Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 07:18 PM

17 posts, read 18,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I understand. It wasn’t to argue, but this article gets into what I’m referring to: https://www.syracuse.com/politics/20...outputType=amp

There is likely some other things not mentioned in the article like the watershed, where there is some give and take and Upstate likely wouldn’t have some of the regulations that come with being associated with NYC. However, the economic aspect is more of what I’m referring to.

An interesting read and something to keep in mind when people call for succession anywhere.

Also if some readers think I'm posting only my own "negative opinions" you can check HV Pattern For Progress Out of Alignment website, the entire thing is worth reading.

https://www.hvoutofalignment.com

Also search local subReddits and Quora threads:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hudsonvalley/
https://www.quora.com/search?q=hudson%20valley%20ny

Last edited by urbhmnblues; 04-10-2022 at 08:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 05:30 AM

961 posts, read 2,502,359 times
....Utility lines cross Upstate NY to feed...downstate power needs,
.....Nat gas lines cross upstate NY (like my farm) to feed..downstate heating needs,
...Certain(NOT most) downstate waste disposal needs go to...a couple upstate landfills,
....the majority of felons held in upstate prisons...come from downstate(fact),
...and of course, the clean/well known/water supply system/resevoirs, from upstate..feed...downstate,
...lower level crime in smaller upstate cities has been increased by the presence of
transplants from NYC who thought pickings would be easier upstate,
(this I can affirm from the post military career I recently retired from),
...won't even add in unneeded regs/rules/laws...which had their formation by downstate legislators.
I'll stop there..but could add more...

Old 04-11-2022, 08:59 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbhmnblues View Post
It's all a complex situation and there are many details.
For a single person without decent or no health insurance at all, it's irrelevant what is the area if you can't afford it or use it, so you will end up self-medicating some other way or not at all.

The state pays more money to NYC and people down there complain when they visit or move up here about why it's so bad, that's partially because the money isn't allocated or being used properly.
So the city people (both rich and poor) will get what someone else paid them for, or they will get it for "free" on welfare or crime.
This is a problem in many urban areas, but especially NYC. The taxes are super high, so the government is constantly throwing money at problems rather than solve them.

Just one example of the largest drain in NYC is the subway.

Subway fares are substantially subsidized, rather than charging the REAL cost. If that happened, pressure would be put on the authorities to lower the costs, and thus, the fare. That is how things work in the REAL world.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:27 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
This is a problem in many urban areas, but especially NYC. The taxes are super high, so the government is constantly throwing money at problems rather than solve them.

Just one example of the largest drain in NYC is the subway.

Subway fares are substantially subsidized, rather than charging the REAL cost. If that happened, pressure would be put on the authorities to lower the costs, and thus, the fare. That is how things work in the REAL world.
Ironically, much of NYC has some of the lowest property tax rates in the state due to the high cost of housing due to demand.

Old 04-11-2022, 09:46 AM

5,679 posts, read 4,081,937 times
Quote:
Ironically, much of NYC has some of the lowest property tax rates in the state due to the high cost of housing due to demand.
Yes, but local taxes don't fund the subways

Old 04-11-2022, 09:51 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,819,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Yes, but local taxes don't fund the subways
Well, if mainly state and maybe some federal taxes do, guess where most of those taxes are coming from to fund it in regards to state residents?

Some information from the MTA: https://new.mta.info/budget/MTA-operating-budget-basics

Old 04-11-2022, 03:53 PM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
NYC has lower property taxes because there are more corporations tax revenue.

--------------------

I guess I never thought about it before - It's an interesting question about who funds the subways.

The MTA includes subways, buses, bridges, tunnels, Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Railroad.

The MTA's largest funding source is revenue we collect from customers. 50% of our revenue come from tolls (money paid crossing bridges and tunnels) and Farebox Revenue (money paid to ride subways, buses, and trains).

Petroleum Business Taxes (PBT) on auto, aviation, and heating oil petroleum products,
Taxi Surcharge,
Commercial real estate property transfer tax, recording mortgage tax on borrowers and institutional lenders,
a License Fee,
Motor Vehicle Registration Fee,
Taxicab Tax,
Auto Rental Tax.

^^^ includes many business I wouldn't necessarily associated with mass transit.

Guess this is why New York State has such large mortgage/closing costs.

Last edited by YorktownGal; 04-11-2022 at 04:52 PM..

Old 04-11-2022, 06:07 PM

615 posts, read 447,835 times
Without city residents ("citidiots" to locals), the Hudson Valley would be just another NYS dumpy area.

Old 04-12-2022, 08:20 AM

1,213 posts, read 567,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
Without city residents ("citidiots" to locals), the Hudson Valley would be just another NYS dumpy area.
That’s a load of BS. City morons are a nuisance and bring down quality of life.

Old 04-12-2022, 12:56 PM

7,505 posts, read 4,347,082 times
We left Westchester County and moved to Arizona 12 years ago. Taxes, political situation, asinine gun laws, vehicle inspections, cost of utilities, litter, noise, congestion, weather, the place just sucks. There's really no reason on God's green earth why it costs so much to put up with all of that crap? Getting the hell out of there has been a liberating experience and that's putting it mildly. Getting out of New York for us was having a tremendous burden lifted off of our shoulders. There's just nothing like the taste of freedom.

Back in New York we weren't living we were existing. We got so sick and tired of watching our hard earned income disappear into the giant cesspool of corruption which is New York's legislature along with its public employee's and teacher's unions. Of which the legislature was owned and paid off by. New York's motto was once "The Empire State" it should now be called "The Vampire State" as it sucks the economic life blood out of those who for whatever reasons are stuck living there. Unless of course they're filthy rich.

Now when I get up and walk outside I just thank God that I live in Arizona and I'm 2742 miles away from all of that crap. It's like waking up from a bad dream. Knowing what I know now and from living here my only regret is not being born and raised in Arizona. But nobody gets to choose where they are born and raised? I'm proud of our adopted state and proud to call it home. We have such a sense of belonging here.

Of course growing up in New York as a kid was okay. Then you didn't have the same worries as your parents and grandparents had trying to keep their heads above water in one of if not thee most expensive places to live in the entire United States. In my opinion it's really not that nice there when compared to other states. Especially the Great American Southwest. All of our cross country trips were by rail and we saw a lot of the country to compare New York to. Then I rented a box truck and drove to Arizona when we moved.

Between property taxes and utilities alone I figured out that our cost of living is about $20,000 a year less than it was in New York. That's $20,000 a year to spend as we see fit and at least we have something to show for it. The landscape and weather is spectacular out here and we're living in a much nicer home in a neighborhood that we could only dream of had we stayed in New York. I still can't believe that we live here. It's a great big wonderful country there's a place for just about everyone. There's a lot more to life than the Hudson Valley and New York State that's for sure.

For anyone that's just sitting on the fence about moving. You've just gotta' find that place that best suits your lifestyle and beliefs and just do it. At least for us it was the best thing that we ever did.
Attached Thumbnails
Leaving the Hudson Valley NY-img_0165.jpeg   Leaving the Hudson Valley NY-img_3748.jpeg   Leaving the Hudson Valley NY-img_3717.jpeg   Leaving the Hudson Valley NY-img_5115.jpeg   Leaving the Hudson Valley NY-img_5288.jpeg  

Leaving the Hudson Valley NY-img_5148.jpeg   Leaving the Hudson Valley NY-img_5392.jpeg   Leaving the Hudson Valley NY-img_2121.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York