Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 06:02 AM

5,307 posts, read 6,204,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Isn’t that a smaller VA facility?

I believe the Bath facility is a bigger facility: https://www.va.gov/finger-lakes-heal...edical-center/

The VA office in Wellsboro is a clinic not a hospital. Most out patient services are available there.

Quote:
Also, wouldn’t you have to go to Elmira, Corning or Williamsport for more amenities, including shopping?

Wellsboro for a small town has a remarkable variety of stores, restaurants and cultural venues. The OP wouldn't need to travel out of town for most items or services. Below is a link to a locally owned department store- one of a very few operating in the USA.

https://dunhamswellsboro.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2021, 07:42 AM

93,705 posts, read 124,432,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
The VA office in Wellsboro is a clinic not a hospital. Most out patient services are available there.

Wellsboro for a small town has a remarkable variety of stores, restaurants and cultural venues. The OP wouldn't need to travel out of town for most items or services. Below is a link to a locally owned department store- one of a very few operating in the USA.

https://dunhamswellsboro.com/
Wellsboro does look nice and I like how they have a locally owned department store. I'm just wondering if it would be too small and if the clinic care would be good enough for OP.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:36 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,193,928 times
Quote:
Wellsboro does look nice and I like how they have a locally owned department store. I'm just wondering if it would be too small and if the clinic care would be good enough for OP.
I need to be semi close to a VA. Got health issues and especially need emergency room access as well.

Old 12-14-2021, 01:38 AM

Yeah Wellsboro Pennsylvania only has 3000 people. That would be a lonely life for me as I have lived in really small towns and if you’re single it was brutal. Lived in Littleton NH once. Loved the town and the mountains. But being single there was rough. Real rough. Not the nicest people either.

Old 12-14-2021, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by folkguitarist555 View Post
I need to be semi close to a VA. Got health issues and especially need emergency room access as well.
Check my response to your thread in the General US forum.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:31 AM

5,307 posts, read 6,204,248 times
Quote:

The VA will pay for emergency room visits and hospital charges if admitted. The VA refused to pay at one time but a court ruling found that the VA is liable.

Emergency Care at Non-VA Health Care Facilities | Veterans Law Group

Quote:
Yeah Wellsboro Pennsylvania only has 3000 people. That would be a lonely life for me as I have lived in really small towns and if you’re single it was brutal. Lived in Littleton NH once. Loved the town and the mountains. But being single there was rough. Real rough. Not the nicest people either.

Don't talk to me about Littleton. I've been there once and never again. I had a reservation for a single at the Thayers Inn in Littleton. It turned out that the room was no bigger than a closet and located in a garret in the attic. The innkeeper said that was all that they had. I told him to shove the room where the sun doesn't shine and he invited me to leave.

You won't find this attitude in Wellsboro. Believe me, the people are friendly. People walking on the street will say hello to you. Sit at a bar and someone will strike up a conversation with you.

Your handle is "folkguitarist." Wellsboro has the "Endless Mountain Music Festival" and the Deane Center for Performing Arts plus there's Mansfield University next door. You won't be starved for culture.

Once you get used to small town living, you'll wonder why you ever lived in a city.

Old 12-14-2021, 03:12 PM

Quote:
The VA will pay for emergency room visits and hospital charges if admitted. The VA refused to pay at one time but a court ruling found that the VA is liable.

Don't talk to me about Littleton. I've been there once and never again. I had a reservation for a single at the Thayers Inn in Littleton. It turned out that the room was no bigger than a closet and located in a garret in the attic. The innkeeper said that was all that they had. I told him to shove the room where the sun doesn't shine and he invited me to leave.

You won't find this attitude in Wellsboro. Believe me, the people are friendly. People walking on the street will say hello to you. Sit at a bar and someone will strike up a conversation with you.

Your handle is "folkguitarist." Wellsboro has the "Endless Mountain Music Festival" and the Deane Center for Performing Arts plus there's Mansfield University next door. You won't be starved for culture.

Once you get used to small town living, you'll wonder why you ever lived in a city.

