in Muslim refugees -- children of these Muslims are not better off. One would make the argument that children of refugees are displaying stronger patterns of radicalization than their parents.

Secondly -- our ever-expanding welfare system produces multigenerational dependency, and Muslims are not exempt.

So, a welfare system coupled with non-assimilation -- adding 2 + 2 is not hard to make 4.
This isn't Britain and by what measures are they not better off?

I even think the non assimilation aspect also depends on the person as well, as some younger refugees also have similar interests as any other American youngster.

As mentioned before, it just doesn't make sense to increase intake particularly to areas that need to address the needs of those that are already here and struggling. This where I think Watertown gets involved, as other Upstate cities have gotten their share and other cities that haven't had any influx of refugees are now on the radar.

Old 10-13-2016, 07:52 PM

37,291 posts, read 39,614,796 times
Quote:
So, is that your contribution to the thread now -- ridicule and sarcasm against a fellow member?

But, I will address your snarky comment on topic.

If you naively believe and regurgitate the lies that Democrats are taking refugees from the bottom of their heart, then why are we taking 0.38% of them who are Syrian Christian, who are under a horrific genocide, while Christian in Syria make 10% of population?

https://refugeeresettlementwatch.wor...uslims-for-us/

So why are Democrats a lot less humanitarian with Christian Syrians than Muslims? Can you explain that?

Hint -- look at the voting patterns of different immigrant groups.

So, this is a conspiracy now, right? (that's the next default answer of liberals)
Not even a "liberal" when it comes to immigrating policy or a good mass of policies. Do believe in actual studies and humanitarian causes though and I do know that website ain't generally reliable.

As for this topic and Watertown specifically, it doesn't seem to be so sensible to put refugees in places that small amd isolated. Syracuse and Utica certainly made a lot more sense because there's a city core that has space to take them, much larger populations so that municipal services aren't as proportionally stretched, etc. and even those might be a bit of a stretch as previously successful refugee communities were in larger cities such as the Twin Cities and St. Louis.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
This isn't Britain...
It sounds like you think that although we may follow the same policies as GB, we will have a different result. Correct me if I am putting wrong words in your mouth....

Quote:
..by what measures are they not better off?
As I said radicalization of children of refugees / muslim immigrants in GB -- Children at risk of radicalisation to double - Telegraph

Old 10-14-2016, 05:11 AM

Quote:
It sounds like you think that although we may follow the same policies as GB, we will have a different result. Correct me if I am putting wrong words in your mouth....

As I said radicalization of children of refugees / muslim immigrants in GB -- Children at risk of radicalisation to double - Telegraph
I think it is more a matter of who the refugees are that have and are generally slated to come to Upstate NY. It is actually a generally diverse group versus thinking strictly in terms of Syria or the Middle East. Graphic: Where New York state's refugees come from | Innovation Trail

With myself, it is more of thing of volume of refugees in relation to the residents that are in struggling pockets that have already been needing to being addressed first. It isn't like decades ago where you could feed immigrants or migrants from other parts of the country into manufacturing jobs.

Old 10-14-2016, 05:40 AM

Quote:
I think it is more a matter of who the refugees are that have and are generally slated to come to Upstate NY. It is actually a generally diverse group versus thinking strictly in terms of Syria or the Middle East. Graphic: Where New York state's refugees come from | Innovation Trail

With myself, it is more of thing of volume of refugees in relation to the residents that are in struggling pockets that have already been needing to being addressed first. It isn't like decades ago where you could feed immigrants or migrants from other parts of the country into manufacturing jobs.
Not sure if you read links that I provided. Radicalization of new generation of muslims, born and raised here, who's parents settled in as refugees -- those causes have nothing to do with the fact that previous generation refugees come from different countries.

And so far I haven't really touched on the underlining economics.

Bottom line -- if you use previous patterns of immigrant integration, a.k.a melting pot, to the new refugees from Muslim countries, you are mistaken.

The problem is that we are no longer following the "melting pot" policies. Latest terrorist attacks in US were carried out by US-raised 2nd generation muslims, a lot more radical than their refugee parents.

So, unless we are blinded by ideological myopia, reality is the opposite of the cotton-candy rosy "melting pot" BS.

Old 10-14-2016, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Not sure if you read links that I provided. Radicalization of new generation of muslims, born and raised here, who's parents settled in as refugees -- those causes have nothing to do with the fact that previous generation refugees come from different countries.

And so far I haven't really touched on the underlining economics.

Bottom line -- if you use previous patterns of immigrant integration, a.k.a melting pot, to the new refugees from Muslim countries, you are mistaken.

The problem is that we are no longer following the "melting pot" policies. Latest terrorist attacks in US were carried out by US-raised 2nd generation muslims, a lot more radical than their refugee parents.

So, unless we are blinded by ideological myopia, reality is the opposite of the cotton-candy rosy "melting pot" BS.
Yes, I have read the links.

Actually, the reality is that we never really were a melting pot, but a pluralistic society. You don't even have to look at refugees today, to see examples of that, as Black Americans can be an example of this.

Also, this country has had homegrown terrorists that didn't descend from refugees. Lockport's(yes, the small Upstate city north of Buffalo) own Timothy McVeigh comes to mind immediately.

Again, I think the bigger issue generally speaking is more of an opportunity aspect, as that is likely to impact more people and goes back to addressing those here that are already struggling.

Old 10-14-2016, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Yes, I have read the links.

Actually, the reality is that we never really were a melting pot, but a pluralistic society. You don't even have to look at refugees today, to see examples of that, as Black Americans can be an example of this.

Also, this country has had homegrown terrorists that didn't descend from refugees. Lockport's(yes, the small Upstate city north of Buffalo) own Timothy McVeigh comes to mind immediately.
OK bombing was 20 years ago, and as horrific as it was, now we are talking for very frequent (almost monthly) terrorist attacks that muslim terrorists are committing. We are talking about a continuous attack. And radicalization of muslim youth really has no parallel to any other group in our history. Not even close.

So, settlement of muslim refugees upstate is not simply a matter of numbers. It is more a no-no security-wise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York