Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2018, 07:20 PM

2 posts, read 1,682 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, nice to meet u all. I am currently deciding among these 2 schools. I am being accepted by them for transfer. I have to respond asap to New Paltz on 16th and Stony Brook on 20th......please share your thoughts My GPA is around 3.2-3.5....I am not very outgoing and active person. I mainly want to find a surrounding that is low-cost but safe. I am going to move from SF to NY. I might be continuing my study in the future after the completion of undergrad. At the same time I want to be involved in some arts like performances but I will only take those classes if my time let me.

Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2018, 07:46 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markusinfinite View Post
Hi everyone, nice to meet u all. I am currently deciding among these 2 schools. I am being accepted by them for transfer. I have to respond asap to New Paltz on 16th and Stony Brook on 20th......please share your thoughts My GPA is around 3.2-3.5....I am not very outgoing and active person. I mainly want to find a surrounding that is low-cost but safe. I am going to move from SF to NY. I might be continuing my study in the future after the completion of undergrad. At the same time I want to be involved in some arts like performances but I will only take those classes if my time let me.

Thanks a lot.
New Paltz will be a little bit more affordable, but it is more of a smaller community/area in terms of population as well. So, that may be something to keep in mind.

Hopefully, more posters will respond with more specific information.

Old 12-14-2018, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 1,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
New Paltz will be a little bit more affordable, but it is more of a smaller community/area in terms of population as well. So, that may be something to keep in mind.

Hopefully, more posters will respond with more specific information.
Thanks so much for your response That's helpful.

Old 12-15-2018, 09:53 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Both are good schools, which one works out better economically?

Old 12-15-2018, 11:15 AM
Q44

894 posts, read 1,030,774 times
I went to SB for grad school, lived on LI at the time. Very good school, large campus, it's one of the SUNY flagship schools. It's a safe area but kind of a lot of traffic You can take the LIRR in to NYC, about a 2 hour ride. Basically it's Long Island, you have the south shore beaches and more people, it's more expensive too. Also, I just don't think of SB for liberal arts.

As for NP, I live in the Hudson Valley now and am an hour from the town and campus. Both of my girls visited the college and applied. I frequently visited the town for my work. I really like the area, it's got a nice feel to it. Some parts of the campus are a little older, but overall it's very nice. The area and town are safe, lots of cafés, ice cream, etc. New Paltz does have a very good reputation for liberal arts. Both of my girls opted for other schools but several of my friends have kids that attended NP, a couple of them are there now. One of my coworkers' son graduated with a liberal arts degree with the intention of going to law school but he's put that off for now and is staying in NP because he loves it. He's in to the hiking and rock climbing in that area. There's bus service down to NYC which shockingly is faster than the railroad at Stony Brook. NP area is less expensive than LI too.

Last thought, for Gender Studies, Upstate NY has a history of involvement in the women's rights and suffrage movement.

Good luck with your decision

Old 12-15-2018, 11:58 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,183,576 times
"Gender studies?" Have you researched employment opportunities with a degree in that field? Also, since you are not a resident of NYS, tuition is currently $16,650 vs $6,870 for in state students. Why not Cal State East Bay where the combined tuition and fees for a full time undergrad student are $6,834/year and yes, they offer a "women's studies" major?

Old 12-17-2018, 10:57 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
You should go to the school closest to all of the gender studies factories they’re opening up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York