Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 06:36 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,538,841 times

Advertisements

Love the Adirondacks and living 20 miles from the edge of the park I am lucky enough to have climbed many of the high peaks several times both from the Keene side and Newcomb, town of Adirondack side and the Wanakena/Oswegotchee area, mostly in the summer, but a few winter trips as well, but then there's the St. Regis canoe area, a trip I did at least once a year for 22 years.
Have also taken the motorboat on, 1st thru 4th, 6th, 7th, 8th, Long, Tupper, Folensby Clear, and the Saranacs. I rarely get up there any more, but just reading this thread I'm thinking I have to set aside a long week end this summer and do a trip of some sort up there.
Didn't mean to leave out Lake Placid area. There is so much to do there, the bobsled ride, year round ski jumping etc and a wonderful little town.
Summer in the Adirondacks is great (less the black flies and moosekitos), but fall is absolutely beautiful and winter there is post card stuff.
Love it all!

Old 04-08-2009, 07:12 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
There is also a new museum/ecological center in Saranac/Tupper Lake called the ADK museum/Wild Center that really has awesome exhibits about the history and settlement of this area.........Learned a lot about the glaciers and how the mountains/lakes/and variety of people came to settle this area.
While devising a list of things to do this summer (other than hiking since I already told the S.O. that we're going to do lots of hiking this summer, no ifs, ands or buts about it!) I came across the ADK museum. It looks interesting and I want to check it out! The S.O. will probably think it sounds incredibly dull so maybe I'll take my sister instead.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:14 PM

145 posts, read 499,140 times
It's not bad - great view! I hear the new museum in Tupper Lake is very cool.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:28 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,918 times
Cool Check it out.............

The new museum has gotten excellent reviews from all sorts of people near and far. Check it out online @ wildcenter.org AKA..........Natural History Museum of the Adirondacks.........Lots of great camping over that way as well.....even entire islands complete with loons at dawn and dusk......very, very cool. You even forget that it is 2009 for a few days. Nice!

Old 04-14-2009, 06:38 PM

60 posts, read 120,019 times
The adirondacks have really gone downhill over the last 10 years due to the influx of outsiders and the natives who want to boost tourism, further diminishing whats left of the adirondacks. It's a very costly place to live with no jobs, too many trashy people from elsewhere. At best it's a good place to spend a weekend... nothing more.

Old 04-14-2009, 09:26 PM

518 posts, read 2,013,918 times
Wink Respectfully disagree.....

Considering there are over 600 million acres of very, very undeveloped land, think there is a little bit of everything there...........Yes, there is tourism, but it tends to be nature related. Skiing, hiking, skating, camping, boating, whitewater, and yes, there are second homes as well. Actually there are fairly strict ordinances in place so it doesn't turn into Disney World. Lake George does not fall within the boundary of the ADK Park Agency BTW.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:59 AM

585 posts, read 2,223,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismo Clam View Post
The adirondacks have really gone downhill over the last 10 years due to the influx of outsiders and the natives who want to boost tourism, further diminishing whats left of the adirondacks. It's a very costly place to live with no jobs, too many trashy people from elsewhere. At best it's a good place to spend a weekend... nothing more.

You mentioned that people want to boost tourism, yet there are no jobs. Tourism provides jobs, the major industry in the Adirondacks, so I'm not sure what your point is. The significant damage done to the Adirondacks was from the mining and timber industry, generations ago....not today unless you count acid rain. There is developement up there but it's extremely limited.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:05 AM

24 posts, read 89,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pismo Clam View Post
It's no more expensive than any other place in NYS. I have a great job, built a home in the past year and plan on spending the rest of my life here. But, of course, I'm one of the "trashy people from somewhere else", so what do I know.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ref301 View Post
I'm one of the "trashy people from somewhere else", so what do I know.

You're quite correct.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblebelly View Post
You mentioned that people want to boost tourism, yet there are no jobs. Tourism provides jobs, the major industry in the Adirondacks, so I'm not sure what your point is. The significant damage done to the Adirondacks was from the mining and timber industry, generations ago....not today unless you count acid rain. There is developement up there but it's extremely limited.

Tourism provides low paying jobs.... in this case, low paying jobs in a high cost of living state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York