Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2021, 11:55 AM

18 posts, read 25,184 times

Advertisements

Hello everybody,
Whats going on in NY State outside of NYC? Is everyone wearing masks? Are most people terrified of getting covid? Are businesses shut?

Local vs State issues?

NY native thinking about returning, weighing pros, cons and wondering if its as bad as it sounds. Lemme know and thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2021, 12:15 PM

855 posts, read 458,896 times
Most people outside online extremists don't care about COVID and have moved on with their lives.

Old 09-26-2021, 12:23 PM

986 posts, read 690,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
Most people outside online extremists don't care about COVID and have moved on with their lives.
I agree mostly with that. However while shopping I see most masked up in the Putnam county area.

Old 09-26-2021, 01:40 PM

18 posts, read 25,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
...While shopping I see most masked up in the Putnam county area.
Is there a mask mandate that mall staff are enforcing?

Ive spent 2 months traveling the midwest and the south staying at motel 6 with my dog and no business's staff here are requiring masks. Few people wear them. Despite the news reports, no one knows anyone personally who's died (out side of a few anecdotal stories).

Old 09-26-2021, 08:28 PM

Well, this is NY. They love rules, and love being in everyone’s business. So yes it’s masks ahoy here, whether people are dying or not.

Old 09-27-2021, 06:43 PM

180 posts, read 217,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead123 View Post
I agree mostly with that. However while shopping I see most masked up in the Putnam county area.
Western Putnam here. I shop primarily in Cortlandt, Yorktown and Carmel. Haven't worn a mask in the supermarket since May. No stores actually mandate it, nor do any towns in the area, nobody cares. I did get dragged by a friend into some little indie bookstore in downtown Cold Spring and the lady working there made me take a disposable mask otherwise she wasn't going to let me into the store. But Cold Spring is like a satellite location of NYC these days so that's not surprising.

Old 09-28-2021, 01:49 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,481,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashowofhands View Post
Western Putnam here. I shop primarily in Cortlandt, Yorktown and Carmel. Haven't worn a mask in the supermarket since May. No stores actually mandate it, nor do any towns in the area, nobody cares. I did get dragged by a friend into some little indie bookstore in downtown Cold Spring and the lady working there made me take a disposable mask otherwise she wasn't going to let me into the store. But Cold Spring is like a satellite location of NYC these days so that's not surprising.
Philipstown (Cold Spring, Garrison) is a sattelite of north Brooklyn and UWS Manhattan, while the eastern Putnam towns are satellites of Staten Island. :-)

Overall, the number of people masking in Cold Spring has gone way down since vaccination hit critical mass. But yeah, Split Rock Books has been the most hardcore restrictive business in the village. Food Town and Drug World were pretty strict, too. But then there is not much else but restaurants (which of course allow you to be unmasked while seated even during the most restrictive periods), and a few other boutiques that are really for tourists anyway so I rarely go into them.

Frankly most of CS's shopping goes on in Fishkill, anyway.

Old 10-08-2021, 03:54 PM

2,587 posts, read 1,609,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrivalJones View Post
Is there a mask mandate that mall staff are enforcing?

Ive spent 2 months traveling the midwest and the south staying at motel 6 with my dog and no business's staff here are requiring masks. Few people wear them. Despite the news reports, no one knows anyone personally who's died (out side of a few anecdotal stories).

“A passenger on a train in France was forced to get off after refusing to wear a face mask.

The unnamed man was travelling on the TGV Paris-Nice service on 16 August when he was asked to put on a face covering, which are currently mandatory on French public transport.

He repeatedly refused, until the decision was taken to make an unscheduled stop so the man could be kicked off.

The train doesn’t normally stop before reaching Marseille, but railway security opted to eject the traveller at Creusot in the Saône-et-Loire region of eastern France – around 470km away from the next scheduled stop

470km = 292 miles, how d’you like them apples?

Old 10-08-2021, 06:13 PM

9,205 posts, read 6,378,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Francois View Post
“A passenger on a train in France was forced to get off after refusing to wear a face mask.

The unnamed man was travelling on the TGV Paris-Nice service on 16 August when he was asked to put on a face covering, which are currently mandatory on French public transport.

He repeatedly refused, until the decision was taken to make an unscheduled stop so the man could be kicked off.

The train doesn’t normally stop before reaching Marseille, but railway security opted to eject the traveller at Creusot in the Saône-et-Loire region of eastern France – around 470km away from the next scheduled stop

470km = 292 miles, how d’you like them apples?
This above story is from last year. However, a more recent story has a man being removed from the Eurostar for not wearing the right type of mask.

https://www.express.co.uk/travel/art...-France-latest

"Many of the travellers in the coach – where the unidentified man was sitting alone by a window in a two-seat row – had removed their masks completely, as they had sandwiches and drinks with them.

But within minutes of the train departing from Paris Gard du Nord, the businessman – believed to be in his 40s – was involved in a heated argument with the Eurostar manager, The Mirror reports.

French police then boarded the train and hauled off the man in Lille where the service made an emergency stop.

Once at the platform, he was surrounded by at least eight uniformed officers, and then reportedly left stranded when the Eurostar resumed its journey to England."

https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/08/franc...mask-15387499/

But do you think that the real story is that France is targeting Brits. The French are still steamed over the Australian submarine deal that they lost to the Brits and the US.

Old 10-10-2021, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashowofhands View Post
PV here too. Neighbors!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York