Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 05:22 PM

5,904 posts, read 3,032,462 times

Advertisements

Almost no masking in restaurants and diners on Ali since 2020 July. All fine.
Li did go fully red so naturally stronger people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2021, 03:57 AM

7,533 posts, read 3,655,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
I was just at American Dream mall yesterday. It was like stepping into 2019, back to the future. No masks.
Its like COVID magically disappears once you cross the Hudson.
not for long, NY Junior (New Jersey) will soon have a statewide mask mandate to copy their mentor, California.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:13 AM

35,388 posts, read 17,285,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
not for long, NY Junior (New Jersey) will soon have a statewide mask mandate to copy their mentor, California.
Lamont announced that CT would not.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
Precisely why I used the roll eyes emoji. People don't want to believe me when I say this is all political.

I mean, she's instilling fear in NYers, asking them to mask up again, and she wants people to return to the office in the New Year. How does any of this make sense??
Incoherence on display.

Old 12-14-2021, 10:39 AM

180 posts, read 216,597 times
This move is so bad it almost makes me wonder if Blowchul is trying to self-sabatoge. I don't know anybody who is happy about having to mask up again. Virtually every Republican county exec in the state has publicly stated that they will not be complying. Once again, impossible to tell if the leadership in Albany has nefarious, evil motives, or if they are just completely and utterly incompetent - but regardless of which it is, it's the people of New York who suffer the consequences. I'd be out of this $hit3hole state entirely if I could afford to move/had a job lined up elsewhere.

Old 12-14-2021, 11:09 AM

2,324 posts, read 1,172,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashowofhands View Post
This move is so bad it almost makes me wonder if Blowchul is trying to self-sabatoge. I don't know anybody who is happy about having to mask up again. Virtually every Republican county exec in the state has publicly stated that they will not be complying. Once again, impossible to tell if the leadership in Albany has nefarious, evil motives, or if they are just completely and utterly incompetent - but regardless of which it is, it's the people of New York who suffer the consequences. I'd be out of this $hit3hole state entirely if I could afford to move/had a job lined up elsewhere.

It's all about maintaining control over the population of New York. Even if it results in companies permanently abandoning their plans to return to offices. Maybe all these on-and-off mask mandates are a dry run for 'climate emergencies' in which New Yorkers will be forced to only drive an certain days, shut off our a/c on very hot days, lower our heat on frigid days. Mandatory wi-fi thermostats with over-ride from Albany.

Old 12-14-2021, 06:14 PM

5,788 posts, read 4,168,516 times
I went to a bunch of places today. I did not wear a mask. No one said anything and many others were maskless. Keep it going!

Old 12-14-2021, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashowofhands View Post
I don't know anybody who is happy about having to mask up again. Virtually every Republican county exec in the state has publicly stated that they will not be complying. Once again, impossible to tell if the leadership in Albany has nefarious, evil motives, or if they are just completely and utterly incompetent - but regardless of which it is, it's the people of New York who suffer the consequences. I'd be out of this $hit3hole state entirely if I could afford to move/had a job lined up elsewhere.
I think the point needs to be made, in an effectual manner and not by way of insult, that we do not live in a dictatorship. Hochul, Newsom and the like work for us, and not the other way around. I think that is what is forgotten.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:09 AM

2,324 posts, read 1,172,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I went to a bunch of places today. I did not wear a mask. No one said anything and many others were maskless. Keep it going!

I do the same thing. But if a business owner has a sign asking customers to mask up, I will. It's their space and their choice and I respect their wishes.

Old 12-15-2021, 06:20 AM

11,975 posts, read 6,275,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodel View Post
You mean the refusal to wear masks is political. Continuing to wear one makes perfect sense.
The point is, wearing masks does not make sense.

We have almost 2 solid years of data to determine if widespread mask use effects infections and spread of Covid. Comparing states or cities where there is high mask utilization against states and cities with low mask utilization, you see no statistical difference in covid infections or fatality rates.

You believe masks are effective because it seems logical to you on the surface. Please do some research. Look into the infection rates and fatality rates of cities with very high mask usage vs. those with very low mask usage. You will quickly find that there is no statistical difference in result.

That is why we say it makes no sense to wear masks. If it did, there would be places in America where Covid was all but wiped out due to the high mask usage. That is not the case. There is no place in America where Covid is almost wiped out. The only logical conclusion is that masks don't significantly reduce the spread of Covid.

The same is true as far as the vaccine. Just talking about infections and spread, if the vaccines significantly reduced the spread of Covid, there would by cities with very high vaccinations rates that very low numbers of Covid cases. That just isn't true.

The fact is, masks don't seem to do very much at all to reduce the spread of Covid. That being the case, it makes very little sense to wear masks.

Keeping your distance is more effective than wearing masks, but in all of the hoopla to enforce mask use, the message to keep your distance is really falling through the cracks. In fact, it is the people wearing masks who are most likely to walk right beside me to the point of almost bumping shoulders. They act like their masks are a magic barrier and completely disregard the need to keep a 6-foot distance.

I would much prefer they kept their 6-foot distance. Instead they act like, "I am wearing my mask, so I can squeeze right by you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York