Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2017, 02:51 AM

19 posts, read 27,523 times

Advertisements

Hi, Gents

I had an interview with a corporation in Manhatten and they are asking me what salary do I want. I don't know what salary should I ask for.
I will be relocating from overseas to new york and I have no idea about the expenses, Taxes, Transportation, renting ....etc.
I need to reply with a reasonable salary to live comfortably and save some money.
I will be the only one working in the family, we are 2 adult and one child.

Your prompted response and help, are highly appreciated.

Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2017, 07:07 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I'd ask this in the NYC forum.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:24 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
There are plenty of sites that will allow you to compare compensation between locations such as Cost of Living Wizard | Salary.com . This and others should give you a starting point of what to ask for.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:57 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,212 times
Uhhh, you don't say what field you are in. You could live in the outer boroughs on $100,000. 150,000 would be better overall. Good luck, welcome to the jungle.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:53 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
I'm confused. Is there a salary range they are offering you? I've never heard of a company asking a potential employee how much they want. In that case, I want...

Old 09-25-2017, 11:34 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,354,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
I'm confused. Is there a salary range they are offering you? I've never heard of a company asking a potential employee how much they want. In that case, I want...

Yeah, wouldn't that be great! Especially if they give it to you. Unfortunately they probably wouldn't be in business for too long.

Old 09-25-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrashed View Post
Hi, Gents

I had an interview with a corporation in Manhatten and they are asking me what salary do I want. I don't know what salary should I ask for.
I will be relocating from overseas to new york and I have no idea about the expenses, Taxes, Transportation, renting ....etc.
I need to reply with a reasonable salary to live comfortably and save some money.
I will be the only one working in the family, we are 2 adult and one child.

Your prompted response and help, are highly appreciated.

Thanks to all.
I guess that would all depend on whether you're gonna' be applying for a janitorial position cleaning toilets or CEO (Chief Executive Officer).

Old 09-25-2017, 12:26 PM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Uhhh, you don't say what field you are in. You could live in the outer boroughs on $100,000. 150,000 would be better overall. Good luck, welcome to the jungle.

Actually this is a really good range as a suggestion. The OP is looking to be the sole earner, has 1 child so should be thinking 2 BR's as the OP also mentioned renting. Landlord will be looking at 40X's the rent as an annual income guide so a 2 BR in the outer boroughs in the $2500 range in a decent neighborhood is $100K salary. In Manhattan the rent will obviously be higher so the income needs are going to be higher.

If you want to spend less on an apartment, and you can in many areas and the OP's income needs would be lower.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:35 PM

7,841 posts, read 13,236,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
Yeah, wouldn't that be great! Especially if they give it to you. Unfortunately they probably wouldn't be in business for too long.
Several years ago I applied for a job at a competitive commercial bank and the application asked what my currently salary was (at that time) and it was greater than what the salary was that was posted for the job. I was declined (an interview wasn't even set up) not due to my experience but because of the salary They didn't even bother to ask me if I was willing to accept the lower salary.

Old 09-25-2017, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
Several years ago I applied for a job at a competitive commercial bank and the application asked what my currently salary was (at that time) and it was greater than what the salary was that was posted for the job. I was declined (an interview wasn't even set up) not due to my experience but because of the salary They didn't even bother to ask me if I was willing to accept the lower salary.
That's a shame.

What these employers have to understand is that many people have lost their jobs at higher salaries only to find that the job market may have changed. What you were making before may not be what that particular job is paying now. Or as in your case one bank may pay less than another. You also may have had seniority and earned more than the starting salary for that position.

I guess the way they see it is if you were earning a higher salary for the same position at your previous job you may not want to stay with them very long? But at least you were honest and told them. For that reason alone they should have hired you. Oh well, that's their loss. Hopefully you were able to find a better job anyway. The hell with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: