Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 04:38 PM

615 posts, read 448,852 times

Advertisements

So they were looking for a champagne lifestyle on a beer budget. Unfortunately, that's rarely the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 06:37 PM

961 posts, read 2,504,988 times
There are a couple situations near me where city folk have bought what was..a former full time residence. The problem..they forget that the place they bought requires regular care..either weekends by them..or contracted with a local to maintain/watch the place. I offered that service to some folks from Philly who bought their "weekend retreat" up on top of a hilly driveway....just down the road from me. They told me it just seemed like a waste of their money to have me do what they could do.....oh well..
The list of what has gone wrong there is extensive..even down to common sense things like coming up for a "weekend in the snow"..and getting stuck on that unplowed hilly driveway.

Old 04-13-2022, 07:03 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
There are a couple situations near me where city folk have bought what was..a former full time residence. The problem..they forget that the place they bought requires regular care..either weekends by them..or contracted with a local to maintain/watch the place. I offered that service to some folks from Philly who bought their "weekend retreat" up on top of a hilly driveway....just down the road from me. They told me it just seemed like a waste of their money to have me do what they could do.....oh well..
The list of what has gone wrong there is extensive..even down to common sense things like coming up for a "weekend in the snow"..and getting stuck on that unplowed hilly driveway.
Is this a consistent thing across the board or does the response to such matters vary?

Old 04-13-2022, 07:11 PM

615 posts, read 448,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioga View Post
They really didn't even get a plowguy?

Old 04-14-2022, 06:42 AM

961 posts, read 2,504,988 times
Who knows?..they prefer as little interaction with the locals as possible..and from what I saw..overestimated the snow capabilities of their Range Rover...

Old 04-14-2022, 10:21 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,542,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeMeQuick View Post
They didn’t even realize that snow plowing wasn’t covered by their HOA and were stunned to receive a bill for almost $1,000.
So much wrong with the story of these buyers, but the above sentence gets to the heart of it.

They didn't realize about the plowing because they didn't read the HOA agreement. They received a copy of the HOA by-laws/rules prior to closing.

Moving to the "North Country" but not expecting harsh winters? Somewhat understandable as many people lack common sense.

Not reading the documentation that details what you are buying into? That's a whole different level of dumb.

Quote:
The area was very well known to them before they bought
They may have visited the area often. Like their self-inflicted ignorance of HOA services, they probably didn't pay attention when they were there. Considering their reasons for wanting to leave, they obviously didn't know the area well, if at all.

Quote:
So, is this happening with other families too? Did buyers just jump the gun? Will this cause inventory in rural areas to expand as other houses come on the market? Thoughts?
I know flatlanders who bought property in the Southern Tier/Catskills. Their plan was to build a second home and eventually retire there full-time. All have abandoned the full-time idea after seeing the reality of winter. Not exactly the same as the situation you describe, as this was further south and they were all smart enough to test the area before full-time relocation.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:22 PM

63 posts, read 70,607 times
That’s very interesting about your “flatliners.” And it’s surprising to hear that the cold weather was enough to chase them away that far south. The weather in the North Country is way colder than in the Southern Tier, isn’t it? The weather takes a toll on spirits and property, it seems, and even people who are just part-time residents seem to wonder if it’s worth it to commit to ownership. It’s interesting to examine all the shifts in residence going on these days.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:34 PM

1,213 posts, read 568,615 times
The flatlanders aka “citiots” have much milder winters downstate/coast. And they complain and think that’s bad, until they move to the “quiet and peaceful country”. They also do not know how treacherous their quiet winding hilly road can be either. They love their little off the beaten path home that they bought “in June”.
Some of them are dumber than rocks too. Buying property without checking high speed internet availability, cell coverage, etc…flood zones…

Old 04-14-2022, 02:47 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
There are also some second home owners from out of state as well. I knew of a famous country singer that had/has a home in the Thousand Islands area, as do some others. I think some do "count up the cost" before buying and many may live only during the warmer months.

Old 04-14-2022, 04:52 PM

1,213 posts, read 568,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
There are also some second home owners from out of state as well. I knew of a famous country singer that had/has a home in the Thousand Islands area, as do some others. I think some do "count up the cost" before buying and many may live only during the warmer months.
Yes. There’s some heavy hitters with places in the finger lake area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York