Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2019, 10:44 AM

1,878 posts, read 2,025,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
lol @ this thread, Plattsbugh is a hell hole. What a sad, depressing place. If you're somehow smoking the funny stuff / drinking the kool aid and think Plattsburgh is any kind of place to live, just go next door over the lake to Burlington, VT and you will be blown away at how much nicer it is.
And how much MUCH more expensive the housing is, especially relative to the salaries. I love BTown, but it's really not affordable now.

I don't remember Plattsburgh being a hellhole. Not all that exciting, but the gorgeous surrounding countryside would make up for it, I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 12:33 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,708,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averysgore View Post
And how much MUCH more expensive the housing is, especially relative to the salaries. I love BTown, but it's really not affordable now.

I don't remember Plattsburgh being a hellhole. Not all that exciting, but the gorgeous surrounding countryside would make up for it, I think.
well, you do understand that real estate cost is related to people's desire to live somewhere

Old 05-07-2019, 02:39 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
From the latest edition of Strictly Business: Strictly Business - April 2019

More: Strictly Business | New York's Source for Business Information

Old 05-07-2019, 05:18 PM

18 posts, read 29,341 times
Plattsburgh is pretty quiet (save for the college) and kind of boring, but I wouldn't call it a hell hole. You're thinking of Dannemora, Keeseville, Altona, Malone...

Old 05-13-2019, 02:46 PM

Plattsburgh Airport ready for international flights: https://www.pressrepublican.com/news...174ab0f8a.html

Old 05-21-2019, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,241 times
This has been an interesting thread to read. It's nice to see someone take a look at the good qualities the Plattsburgh area has. I think there are a lot of people in this area that are frustrated, because there is a lot of potential but many of the leaders in this area are sluggish to meet that potential. Still, small victories are still victories. It should also be noted that the CITY and TOWN of Plattsburgh are 2 very different things. The TOWN has made tremendous leaps forward in terms of economic development for the area. They are the ones responsible for attracting companies like Prevost/Novabus, Norsk, SeaCom. They are also responsible for a lot of the retail/dining options we see moving into the area like Kohls, Chic-fil-a, and Hobby Lobby. The problem with the CITY is that there is not enough commercial/corporate entities in the small geographic area that makes up the "city". That puts most of the tax burden on the residents, since the more considerable establishments downtown are religious/government - which are tax exempt. The jobs are also limited to government or other public service jobs and mom and pop shops and restaurants. There needs to be an expansion of more private sector corporate jobs in the area that are located downtown or at least within the 'city' limits. Otherwise the taxes and lack of jobs will just keep causing people to move out of the city and into the town. I think another issue is the college, which is usually a positive for most towns/cities. The college is average at best and often attracts students that don't seem to give a crap about their education and are more interested in selling drugs or partying. This translates into the 'slums' you see downtown because landlords rent out and cater to this students who end up destroying the places and the landlords can't be bothered to repair them let alone maintain them. Plattsburgh has a long way to go, but I'm hopeful we will start to get some progressive motion and I'm glad the city is at least looking into new development for the first time in decades in the downtown area.

Old 05-21-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownUSAPLB View Post
This has been an interesting thread to read. It's nice to see someone take a look at the good qualities the Plattsburgh area has. I think there are a lot of people in this area that are frustrated, because there is a lot of potential but many of the leaders in this area are sluggish to meet that potential. Still, small victories are still victories. It should also be noted that the CITY and TOWN of Plattsburgh are 2 very different things. The TOWN has made tremendous leaps forward in terms of economic development for the area. They are the ones responsible for attracting companies like Prevost/Novabus, Norsk, SeaCom. They are also responsible for a lot of the retail/dining options we see moving into the area like Kohls, Chic-fil-a, and Hobby Lobby. The problem with the CITY is that there is not enough commercial/corporate entities in the small geographic area that makes up the "city". That puts most of the tax burden on the residents, since the more considerable establishments downtown are religious/government - which are tax exempt. The jobs are also limited to government or other public service jobs and mom and pop shops and restaurants. There needs to be an expansion of more private sector corporate jobs in the area that are located downtown or at least within the 'city' limits. Otherwise the taxes and lack of jobs will just keep causing people to move out of the city and into the town. I think another issue is the college, which is usually a positive for most towns/cities. The college is average at best and often attracts students that don't seem to give a crap about their education and are more interested in selling drugs or partying. This translates into the 'slums' you see downtown because landlords rent out and cater to this students who end up destroying the places and the landlords can't be bothered to repair them let alone maintain them. Plattsburgh has a long way to go, but I'm hopeful we will start to get some progressive motion and I'm glad the city is at least looking into new development for the first time in decades in the downtown area.
Thanks for your information and you make a good point about the tax exempt aspect with the city. I say that because that has been an issue in Syracuse with the expansion of educational institutions within the city. There has been some companies move into the city in recent years, but there could be more.

What I interesting with the city is that it is a NYPA city that has its own municipal electric company. That in turn means lower electric rates. Hence the Bitcoin company interest in regards to the city. Does the city and Chamber of Commerce work together to market this aspect of the city to try to attract companies to the city or even to help develop a start up scene with the presence of Plattsburgh State and Clinton CC? Perhaps that is the next move for the city or even area, as Rouses Point is also a NYPA community. With the latter community, that likely how they were able to have Wyeth/Pfizer until it’s closure a little while ago. So, that may be another community in the area to keep an eye on.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:31 AM

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but it talks about the Aerospace and Transportation industries in the area: http://flyplattsburgh.com/data/files...uly%202018.pdf

Old 06-07-2019, 01:55 PM

NC Business Expo supplies face-to-face networking: https://www.pressrepublican.com/news...f9f76ccbc.html

Aviation Day message on jobs: Sky's the limit: https://www.pressrepublican.com/news...ac4977042.html

Old 06-10-2019, 07:53 PM

9 posts, read 7,123 times
What's the downtown area like? Are there lots of shops? What about the hospitals, doctors in the area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York