Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 06:52 PM

2,584 posts, read 1,872,630 times

Advertisements

I have some questions about the Rockland area but wanted to first check which forum in which to post.

Any suggestions? The closest I could find was the Westchester subforum, and I didn't see a NJ Bergen County subforum either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2018, 07:12 PM

93,366 posts, read 124,009,048 times
The question about a Rockland and a Hudson Valley forum being created on here has been going on for years. To be honest, Rockland should be included with Westchester and there should be a Hudson Valley/Catskills forum on here.

With this said, I’d ask questions in the general portion of the NY forum.

Old 10-04-2018, 12:32 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,789,634 times
Because Rockland County doesn't exist. It shows up on maps, and there are exits from the Thruway, but if you get off at those you are enveloped in a fog of nothingness.

Old 10-04-2018, 01:25 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Rockland is surprisingly quiet on any NY sub-forum, considering how populated it is and its proximity to NYC.

I would daresay that most mentions of Rockland are made by Westchesterites suggesting the Nyacks as possibilities to out-of-state querents looking for advice on where to live.

Old 10-04-2018, 04:52 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Adding it to the Westchester board seems the most logical.

Old 10-10-2018, 10:26 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Rockland is surprisingly quiet on any NY sub-forum, considering how populated it is and its proximity to NYC.

I would daresay that most mentions of Rockland are made by Westchesterites suggesting the Nyacks as possibilities to out-of-state querents looking for advice on where to live.

Not to many people these days recommend Rockland County as a place to move to. Extremely high property taxes, budget shortfalls , one protected group that hides behind their religion in order to milk taxpayers for their dollars every year, corrupt politicians who cater to said group or just look other way for fear of losing re-election. Rockland Co ain’t the place to be these days

Old 10-11-2018, 10:11 AM

973 posts, read 1,412,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord72 View Post
Not to many people these days recommend Rockland County as a place to move to. Extremely high property taxes, budget shortfalls , one protected group that hides behind their religion in order to milk taxpayers for their dollars every year, corrupt politicians who cater to said group or just look other way for fear of losing re-election. Rockland Co ain’t the place to be these days
Rockland property taxes are lower than most of suburban NY. Its governmental budget "problems" are no different than any other suburban area - its schools and police are excellent and are not underfunded, for example. The protected religious group you speak of only populates one school district - so just don't recommend that area. No one paints Westchester with the broad brush of Mt. Vernon. No one paints Nassau with the broad brush of Hempstead. Why paint Rockland so broadly? And said group milks tax payers on items that are largely not funded at the local level. So no real effect on local taxes - if it were you would see higher property taxes than in Westchester, Bergen, Nassau, and Suffolk. But you don't. As for corrupt politicians, the County Executive is decidedly not in their pocket, and they are dying to get rid of him. County government uses a system where the County Executive has a lot of power.

Your post is really just a generalized complaint about suburban NY - and yes, many people avoid suburban NY for some of the reasons you state. There are other options - it is a big country.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:37 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
No one paints Westchester with the broad brush of Mt. Vernon.
But people do broadbrush Mt. Vernon.

Old 10-14-2018, 09:54 AM

180 posts, read 214,881 times
Because Westchester is evidently the only thing that exists between NYC and Albany

Old 10-14-2018, 11:04 PM

523 posts, read 1,680,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriot View Post
I have some questions about the Rockland area but wanted to first check which forum in which to post.

Any suggestions? The closest I could find was the Westchester subforum, and I didn't see a NJ Bergen County subforum either.
So, what are your questions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York