Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2021, 01:12 PM

2,983 posts, read 1,167,096 times

Advertisements

https://patch.com/new-york/new-york-...ting-wednesday (NEW YORK CITY — New York City will officially go maskless — mostly — starting Wednesday, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.

Cuomo announced Monday that the state will adopt recent CDC guidance that allows people fully vaccinated against the coronavirus to not wear masks in most indoor spaces.) ( MY OP i really wonder why he change his mind?? )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2021, 01:15 PM

5,826 posts, read 2,948,440 times
More allegations, less masks.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:16 PM

1,399 posts, read 892,048 times
I got this memo about a year ago. My body, my choice.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:24 PM

34,097 posts, read 47,302,110 times
Lol @ people happy to breathe Home Depot air again

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 05-17-2021, 01:29 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,220,813 times
Science!!

Old 05-17-2021, 01:40 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
But does that apply to NYC? In the past, Cuomo had proposed a certain set of rules for the State but not for the city. The restaurant capacity was one such rule.

Old 05-17-2021, 01:43 PM

6,689 posts, read 6,035,107 times
Here, I found it:

You still have to wear a face covering out in public when you cannot keep a six-foot distance from others. You also have to wear one when you are using public transportation or for-hire vehicles, or if you are an employee who has contact with customers or members of the public.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2021/05...sease-control/

Old 05-17-2021, 09:33 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times
I don't know but I have a very bad feeling about this. Don't you think we are claiming victory too quickly? First of all, we still haven't reached that 70-80% threshold for herd immunity, so we have a long way to go in the vaccination process. Secondly, there are some countries still in trouble such as India. Remember when it was just China in trouble last year and everyone was like, poor China? And lo and behold, the virus ended up all over the world. And don't forget that countries like India got into this mess they're in right now because they proclaimed victory prematurely.

Maybe I'm still paranoid and I'm wrong (and I hope I am), but I'd feel a lot better if we just waited a little bit longer until more people are vaccinated, positivity rates get even lower and other countries are on the same page and end plummeting in cases as well.

And maybe, just maybe, I can get on board with the no masks outside, but inside, it should still be mandated. Because how on earth are stores going to police every person who enters the store to find out if they vaccinated or not? That's just a huge inconvenience to the store employees. And if we're relying on people's honesty, then good luck with that. Many people will just say they are vaccinated so they don't have to wear a mask and that will just endanger the people who are not vaccinated. My mom did not get vaccinated because she has a history of very bad allergic reactions to a lot of medications, so she's a little paranoid about getting it. So it's really unfair to people like her when she has to go to the supermarket and there's a bunch of unmasked people around her and breathing all over her. That's just not right. I mean, really, how long do we really stay at a store? Would it hurt to just put the damn mask on for a short while?

This whole turnaround from the CDC is just stupid and I'm astounded that so many governors are going along with the stupidity!

Old 05-18-2021, 08:29 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
I don't know but I have a very bad feeling about this. Don't you think we are claiming victory too quickly? First of all, we still haven't reached that 70-80% threshold for herd immunity, so we have a long way to go in the vaccination process. Secondly, there are some countries still in trouble such as India. Remember when it was just China in trouble last year and everyone was like, poor China? And lo and behold, the virus ended up all over the world. And don't forget that countries like India got into this mess they're in right now because they proclaimed victory prematurely.

Maybe I'm still paranoid and I'm wrong (and I hope I am), but I'd feel a lot better if we just waited a little bit longer until more people are vaccinated, positivity rates get even lower and other countries are on the same page and end plummeting in cases as well.

And maybe, just maybe, I can get on board with the no masks outside, but inside, it should still be mandated. Because how on earth are stores going to police every person who enters the store to find out if they vaccinated or not? That's just a huge inconvenience to the store employees. And if we're relying on people's honesty, then good luck with that. Many people will just say they are vaccinated so they don't have to wear a mask and that will just endanger the people who are not vaccinated. My mom did not get vaccinated because she has a history of very bad allergic reactions to a lot of medications, so she's a little paranoid about getting it. So it's really unfair to people like her when she has to go to the supermarket and there's a bunch of unmasked people around her and breathing all over her. That's just not right. I mean, really, how long do we really stay at a store? Would it hurt to just put the damn mask on for a short while?

This whole turnaround from the CDC is just stupid and I'm astounded that so many governors are going along with the stupidity!
And if cases should increase, King Cuomo will get back on his throne and shut things down again. Why not wait and see what happens? No sense in worrying...

Old 05-18-2021, 06:07 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,412,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
And if cases should increase, King Cuomo will get back on his throne and shut things down again. Why not wait and see what happens? No sense in worrying...

I'm vaccinated so I'm not too concerned about myself. I'm more worried about those poor unvaccinated people. Those poor people will be surrounded and breathed on by fake "vaccinated" people who are roaming around stores without masks. That's not fair to them. And it also adds more work on businesses. Imagine the hardship some business owners must have to deal with from anti-mask people if they want to keep masks mandatory for their business! This whole thing just sounds like an invitation for disaster.

I don't know, but this almost seems like a punishment from the CDC and health experts. It's like, you get vaccinated or else, you're going to enter a danger zone! It seems like they are practically forcing the unvaccinated to get vaccinated, which is not right. Sure, it would be nice if everyone would elect to get vaccinated. That way, we can end this stupid pandemic once and for all. But people have their reasons and we need to be respectful of that.

Having said all that, I really do hope more people get vaccinated because this pandemic has been nothing but an unmitigated disaster and would be great if we can finally put an end to this. Sure, getting vaccinated has risks, but so is taking Tylenol and even taking a walk outside, you run the risk of getting hit by a bus. Life is full of risks, but the risks involved in getting vaccinated is FAR lower than the risk of getting Covid and dying. That's why for me, I was not scared one bit to get vaccinated. As soon as it was available to me, I ran out and got it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York