It always struck me odd that such a lively, gorgeous city of 5000, nested in the beautiful white mountains, could have that new englandesque, kind of cold demeanor. Especially customer service at the delis, the pizza places, the supermarkets, I sensed it like a bloodhound senses tracks. It was startling to me. Cause Littleton is a gorgeous town. Seemed like folks was kind of angry up there to. But to be fair, As much as I would love New England, I have experienced a taste of that even in Vermont. Oh well. I am glad that I am extremely warm soul who will strike up a conversation, and a genuine one, with any strangers I come across, if so be.

Now I will tell you I went to school in West Virginia for a little while and you want to talk about fabulously warm friendly souls, West Virginia’s number one in America. Now the college I was at was a little snooty. As it was a pricey Jesuit college. But beyond that, People waving to me in downtown Wheeling even when they were driving in their cars going through downtown. I’ll never forget I was in a small town somewhere in West Virginia when I was driving one day, I forget where, but it was at a McDonald’s and I was having my lunch and a group of school kids probably about 20 of them with a teacher or two came off a yellow bus and they all came in a McDonald’s and almost everyone of those children said hello to me as they strutted on by. It was like they was as warm hearted and as polite as little angels. Never experienced nothing like that in my lifetime. Beautiful souls there. I also had lots and invites over the holidays by friends there. I had a buddy named Jamie and he invited me over for Thanksgiving dinner at his family’s house. I went there and it was him and his two little siblings and his mom and me. Their dad was a motorcycle cop and had died in an accident a year before. I was amazed even in light of that, they had me over to share dinner with them. I believe I could see some of the pain on the mothers face. Some of the warmest souls I ever met in my life were in West Virginia.

Now being a NY’er, I’ve had my “your a yankee” encounters. Mostly in TN, and VA, and FL. I’m a very warm guy, who likes the south just as much as anywhere. But that’s life. Now let’s be honest and say And a lot of places around America that I have lived anyone who had the accent and originally hailed from New York City was not the most loved. Especially in Seattle. Seattle was the most intolerant city I’ve ever lived in, although it was a beautiful place and a beautiful part of the country. If you were a guy who was slightly conservative, you were as good as dead. You did not exist to those people. And that includes being a centrist or an independent or a libertarian. Not acceptable, period. Especially, and I mean especially in the dating realm amongst the single Female populace of Seattle. That’s when u had no choice but to get a dog or a turtle or a cat

Last edited by folkguitarist555; 12-14-2021 at 03:52 PM..

Old 12-14-2021, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Isn’t that a smaller VA facility?

I believe the Bath facility is a bigger facility: https://www.va.gov/finger-lakes-heal...edical-center/

Also, wouldn’t you have to go to Elmira, Corning or Williamsport for more amenities, including shopping?

To be honest OP, after looking at this list: https://www.va.gov/directory/guide/f...te=NY&dnum=ALL

and given the public transportation aspect mentioned, the bigger Upstate areas or perhaps other smaller cities like Batavia and Canandaigua with facilities like the one in Bath are worth looking into.
In terms of the highlighted community, it would be another very good choice…

https://www.va.gov/finger-lakes-health-care/
https://www.canandaiguanewyork.gov/?mobile=false
https://www.canandaiguachamber.com/
https://www.downtowncanandaigua.com/

Old 12-14-2021, 09:24 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,981,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Well, it’s NY, so expensive COL right off the bat. Then, there’s the weather. 4 months out of the year are not fun for someone going into their golden years. Our minds might think we’re still 30 years old but our bodies strongly disagree, so there will be added expense for snow removal because you get to a point where you just can’t do it anymore, even if you want to.
Maybe, as a renter or if you end up in a development snow removal may be taken care of, but you will be paying for it in some way.

I don’t know too much about that area but my cousins moved to Elmira probably 50 or 60 years ago from Queens, settled in and never left. It’s multi generational at this point.

I’m sure someone will chime in with more specific and detailed info.
Expensive right off the bat? He's talking about Corning and Elmira....lol. Dirt cheap.

I could probably sell my house here in FL today and purchase a house in Corning or Elmira outright.

Old 01-10-2022, 10:18 AM

Quote:

Yea that’s funny. It’s why I got out of Littleton. Lovely town. But unfriendly as all heck. And terrible as a single transplant. Sometimes it truly amazes me how stuck up and unfriendly so many Americans are in various places and towns and etc.
Littleton was a real shocker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York