Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 03:46 PM

9 posts, read 48,978 times

Advertisements

i need help.....my husband recently joined the army in october and in june we're going to be moving to fort drum where he got stationed. now, in from california, and have been in the same small town for all of the 24 years of my life. im sure the fort drum area is in so many ways different from ANY part of cali. if there is anyone that can help me out on what to expect as far as weather (im used to HOT weather! lol), jobs (hard to find???), housing (the cost of living??), or even schools (i have a 2 and almost 4 year old who will be starting pre-school soon).....anything whould help, i would greatly apreciated it. i really have no idea what to expect!!! thanks so much in advance......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 04:07 PM

118 posts, read 626,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koren09 View Post
i need help.....my husband recently joined the army in october and in june we're going to be moving to fort drum where he got stationed. now, in from california, and have been in the same small town for all of the 24 years of my life. im sure the fort drum area is in so many ways different from ANY part of cali. if there is anyone that can help me out on what to expect as far as weather (im used to HOT weather! lol), jobs (hard to find???), housing (the cost of living??), or even schools (i have a 2 and almost 4 year old who will be starting pre-school soon).....anything whould help, i would greatly apreciated it. i really have no idea what to expect!!! thanks so much in advance......
Do a search on the NY boards here for "Fort Drum"....there is a lot of information in different threads throughout these forums.

I am also an army wife, so I completely understand what you are going through.....Fort Drum is going to be a lot different than what you are used to in California. Having never lived anywhere else in your life, it will be a big adjustment for you.

As an army wife, you MUST learn asap, to "go with the flow" as far as moving is concerned. This is your life now, and your children's lives. It will be difficult at times, but trust me when I say this....you will meet friends that will become like your family in an instant. Being in the army and being an army wife is a bond that doesn't break. Everything will work out, it always does. Please don't worry too much and "Welcome to the Army Family....Hooah!"

Old 04-04-2008, 05:21 PM

9 posts, read 48,978 times
Default another ? bout fort drum.......

anyone in the military or married to a soldier........i need some honest imput on how fort drum is???? again, i'll be moving there in june from cali.......how is the whole moving situation worked out???.......is my families air fare gonna be paid for, all the way from cali to ny????.......how bout out furniture?? our car???.....im so new to this, i just need imput from people who have been through this.....and please, no suger coating...lol...thanks a bunch

Old 04-04-2008, 06:50 PM

118 posts, read 626,947 times
Quote:
anyone in the military or married to a soldier........i need some honest imput on how fort drum is???? again, i'll be moving there in june from cali.......how is the whole moving situation worked out???.......is my families air fare gonna be paid for, all the way from cali to ny????.......how bout out furniture?? our car???.....im so new to this, i just need imput from people who have been through this.....and please, no suger coating...lol...thanks a bunch
You NEED to get your hands on a few books.

One example is:

The Army Wife Handbook by Anne Crossley

another is

Married to the Military by [SIZE=-1]Meredith Leyva

As far as your moving expenses, you usually get reimbursed your expenses when you get to your new post. Your husband can ask for an advance in his pay I believe. HE needs to be the one to find this information out. Is he on a post right now? The military will move your household contents up to a certain weight depending on your husband's rank. I would definitely start to clear out some clutter and unnecessary stuff right now if I were you.

I'm sure you've seen this but here it is anyways:

Fort Drum, New York • Home

go to the Newcomers tab and click on that and read up on it.

I am sure you have your ID cards and that you are in the "Deers" system correct?

So much to do, but you have to get it all done.

If you want to direct message me with any questions please feel free to do that!

[/SIZE]

Old 08-20-2008, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 11,058 times
I am an Army wife work at the Army Community Service / Community Life Office on Fort Drum. Come by & we will get you all the info that you need. The Army life can take time to get used to, but with the right attitude, it can be fun & exciting.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:42 PM

2 posts, read 11,943 times
My husband is also being stationed at Ft. Drum in Feburary. I am trying to figure out things as well. The whole move and then the housing it's alot to do.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:11 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoresnat View Post
My husband is also being stationed at Ft. Drum in Feburary. I am trying to figure out things as well. The whole move and then the housing it's alot to do.
I feel for you. I love winter & snow but for someone moving from California to NNY in February it is going to be a brutal change.

Quote:
i need help.....my husband recently joined the army in october and in june we're going to be moving to fort drum where he got stationed. now, in from california, and have been in the same small town for all of the 24 years of my life. im sure the fort drum area is in so many ways different from ANY part of cali. if there is anyone that can help me out on what to expect as far as weather (im used to HOT weather! lol), jobs (hard to find???), housing (the cost of living??), or even schools (i have a 2 and almost 4 year old who will be starting pre-school soon).....anything would help, i would greatly apreciated it. i really have no idea what to expect!!! thanks so much in advance......
I can't help you with the Army wife aspect but I do know a little about the area, cost of living & climate. If you are comign from a hot climate you may be in for a shock, luckily you will be moving in the summer so you should at least have a chance to ease into winter. The summers in NNY are nice & mild. High temps are usually in the 70's to low 80's, rarely does it get above 90 for more than a day or 2. Winters are going to be different than anything you have ever experienced. The North Country of NY is the coldest part of the state, you can expect several stretches when the temp barely gets above 0 & the wind chill is well below. Watertown sits just off the eastern edge of Lake Ontario so it gets hit pretty hard with lake effect snow (usually near 100 inches/year), not as bad as the areas just to the south but bad enough for someone that hasn't dealt with much (if any) snow before. Watertown itself doesn't offer a lot in the way of entertainment but Syracuse is only a little over an hour to the south. The area does offer a lot in the way of outdoor activities like hiking, swimming, boating, etc. Economy & job opportunities are pretty bad across the North Country but Watertown does a little better than most areas because of Ft Drum. Cost of living, especially for someone who would be renting & wouldn't have to worry about property taxes, is very cheap.

Last edited by jblake78728; 01-02-2010 at 09:25 PM..

Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azoresnat View Post
Check here: Fort Drum, New York • Home

Fort Drum Family and Morale, Welfare and Recreation

About Drum Country

Fort Drum Mountain Community Homes - An Actus Lend Lease Community

Watertown, NY - Official Website

Greater Watertown North Country Chamber of Commerce, Watertown Chamber of Commerce, Watertown New York

watertown apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 PM

5 posts, read 17,940 times
Can anyone give me any information on Mountaineer Estates? We are moving there and am looking at that housing complex.

Old 04-09-2010, 07:01 AM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Is it on or off post?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York