Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2023, 01:49 PM

93,912 posts, read 124,640,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I would not exactly say there is much a village there, unless there’s been some riproaring growth in the past years. I somehow doubt it in that part of New York.
Whitney Point itself is an incorporated village of just under 1000 people. So, it is just a tiny municipality and always has been, as it peaked at just under 1100 people in 1980.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 05:26 PM

35,301 posts, read 17,191,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Whitney Point itself is an incorporated village of just under 1000 people. So, it is just a tiny municipality and always has been, as it peaked at just under 1100 people in 1980.
I'm surprised it even had that many. I graduated in 1979 so was going through there every few weeks on my commute to and from the New York area.

Old 01-10-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
I'm surprised it even had that many. I graduated in 1979 so was going through there every few weeks on my commute to and from the New York area.
Yes, it is tiny and to give some frame of reference, the high school sports teams are in Class C generally, which is the second smallest classification.

To bring back to the Thruway, Shake Shack, I believe, is replacing the McDonald’s or at least a portion of them.

Here is a thread from 2021 about Shake Shack coming to the Thruway: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...ck-slated.html

Old 01-11-2023, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Yes, it is tiny and to give some frame of reference, the high school sports teams are in Class C generally, which is the second smallest classification.
Going up 79, Richford is even smaller, I would think.

Quote:
To bring back to the Thruway, Shake Shack, I believe, is replacing the McDonald’s or at least a portion of them.

Here is a thread from 2021 about Shake Shack coming to the Thruway: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-...ck-slated.html
That's four stops and in the future. Why is the Government not interested in basic services, on a steady basis? All of the stops are doing pie-in-the-sky renovations, with lengthy suspension of services. Don't the politicians even care for people's bladders?

Old 01-11-2023, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Going up 79, Richford is even smaller, I would think.

That's four stops and in the future. Why is the Government not interested in basic services, on a steady basis? All of the stops are doing pie-in-the-sky renovations, with lengthy suspension of services. Don't the politicians even care for people's bladders?
I don’t think the bathrooms would be closed, as construction can take place with bathroom access still available.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:37 AM

5,765 posts, read 4,142,192 times
Quote:
I don’t think the bathrooms would be closed, as construction can take place with bathroom access still available.
I'm thinking they may bring in some trailers, with facilities. It would be almost impossible to renovate these buildings with people walking through, not to mention, I'm sure the restrooms would also be getting a make over, as well.

Old 01-11-2023, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
I'm thinking they may bring in some trailers, with facilities. It would be almost impossible to renovate these buildings with people walking through, not to mention, I'm sure the restrooms would also be getting a make over, as well.
Good point, as after all, the construction workers need a place to "go" as well.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Quote:
Good point, as after all, the construction workers need a place to "go" as well.
The signs indicate that there are no rest room facilities at closed plazas, but that all gas is open. This is a status chart (link) as to closed and open plazas (link). The chart on the link says "*CLOSED: FOOD and RESTROOMS (Construction)", color changed per TOS from red, reserved for moderators to green.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:51 AM

Quote:
The signs indicate that there are no rest room facilities at closed plazas, but that all gas is open. This is a status chart (link) as to closed and open plazas (link). The chart on the link says "*CLOSED: FOOD and RESTROOMS (Construction)", color changed per TOS from red, reserved for moderators to green.
If that is the case, that may mean that drivers will have to get off at the next exit.

Here is a map where you can view the exits, but if you click on Map Layers, you can add Plazas, Rest Stops, etc: https://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/map/index.html

Old 01-12-2023, 10:31 AM

Quote:
If that is the case, that may mean that drivers will have to get off at the next exit.

Here is a map where you can view the exits, but if you click on Map Layers, you can add Plazas, Rest Stops, etc: https://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/map/index.html
That may be easier said than done.

Those exits are quite far apart and some are exits only to other Interstate highways. Those include but are not limited to exits to the Mass. Turnpike extension (Exit 21-A), Interstate 787 (exit 23), 87 (where it becomes the Northway), I-90, where it becomes a spur road to connect to the Mass. Turnpike (both this exit and the connection to the Northway are exit 24), Interstate 88 (Exit 25-A), Exit 36 (I-81), Exit 46 (connection to I-390), and Exit 47 (connection to I-490), and probably others. Most of the other exits do not have any usable facilities close to those exits. For example, Exit 17, connecting to I-84, does have some local access, but that is a pretty desolate area. Access at other areas is awkward.

The exits are often far apart, which is why plazas were built in the first place. The distance between exits 40 and 41, 39 and 40, 34 and 34-A, 30 and 31, 29 and 29-A are forbidding. Are people supposed to take care of their needs in the woods?

Last edited by jbgusa; 01-12-2023 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York