Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 06:55 PM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times

Advertisements

Some higher income neighborhoods in the area: Census Block Group 101000-1 in Clinton County, New York
Census Block Group 101000-2 in Clinton County, New York (adjacent to each other)

Census Block Group 100800-4 in Clinton County, New York

Census Block Group 102100-1 in Clinton County, New York
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2018, 03:23 PM

Ground transport subcontractor expands in Plattsburgh - The Development Corporation

Old 04-20-2018, 04:46 PM

Robust transportation equipment cluster is growing in New York State - The Development Corporation

Full article which mentions companies in the area: https://esd.ny.gov/industries/transportation-equipment

One of the companies: https://esd.ny.gov/esd-media-center/...re-it-needs-go

Old 04-25-2018, 08:23 AM

From Strictly Business, the area business publication: Strictly Business - April 2018

Old 05-03-2018, 07:33 AM

Nova Bus wins new customer, contract | Local News | pressrepublican.com

Plattsburgh-based Nova Bus wins new contract

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 05-03-2018 at 08:03 AM..

Old 05-11-2018, 01:32 AM

Another one: Census Block Group 101700-5 in Clinton County, New York

Old 05-22-2018, 11:28 AM

518 posts, read 398,117 times
I've been using several times Plattsburgh's airport, coming from Montréal.
I guess for most New York Staters, Plattsburgh is just an irrelevant town in a corner of nowhere's land but for me, the city will also be special because it was the first US-American city I've ever been to.

Plattsburgh is okay and nice. I hope Plattsburg is represenative of America, because I base my entire image of rural America on Plattsburgh. I think Vermont has more a European feeling to it.

It's really unusual that a small city like Plattsburgh has an airport, while nearby Burlington also has an airport. Together they have both below 70,000 inhabitants, but nevertheless two airports.... I think only a few areas in the world have this luxury. I think it would be a wiser choice to fusion both airports and have one larger airport, although I know that this isn't going to happen.
Also Plattsburg does not seem to be the wisest city, they built the airport south of PA...they should have built it north of the city. It does make a difference if you are 85 or 95km away from ain airport in Montréal, especially since Dorval Airport is only 15 km away from the city centre Ville Marie.
It seems that these two cities prefer to be connected with the rest of America, instead with each other, and use their federal power to achieve that. It's hard to visit both PA and BU on a single day when there is no bridge between these cities (but two airports...).

Anyway, PA airport is cheaper than Dorval airport and an alternative.
I have some improvement suggestions:
- there should be some interesting flights to francophone and European destinations, right now PA airport is very American-centric and does not really cater to the interests of Montréalais
- I appreciate the French info that is there, but it is far from complete and there should be more full and complete French services (not every Montréalais speaks English, and even if, not offering French is shying them away)

Old 05-22-2018, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecOpec View Post
I've been using several times Plattsburgh's airport, coming from Montréal.
I guess for most New York Staters, Plattsburgh is just an irrelevant town in a corner of nowhere's land but for me, the city will also be special because it was the first US-American city I've ever been to.

Plattsburgh is okay and nice. I hope Plattsburg is represenative of America, because I base my entire image of rural America on Plattsburgh. I think Vermont has more a European feeling to it.

It's really unusual that a small city like Plattsburgh has an airport, while nearby Burlington also has an airport. Together they have both below 70,000 inhabitants, but nevertheless two airports.... I think only a few areas in the world have this luxury. I think it would be a wiser choice to fusion both airports and have one larger airport, although I know that this isn't going to happen.
Also Plattsburg does not seem to be the wisest city, they built the airport south of PA...they should have built it north of the city. It does make a difference if you are 85 or 95km away from ain airport in Montréal, especially since Dorval Airport is only 15 km away from the city centre Ville Marie.
It seems that these two cities prefer to be connected with the rest of America, instead with each other, and use their federal power to achieve that. It's hard to visit both PA and BU on a single day when there is no bridge between these cities (but two airports...).

Anyway, PA airport is cheaper than Dorval airport and an alternative.
I have some improvement suggestions:
- there should be some interesting flights to francophone and European destinations, right now PA airport is very American-centric and does not really cater to the interests of Montréalais
- I appreciate the French info that is there, but it is far from complete and there should be more full and complete French services (not every Montréalais speaks English, and even if, not offering French is shying them away)
Plattsburgh International Airport’s location is due to the former Plattsburgh Air Force Base being located there and that is where the airport located when BRAC shut the regular air base down in 1995 or so.

Clinton County NY has about 82,000 people and the Burlington metro area has about 215,000 people.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:59 PM

More information from the North Country Chamber of Commerce: http://www.northcountrychamber.com/d...Chamber(1).pdf

Old 05-23-2018, 06:25 PM

16 posts, read 16,541 times
Hey so, just applied for a job in the area (Texan born and bred, but looking for change), have some questions and comments.

I find the lack of a bridge between Plattsburgh and Grand Isle VT to be really confusing? Is there a reason behind that?

Also, what's the rental market deal in Plattsburgh? I'm trying to price places to get budgeting ideas, and there are zero listings on the major apartment/rental sites. Is there like some New York State thing that I'm just unaware of?

The job I'm applying for would take me throughout the Adirondacks State Park, are there small towns, cultural stuff spread throughout that area much? I'm not one for mountain climbing or skiing, but a village bookstore, local cafe on main street, or semi-annual beet festival (or whatever) is in my wheelhouse.

P.S.- So like, you guys are super focused on airports? I find that very strange, though I can understand the Canadians driving down for cheaper rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York