Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2022, 10:01 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be in Pittsburgh in mid May. From there I'll be going to Cooperstown, NY (Hall of Fame).

Google shows me 2 main routes.
  1. Up I79 past Erie PA through Buffalo and past Syracuse to Cooperstown.
  2. The other is I99 through PA up through Binghamton.

The difference in time between the two right now is literally 1 minute which makes me want to take the more scenic route. I notice the #1 route goes along Lake Erie which probably opens up areas to check out the Lake and maybe some beautiful sights but I know driving through middle of PA and NY could also offer some great scenic views which is why I'm asking here.

I plan on doing this in one day as the estimated time is about 6.75 hours and have a lot to do after Cooperstown so I don't want to spend to much time getting off my route. However, if one of the 2 options or both have really interesting/older towns to go through I have no problem doing that if it only adds 30 minutes to my trip. So any recommendations on cool little towns on either route is welcomed!

I know one route is mostly PA and this is a NY forum but hoping I can at least gain knowledge of the NY route and if there is anything really sticking out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2022, 10:54 AM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I would maybe also consider the I-79 to I-86/Route 17 East to I-88 to Route 28 North. You can stop by Letchworth State Park, the Corning Museum of Glass in Corning, perhaps Watkins Glen a little further northeast, etc. It is also toll free. Owego, in between Binghamton and Elmira is a nice small town to check out along that route. Oneonta is a small city close to Cooperstown on this route as well. It only adds about 15 minutes to the drive going this way.

On the other hand, with the I-79/I-90 East(get off at Herkimer and take Route 28 South) route, you are also go by the Finger Lakes to the south of I-90(includes some nice, smaller communities like Seneca Falls, Canandaigua, Geneva, etc.), Montezuma Wildlife Refuge, multiple museums in Auburn(also a Finger Lakes "city", with quaint Skaneateles about 5 miles to the east on Route 20), the Boxing Hall of Fame in Canastota(about 20 miles east of Syracuse), Chittenango(would have to get off at the Canastota exit/go through that village/then go west on Route 5) has the Wizard of Oz Museum/The Wild Animal Park and the Landing Canal boat Museum and Herkimer has the Diamond Mines, among other nearby options. I-90/NYS Thruway is a toll/E-Z pass road though.

With the I-99/I-80/Route 220/Routes 15/14/17/I-86/I-88 way, you could still do Corning and/or Owego before getting to or after Binghamton, as well as Oneonta.

So, I hope that gives you some ideas as to which way to go would fit more of what you are looking for.

Old 02-10-2022, 11:36 AM

Thanks I checked out those routes on google. The first point you made is something I might consider about 79 to 86.

You listed a lot of stuff that is probably cool but I wouldn't have any time to stop places like Museum etc..Even state park probably wouldn't be possible.

I feel like this is one part of my trip that will be mostly driving and if I could drive through a cool looking town without getting too far off schedule I would def do that.

Appreciate the info!

Old 02-10-2022, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Thanks I checked out those routes on google. The first point you made is something I might consider about 79 to 86.

You listed a lot of stuff that is probably cool but I wouldn't have any time to stop places like Museum etc..Even state park probably wouldn't be possible.

I feel like this is one part of my trip that will be mostly driving and if I could drive through a cool looking town without getting too far off schedule I would def do that.

Appreciate the info!
In this case, Oneonta and Owego along the I-99/Route 17-I-86/I-88 route would work. Olean, Owego and Corning would work for the I-86 route.

In terms of the I-90 route, I'd say that maybe Liverpool(village), maybe Canastota, Seneca Falls and Victor are some along/near that route.

Old 02-10-2022, 12:33 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I would maybe also consider the I-79 to I-86/Route 17 East to I-88 to Route 28 North.
This is the route that I would take. But ckhthankgod has left out some details. I-79 to I-90 (New York Thruway) then to I-86. Follow I-86/NY17 to Binghamton and then turn north on I-81 until you hit I-88 and then exit onto NY28. This route has a very easy alignment but there are a number of NY State Troopers patrolling these roads as it is easy to speed.

Recall that Judge Jeanine Pirro (of Fox's Judge Jeanine show) was caught doing 119 MPH on I-86/NY17 near Nichols, NY last November. So be on the lookout for cops. In NYS local cops can also stop you for speeding.

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/201...rch/355215002/

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ty-advice.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ga-county.html

Last edited by Wells5; 02-10-2022 at 12:48 PM..

Old 02-10-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
This is the route that I would take. But ckhthankgod has left out some details. I-79 to I-90 (New York Thruway) then to I-86. Follow I-86/NY17 to Binghamton and then turn north on I-81 until you hit I-88 and then exit onto NY28. This route has a very easy alignment but there are a number of NY State Troopers patrolling these roads as it is easy to speed.

Recall that Judge Jeanine Pirro (of Fox's Judge Jeanine show) was caught doing 119 MPH on I-86/NY17 near Nichols, NY last November. So be on the lookout for cops. In NYS local cops can also stop you for speeding.

https://www.lohud.com/story/news/201...rch/355215002/

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ty-advice.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...ga-county.html
Thanks. Took me awhile to find I90 until I zoomed in on the map.

Does this route have a scenic component to it?

Old 02-10-2022, 01:55 PM

Quote:

Not really, but there is some hilly scenery in parts. For a more scenic route, I would take the other 2 routes.

Old 02-10-2022, 03:51 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Quote:

If you take the route that I recommend, you are only on I-90 for a few miles before you exit onto I-86. Below is a video showing I-86 crossing Chautauqua Lake. The lake and surroundings are gorgeous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ8oUxfut-M
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York