Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2021, 05:11 PM

19,062 posts, read 13,992,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Yeah, I still got the older Statue of Liberty plates and they are still pretty common on the roads.
The red one? If so, they are definitely not common. In fact weren't they recalled except for historical cars?

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
Still confused, so when NY changes plates, you can keep the old plates for years?
I still see many pre-2010 plates, though I have not seen the plates used in the 90s.

Personally the new NY plates, the design is good on paper but just about every car has a license plate cover which blocks the nice illustrations on top and the bottom, and it ends up looking like the plain VA or TX plate. It needs fixed. Any chance it happens soon?
The 2000's plates (blue and white) are still valid. The Statue of Liberty plate (90's) is only allowed in very rare circumstances. The orange one is still allowed and you don't have to switch. That plate only lasted like 7 years.

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search

Old 10-06-2021, 05:24 PM

615 posts, read 449,282 times
Traditionally, everyone had to get new plates when TPTB decided everyone had to get new plates.

Now, however, there are 3 designs allowed. The blue on white, the golden (yellow?) ones, and the latest excelsior plates. I changed out my blue on white plates, to the new ones, strictly because it didn't look like a NY plate.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:36 PM

93,544 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
The red one? If so, they are definitely not common. In fact weren't they recalled except for historical cars?
Yes, you are right. I completely mixed it up with the blue and white tags.

Old 10-06-2021, 07:53 PM

Ah, gotcha.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:09 PM

20,089 posts, read 20,897,502 times
I like the orange ones that peel and fall apart.
They incorporated the old old NY retro look.
I’ll never get the Cuomo plates.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:42 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,441,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
Traditionally, everyone had to get new plates when TPTB decided everyone had to get new plates.

Now, however, there are 3 designs allowed. The blue on white, the golden (yellow?) ones, and the latest excelsior plates. I changed out my blue on white plates, to the new ones, strictly because it didn't look like a NY plate.
So if you have the blue on white or the orange you do not have to get the new plates?
I thought the new white plates everybody had to get?
They are optional?

Personally I do not like the new ones because once you put a frame on the plate (which most cars have) you do not see the illustration, and it just looks like VA's base plates.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:15 AM

961 posts, read 2,506,253 times
Default Plates..insurance

[quote=Dingo Gibby;62005088]It's the other way around. You cancel your vehicle's insurance insurance first, then you turn in your plates. You don't get new plates every time you change insurance carriers, and changing insurance companies is fairly common.[/QUOTE

If you are , say, selling a car to someone..with no intention of reusing the plates..you turn the plates in at the DMV( after the sale is okay). Then (if necessary, with a receipt from them), you cancel your insurance. Canceling your insurance while the vehicle is still registered/and licensed in your name...before ever going to the DMV might bring you trouble from the state. To our beloved?? state govt, it is now an uninsured motor vehicle. Canceling the ins policy should always be the last step in selling a vehicle. Where trouble can ensue is if the new owner maybe has the vehicle transported to them and doesn't register it right away. To the people in Albany, it appears as if you have canceled ins on a car that's still on the road in your name..as it hasen't been reregistered in someone else's name yet/or the plates turned in.

Old 12-20-2021, 05:42 AM

961 posts, read 2,506,253 times
I will add to my response. Don't ever assume all is good with your auto insurance, esp if you pay in person, or by check/m.o. More than a few people have gotten an unpleasant surprise from Albany that their license might get suspended/ birthday taken away/ called a bad name/ etc... due to lack of insurance on a registered/licensed vehicle in their name. Be sure to get a receipt by mail or in person. Or even call back to confirm payment. More than a few (hundred, thousand, who knows how many) folks (inc LEO's on their private vehicles) have gotten tripped up because either the insurance co. or the state did not properly code in current insurance coverage on a policy. The insurance co. should alert you..usually.... just before the policy lapses. Suffice to say...when it's the state's glitch...its's often a trial by fire to get them to quickly correct their mistake.

Old 12-20-2021, 10:12 AM

956 posts, read 1,208,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mycatz View Post
I hate to admit it but I got the new excelsior plates because the colors went good with the color of my new car. Otherwise, I would have kept the gold/blue plates. Remember when Cuomo wanted people with peeling plates to replace them at their own expense? That got shut down fast.
I have seen so many vehicles are the road with peeling plates!!! The police really need to do a crackdown on this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York