Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 03:25 PM

340 posts, read 268,495 times

Advertisements

New Yorkers who moved somewhere else, what was your experience? Did you like it, or did you move back to NY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2022, 02:58 PM

3,483 posts, read 6,278,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post
New Yorkers who moved somewhere else, what was your experience? Did you like it, or did you move back to NY?
Moved many times. Hate it and like it. Wanna move to a red state hate NY

Old 07-01-2022, 03:53 PM

1,213 posts, read 570,853 times
Moved to get away from NY’ers(city/LI’ers)
They would just start moving in by the boatload and cause chaos and havoc so we moved a few times to get away. Now we’re back in NY, upstate, in an area they haven’t, and hopefully won’t discover. I thinks it’s too far for them and too cold. Most either bail altogether to the south or stay within that 2-4 hour safe zone of NYC/LI.

Old 07-03-2022, 04:55 AM

961 posts, read 2,510,122 times
For someone wishing to get beyond the areas of interest for the pilgrims from downstate...look at areas beyond the 3 or so hour drive from NYC/LI. We are just beyond that that drive time, and the influx of part time or full time folks..is considerably less than counties to our east/southeast. There are exceptions..The ADK's, the Finger Lakes..all more than 3+ hours away from the northern edge of NYC..and 4+ hours from L.I..

Old 07-03-2022, 08:22 PM

164 posts, read 115,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
They would just start moving in by the boatload and cause chaos and havoc so we moved a few times to get away. Now we’re back in NY, upstate, in an area they haven’t, and hopefully won’t discover. I thinks it’s too far for them and too cold. Most either bail altogether to the south or stay within that 2-4 hour safe zone of NYC/LI.
Moved 17 years ago to North Carolina. Born and raised in New York, hated it. Felt like a fish out of water . Unfortunately, I forgot to lock the door when I left. Since Covid especially, they've been coming down in droves. Prices have gotten way out of hand. Native North Carolinians can't afford housing in the triangle anymore. Don't want this state to become another NY.

Old 07-03-2022, 09:59 PM

356 posts, read 373,225 times
Move was great! Never going back.

Old 07-04-2022, 05:03 AM

1,213 posts, read 570,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmypets View Post
Moved 17 years ago to North Carolina. Born and raised in New York, hated it. Felt like a fish out of water . Unfortunately, I forgot to lock the door when I left. Since Covid especially, they've been coming down in droves. Prices have gotten way out of hand. Native North Carolinians can't afford housing in the triangle anymore. Don't want this state to become another NY.
Yup. It’s been trending that way for years but gradually. The covid thing just gave it a shot of steroids.
It’d be one thing if these transplants adapted and assimilated but they don’t. They move in and immediately proceed to turn wherever into the place they left. They turn Mayberry into Karenville.

Old 07-04-2022, 07:23 AM

93,903 posts, read 124,640,310 times
^Not necessarily just that, but those places don’t have the infrastructure for the rush of people that move down there because it is cheaper at the time. That is why much of Upstate can be on par with some of the places that people move to in the South, if not more affordable when look at the total picture. I say this as someone who has a sister in the Charlotte area, a brother in the Tidewater area of VA, an aunt in the Greensboro area, a parent from SC that visits occasionally and even from some posters on here over the years I’ve been on here. So, things like cost have to be viewed in totality.

I will say that if you move south, look at certain parts of say AL(Huntsville, Auburn-Opelika, Mobile and select suburbs of Birmingham), TN(Chattanooga, Knoxville, Clarksville) and even MS(Oxford, Starkville, NW portion next to Memphis and even select Jackson suburbs-Brandon comes to mind or the Gulf). Those are areas that are growing, but not at the pace of more popular Southern areas.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 07-04-2022 at 07:35 AM..

Old 07-04-2022, 12:04 PM

164 posts, read 115,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardstarkey View Post
But those taxes still get you, and cost of heating. Ac maybe not. If you can get a job working remotely, maybe it will work for you. If retired maybe not. Good luck , anyway.

Old 07-04-2022, 03:00 PM

165 posts, read 104,217 times
My family moved to the Buffalo area when I was in highschool. Lived there a few years then we moved to the Rochester area. In my 20s I moved down to D.C. with a boyfriend. Relationship ended, and our lease was up. Rather than sign another lease on my own down there I came back to Rochester to be close to family.
I'm so glad I took the opportunity to live in D.C. for 2 years. It was a great experience and I don't regret the choice to move there or the choice to move back to NY. I've been back in Rochester for over 10 yrs now. I actually really love it here. It feels like home to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York