Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2018, 03:31 PM

12 posts, read 13,853 times

Advertisements

Hello all.
Please I need info on Rockland county. I am looking to buy a residential property in Monsey, Ramapo, NY. It is specifically in the Viola neighborhood. I have done extensive research on here about this town and so far, it seems to have a B- rating, specifically because it is a Jewish enclave and because of its school district (ERSD).
I am a young, black immigrant woman. 33 years old. Single and unmarried. When it comes to the time of sending children to schools, I have always considered private schools. However, that is not in the works right now ( will be in the future, God willing).
I am familiar with the NY area, as I have been living in NYC for about 5 years now.
I will be paying cash for said property (it's a sudden wealth situation). I am also looking to buy an office in New City.

How does Rockland county compare to Westchester county and Orange County?
I am well aware Orange county is a lot more rural. I spent a few days in Greenwood Lakes a couple years ago and absolutely loved it. Had the best sleep of my life there!!
Westchester, I guess is supposed to be everybody's desire but too expensive.

How comfortable do you guys think I'll be in a Jewish
enclave?? Is the "Hasidicness" of the neighborhood something that will be in my face, all-day everyday or will it be something I have to go out looking for to be involved in??
[Sidenote:- pls do not turn this into a racial issue. I am the least likely person to have problems with a person or people's Otherness. So long as I do not feel like my person is making Others uncomfortable, I am fine!]

The property I am considering seems to have been on the market since 2009. Or at least the records I pulled showed that there had been desire to sell since then.
As of right now, it seems to have been listed officially, for almost 3 years. Further it is asking for almost half the price it was asking almost 10 years ago.
Am I to take this as an indication of how bad the neighborhood is??
It's a beautiful property (I know beauty is in the eyes of the beholder tho) and seems way way underpriced for what it is asking.

Please chime in with your thoughts.

Last edited by Yac; 11-24-2020 at 01:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2018, 10:10 AM

Anyone???
Come on guys! Plssssssss

Old 10-26-2018, 10:44 AM

19,070 posts, read 14,002,182 times
You will definitely not be comfortable there. No one who isn't Hasidic would be. They make sure of that. There are numerous threads on this very topic here.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-26-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
You will definitely not be comfortable there. No one who isn't Hasidic would be. They make sure of that. There are numerous threads on this very topic here.
Can you please just post links that are very specific about this area (Monsey, NY). I have been looking on here for weeks and maybe months even. Can hardly find any, since Monsey is a hamlet within a larger town (Ramapo) in Rockland County.

Thanks very much for your response, btw.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:40 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venusqueen View Post
Can you please just post links that are very specific about this area (Monsey, NY). I have been looking on here for weeks and maybe months even. Can hardly find any, since Monsey is a hamlet within a larger town (Ramapo) in Rockland County.

Thanks very much for your response, btw.
Just look up information related to that topic about the East Ramapo School District for examples.

Old 10-26-2018, 12:50 PM

19,272 posts, read 17,138,742 times
Monsey like most areas of Ramapo has significant Hassidic/Ultra Orthodox Jew Communities within it with some such as New Square being entirely Hassidic. Although not a dangerous bunch I would not want them as neighbor's as they are not the greatest at maintaining a homes appearance. As an outsider to their culture you would probably find yourself discreetly ignored/snubbed, it not because of race but because you are not one of them.

Ramapo High School is better than Spring Valley but if the home was in the Ramapo School District not East Ramapo then the kids would attend Suffern High School which is much better. School Districts do not necessarily follow town borders so verify the actual schools.

Drive around the area and you decide, I grew up in the county and would not want to be living there I have had enough of them. Good Luck

Heres a link:
https://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/13/n...c-enclave.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/10/r...some-deer.html
http://nymag.com/news/features/east-...-4/index1.html

Old 10-26-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Monsey like most areas of Ramapo has significant Hassidic/Ultra Orthodox Jew Communities within it with some such as New Square being entirely Hassidic. Although not a dangerous bunch I would not want them as neighbor's as they are not the greatest at maintaining a homes appearance. As an outsider to their culture you would probably find yourself discreetly ignored/snubbed, it not because of race but because you are not one of them.

Ramapo High School is better than Spring Valley but if the home was in the Ramapo School District not East Ramapo then the kids would attend Suffern High School which is much better. School Districts do not necessarily follow town borders so verify the actual schools.

Drive around the area and you decide, I grew up in the county and would not want to be living there I have had enough of them. Good Luck

Heres a link:
https://www.nytimes.com/1997/01/13/n...c-enclave.html
https://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/10/r...some-deer.html
The Conflict Between the Hasidic and Immigrant Communities in East Ramapo -- New York Magazine
I know for sure the home is in the ERSD. I am 99% sure it's high school is RHS and not SVHS though.
The office I am considering in New City is a commercial/residential building so I guess I could use that as my residential address for school purposes if absolutely necessary ( I am not 100% sure how that works-but I believe it should work). I know New City's schools (can't remember if Suffern High School is one of them) are rated much much better than ERSD schools. However, that bridge is still a long way off.

Thanks for your feedback. I had already saved the NYMag article to read when I get home.

Old 10-26-2018, 01:59 PM

Can anybody of African descent or minority who lives or has lived there chime in??
According to Wikipedia Monsey, NY has a 4.32% African American population.
Would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:13 PM

974 posts, read 1,417,618 times
Quote:
I know for sure the home is in the ERSD. I am 99% sure it's high school is RHS and not SVHS though.
The office I am considering in New City is a commercial/residential building so I guess I could use that as my residential address for school purposes if absolutely necessary ( I am not 100% sure how that works-but I believe it should work). I know New City's schools (can't remember if Suffern High School is one of them) are rated much much better than ERSD schools. However, that bridge is still a long way off.

Thanks for your feedback. I had already saved the NYMag article to read when I get home.
You can't just use an address for residency. You will have to actually live there. School districts have/employ investigators that check this stuff out. Red flags will be raised if its a building not known to them as being a residence.

Old 10-26-2018, 02:14 PM

93,620 posts, read 124,349,112 times
Quote:

They go to Clarkstown Central Schools and Clarkstown North for HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York