Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2021, 12:24 PM

20,242 posts, read 21,005,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeHudson View Post
I have seen so many vehicles are the road with peeling plates!!! The police really need to do a crackdown on this.
No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2021, 01:13 PM

615 posts, read 451,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
So if you have the blue on white or the orange you do not have to get the new plates?
I thought the new white plates everybody had to get?
They are optional?

Personally I do not like the new ones because once you put a frame on the plate (which most cars have) you do not see the illustration, and it just looks like VA's base plates.
Yes, getting new design plates is optional at this point. I'm sure in near future at least the blue-on-white plates will go away.

I like the new plates because they don't look like NY plates...works for me.

Old 12-22-2021, 07:05 PM

7 posts, read 2,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo Gibby View Post
You can transfer your old plates to your new car when you buy a car, new or used. Most people who buy new cars let the dealership handle the paperwork, so they get new plates but they don't have to do so. A friend of mine has her pre-2010 style plates on her new 2021 Subaru Crosstrek.
Yes! As with all places, you can choose to stick to your old plates or get the newer ones when you register a new car. I think it's interesting to see a slew of all the different plates that a state has had when driving around.

Old 12-25-2021, 05:07 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,444,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
Yes, getting new design plates is optional at this point. I'm sure in near future at least the blue-on-white plates will go away.

I like the new plates because they don't look like NY plates...works for me.
The illustrated silhouette is too small and hidden by any license plate frame.

Old 10-02-2022, 04:13 PM

SO basically if you get a new vehicle/register a new vehicle/your old registration ends, then when you re-register you get the new plate.
But if you do not change vehicles or registrations and they do not expire you can keep your old plates or get new ones?

Old 10-02-2022, 07:38 PM

Quote:
SO basically if you get a new vehicle/register a new vehicle/your old registration ends, then when you re-register you get the new plate.
But if you do not change vehicles or registrations and they do not expire you can keep your old plates or get new ones?
If you buy a new car from scratch, meaning adding a car to your household/policy whatever, you get the Cuomo plates.

If you sell your old car to buy a new one you have the option to either transfer your existing plate to the new car, or, you can opt for an all new Cuomo plate. There is an additional fee, and yet another additional fee if you get new plates AND want to keep your original plate number.

If you have the orange peely Patterson plates they will replace them at no charge with an updated registration.
You get Cuomo plates.
Also with the option to keep your original plate number for an additional fee.

Old 10-04-2022, 10:27 AM

962 posts, read 2,511,091 times
..Speaking of license plates, When my son came home after 6 yrs in the Army, I gave him a filled out form and the $ for Purple Heart plates (yes..you have to pay for them). He wasen't thrilled with the idea, but humored me and got them. About a year later, on the way to work around 4am, he was stopped by a female member of NY State's "finest". She was convinced there had to be a violation someplace on this car. Frustrated, she came back to the window, and asked what he had to pay to get those "vanity" plates. As he later told me, he told this female officer, that he paid for the plates "with 2 in the left thigh in Afghanistan". With no violations found, he then said she told him not to leave until she pulled out and left. ..10 minutes or so later (after social media time, messaging to that significant other) she pulled out and drove off. Of course, my son was now late for his job..but our state was safer for this.....sure.

Old 10-04-2022, 10:30 AM

962 posts, read 2,511,091 times
.....and got "off the shelf" plates for his next vehicle.....

Old 10-04-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
If you buy a new car from scratch, meaning adding a car to your household/policy whatever, you get the Cuomo plates.

If you sell your old car to buy a new one you have the option to either transfer your existing plate to the new car, or, you can opt for an all new Cuomo plate. There is an additional fee, and yet another additional fee if you get new plates AND want to keep your original plate number.

If you have the orange peely Patterson plates they will replace them at no charge with an updated registration.
You get Cuomo plates.
Also with the option to keep your original plate number for an additional fee.
When you renew can you keep your old plates or do you have to get the new one?

Old 10-04-2022, 03:28 PM

Quote:
When you renew can you keep your old plates or do you have to get the new one?
Keep the old. Or not. Your choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York