Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 08:31 AM

69 posts, read 147,559 times

Advertisements

Not exactly sure of the the details of the commuter tax is but if it is a wage tax for working in NYC then I doubt that separation will relieve that tax. Philadelphia imposes a wage tax on me even though I live in NJ. That has always struck me as taxation without representation. I am sure that NYC will find a way to tax anyone who works in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2017, 09:59 AM

19,071 posts, read 14,002,182 times
The commuter tax hit people who didn't even work in the city. It's a leftist ploy to fund the money losing MTA on the backs of people who never even use it or even live near it.

Old 06-03-2017, 10:39 PM

10 posts, read 14,566 times
Upstaters hooked on the idea of dividing the state can vote all they want but that will not make it ever happen. Such a division requires the vote of the state legislature over multiple years and the approval of the US Congress and that will NEVER happen.

It won't happen for the same reason Congress will not grant statehood to Puerto Rico or DC--it would upset the fragile political balance in the US Senate. Neither party wants to give the other a new state that might "automatically" lean in one political direction or the other and send two more senators of the opposition party to DC.

For this reason, alone, this will never happen. To offer polls, surveys and votes is folly. To suggest a convention can solve this issue is dead wrong and is a waste of time and taxpayer money--our money.

Besides, how would a divided NYS even support itself? It would destroy SUNY, the state parks system, educational funding and the list goes on. And it would result in an Upstate region with perhaps four or five electoral votes and zero influence in DC. It would have a pitiful tax base an a dwindling population.

Such an idea only creates more problems and addresses none of the current issues.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:19 AM

937 posts, read 701,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomDan515 View Post
This will give Republicans an advantage in elections. Whether you consider that a good or bad thing is up to you.
Well, that kills that idea. No separation.

Old 06-04-2017, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The commuter tax hit people who didn't even work in the city. It's a leftist ploy to fund the money losing MTA on the backs of people who never even use it or even live near it.
And how does that differ than paying county taxes when one lives in a city that gets NO benefits from the county??? IOW's the county provides NO city related services like it does for the surburbs (eg. streets or police etc.).

Old 06-04-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post
And how does that differ than paying county taxes when one lives in a city that gets NO benefits from the county??? IOW's the county provides NO city related services like it does for the surburbs (eg. streets or police etc.).
Maybe it doesn't. I didn't address county taxes, so ask someone else. That said, who runs the jails that Buffalo perps go to until sentence to state time? Hmm...

Old 06-04-2017, 06:54 AM

961 posts, read 2,507,114 times
Hmmmm..let's see...the fine folks downstate say we're a drain on them.....really? Okay....the watersheds.....charge for the H2O they get from upstate.....the power transmission lines/gas feed lines. Charge a fee. The waste hauled up our way...again...a fee. Oh..all those inmates that go "upstate" from NYC...you guessed it...a fee. How about all those 2nd home owners....sorry...a higher tax rate for the new out-of-staters. etc..........

Old 06-04-2017, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
who runs the jails that Buffalo perps go to until sentence to state time? Hmm...
The County, but what does that have to do with anything? That isn't helping the city, especially since it's the Counties IDA's with their handouts that take possible decewnt paying jobs away from the city. A double negative, again backing up what I posted.

BTW, what makes you think the only ones in the "holding center" (it's not a "jail") are city residents??

Old 06-04-2017, 05:57 PM

Did I say the only ones in county jails were city residents? Please show me that post.

You seem angry and somehow are conflating my first post in this thread with the issue you are angry over. So let's go over it:

A) I know nothing about Buffalo, which is why I didn't discuss it.

B) the specific tax I addressed, the commuter tax that NYC used to push on counties outside of the city, is not at all similar to county taxes paid by residents of said counties.

C) I assume that Buffalo is located within the county you take issue with paying taxes to? Ie, you live in that county.

D) If Buffalo sends prisoners to a jail which is paid for by county taxes, then you are receiving a benefit from your taxes.

E) I don't care what you call your jails. If they hold prisoners who have been arrested for crimes, jail is an appropriate term to describe them.

Old 06-04-2017, 06:39 PM

19,271 posts, read 17,138,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
Hmmmm..let's see...the fine folks downstate say we're a drain on them.....really? Okay....the watersheds.....charge for the H2O they get from upstate.....the power transmission lines/gas feed lines. Charge a fee. The waste hauled up our way...again...a fee. Oh..all those inmates that go "upstate" from NYC...you guessed it...a fee. How about all those 2nd home owners....sorry...a higher tax rate for the new out-of-staters. etc..........
Well it seems that most of what mention is already being paid for including the water, electrical, and gas. Trash removal if it is going upstate (I think most heads south & to PA) is providing a nice income for all the communities that run landfills. Prisoner's; for many communities these are the only real paying jobs there are and if you decide not to keep the facilities open then what else will these towns do? Offer day trips to view their rural bucolic beauty. A new tax rate for those wanting a second home, your property taxes are exorbitant to begin with raising them more will just make people decide to go somewhere else.

But it's ok because you will be free of downstate and you can always raise the rates on the Thruway to make up the loss of income. ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York