Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 09:05 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times

Advertisements

Here is an article discussing this topic, but shows that there are certain segments of the state and national population where there is work to be done: New York State Smoking Rate at All-Time Low | WAER
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2018, 09:10 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,545,770 times
$11 a pack will do that.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:15 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,023,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
$11 a pack will do that.
Those commercials they have caused a few people I know to quit.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:35 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
I guess they'll have to find something else to overtax.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I guess they'll have to find something else to overtax.
Next it'll be high sodium or some crap like that. Heaven forbid people have individual freedoms that aren't vegan-NYC-healthy.

We should be free to destroy ourselves, life sucks. Smoking kept me from smacking people until their eyes fell out on more than one occasion.

I vape now instead. Because here in NY, it's actually way cheaper to do. I fear the state attacking this next, honestly. This or alcohol, which will cause riots.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
Those commercials they have caused a few people I know to quit.
The preachy over-reaction ones? They just make me want to run people over with my car.

But hey, in all seriousness, if they are happier after quitting then honestly, good for them.

Old 02-25-2018, 10:31 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Quote:
Next it'll be high sodium or some crap like that. Heaven forbid people have individual freedoms that aren't vegan-NYC-healthy.

We should be free to destroy ourselves, life sucks. Smoking kept me from smacking people until their eyes fell out on more than one occasion.

I vape now instead. Because here in NY, it's actually way cheaper to do. I fear the state attacking this next, honestly. This or alcohol, which will cause riots.
Mega dittos on the vaping.

NY's taxes have really helped make vaping huge.

But NY is one of the states that borrowed against the Tobacco Settlement money so new taxes are on the way to pay off the loans.

Old 02-25-2018, 12:08 PM

1,541 posts, read 1,677,766 times
Quote:

Yeah soon people will be bringing in untaxed sugar and salt to New York lol. Just like how trucking in cigarettes from down south is a thing.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:25 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Yeah soon people will be bringing in untaxed sugar and salt to New York lol. Just like how trucking in cigarettes from down south is a thing.
Or getting them tax free from reservations/Native owned stores.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:15 PM

2,909 posts, read 4,271,611 times
Smoking may be the perfect example of how high taxes change behavior and result in less taxes collected.

Other states put say a 3 bucks a pack tax on and collects 3 bucks a pack. NY slaps on a mega tax, creates a black market and collects zero taxes. Good jobAlbany.

A different but very popular smokable product became legal recently in a state my sister lives in. She tried it and liked it and stated how nice it was to just walk in a store. I am also interested in this product but told her in NY we are so used to buying everything on the black market buying from a store will never occur to us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
View detailed profiles of: