Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 11:51 AM

21 posts, read 16,670 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We are a family five - 3 kids ages, 14, 7 and 2. We are looking to relocate from Houston to the East Coast for my husband's job. We just haven't made a decision on the exact location that would best fit our family. Being that my husband works from home for his company, we can pick where we want to live but it just has to be on the East Coast for his region. We obviously do not want to live in New York city due to cost of living but I was looking over near New Windsor, Mount Vernon, White Plains and the Highland Mills areas. We really want something that is family friendly, good schools, diversity and overall just a good area to raise our children. Being that we are coming from a big city, I'd really prefer a smaller city/town. I also love that NYC is not far from the areas I listed. My oldest is very into theater/acting and I think this would be great for her to get more exposure. I think my biggest fears are that we are coming from somewhere where we don't get snow and freezing temperatures. I think that would be one of our biggest adjustments. Of course I know we'll have other adjustments, coming from Texas I am sure it will be a culture shock. We lived in Southern California for 3 years recently and I have to say we loved it there. Cali and NY are polar opposites but I am hoping that we'll fit in here as well.

I am sure I am forgetting about more stuff to ask, I'm just overwhelmed with the idea of relocating again.
If this helps, we plan to rent before we buy. So we are looking in the $2500 - $4000 range (per month).

Oh also, we are Mexican American and love Mexican food and it's the best in Texas. I know we'll be giving that up when we move to the East Coast. lol

Any advice or opinions are greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 12:06 PM

93,710 posts, read 124,432,072 times
Just a personal opinion, but I'd consider looking into the Nyack area(minus West Nyack) due to being a culturally diverse area with solid schools and a range of neighborhoods. Visit Nyack, New York | One Visit Will Capture Your Heart.

Home Page - Nyack Public Schools

If you don't mind looking further north, school districts like Spackenkill and Cornwall are good districts that have a diverse student population. Cornwall is outside of Newburgh and Spackenkill is outside of Poughkeepsie. I believe that both have train access into NYC. I don't think Nyack does though.

Something else to keep in mind is that previous to it becoming a part of the NYC metro area, the former Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro area(Orange and Dutchess counties), it was one of the most integrated top 100 metro areas in the country, it had one of the smallest Per Capita Income gaps between Whites and People of Color(Blacks, Hispanics and Asians) in the country, every racial/ethnic group in that area had a median household income around/above the national figure(08-12 census info) and pretty much all of the school districts have at least a visible degree of cultural diversity in pretty much all of the school districts in both counties. Parts of Newburgh, Poughkeepsie and to a lesser degree Middletown and Beacon can be rough, but the rest of the area is generally fine. So, that may be a general area to look into.

You may be interested in this: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._New_York.html (Highland Falls is near West Point and is in Orange County)

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-20-2016 at 12:33 PM..

Old 10-20-2016, 12:59 PM

ckhhankgod: Thank you so much. Your information is very helpful. I will research the areas you suggested.

Old 10-20-2016, 06:11 PM

No problem and this may be a good source for you to use: Dutchess County, NY - USA.comâ„¢

Orange County, NY - USA.comâ„¢

Nyack Union Free School District - USA.comâ„¢

Cornwall Central School District - USA.comâ„¢

Spackenkill Union Free School District - USA.comâ„¢

This is another source that could help: https://data.nysed.gov

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-20-2016 at 06:50 PM..

Old 10-21-2016, 12:26 PM

Do you have any recommendations for NJ? The areas I looked up seem so outrageous for homes. Are there any nice areas with good schools that aren't like $15K a month to rent?

Old 10-21-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatRivTX View Post
Do you have any recommendations for NJ? The areas I looked up seem so outrageous for homes. Are there any nice areas with good schools that aren't like $15K a month to rent?
Whoa! Where in those areas listed have places that are 15k a month for rent?

Old 10-21-2016, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Whoa! Where in those areas listed have places that are 15k a month for rent?

I looked in Mont Clair and Franklin Lakes.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I thought that you were referring to the previously mentioned areas in NY. Both of those places are in NJ and Montclair is one word, if it is the place I think you are referring to.

What are you looking for in terms of a rental?

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-21-2016 at 02:40 PM..

Old 10-22-2016, 10:19 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,899,453 times
Quote:
Oh also, we are Mexican American and love Mexican food and it's the best in Texas. I know we'll be giving that up when we move to the East Coast. lol
It depends on what type of Mexican food. True Mexican food - I've only found one restaurant outside of Texas that offers it. Mexican food that has been Americanized with globs of Velvetta and refried beans, otherwise known as TexMex - it's pretty much everywhere, even in Texas.

Old 10-23-2016, 08:25 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,831,462 times
Quote:
Montclair and Franklin Lakes are probably the 2 most expensive towns in NJ. There are places that are nice outside those towns, and certainly you can find rentals below $15k a month (taxes of $15k per year are not unheard of though). However, in those towns, expect $2500-$3k a month to be the norm for a 2 bed/1 bath.

Frankly, I think most of NJ near the NYC metro is a cesspool. If you do choose there, look into Morristown. I'd continue to look in Westchester Cty, perhaps White Plains, or Nyack in Rockland could be a good fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York