Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2023, 02:19 PM

6 posts, read 14,780 times

Advertisements

I own a single rental property, a duplex, and one tenant decided to stop paying rent back in August and applied to ERAP in September. At the time, the program wasn't even funded enough to cover this period of time. A couple of updates later and now the program is funded up to the end of October, however I still have not gotten paid. This situation has completely devastated my ability to lead a normal life. I've had to get a part time 2nd job on top of my primary full time job just to keep afloat and I still have nothing left over to pay for anything that isn't the mortgages or basic necessities. Meanwhile, I have occasional large expenses, such as a boiler repair in my own home and recent college fees, that are just going on the credit card, making my credit card debt soar.

The weird thing is, nobody seems to be talking about it. I know there are plenty of horror stories from much earlier in ERAP's history, but as far as I can find, there are no recent posts on internet forums about this broken program, there's no recent news except about how the application portal will soon close, and there's no recent Youtube videos about it. I'm just trying to find relevant advice somewhere or at least a clue on when I can expect payment, but it seems like the rest of the world no longer things about ERAP.

Is anyone else here currently affected by ERAP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2023, 06:03 PM

5,709 posts, read 4,100,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dathrow View Post
I own a single rental property, a duplex, and one tenant decided to stop paying rent back in August and applied to ERAP in September. At the time, the program wasn't even funded enough to cover this period of time. A couple of updates later and now the program is funded up to the end of October, however I still have not gotten paid. This situation has completely devastated my ability to lead a normal life. I've had to get a part time 2nd job on top of my primary full time job just to keep afloat and I still have nothing left over to pay for anything that isn't the mortgages or basic necessities. Meanwhile, I have occasional large expenses, such as a boiler repair in my own home and recent college fees, that are just going on the credit card, making my credit card debt soar.

The weird thing is, nobody seems to be talking about it. I know there are plenty of horror stories from much earlier in ERAP's history, but as far as I can find, there are no recent posts on internet forums about this broken program, there's no recent news except about how the application portal will soon close, and there's no recent Youtube videos about it. I'm just trying to find relevant advice somewhere or at least a clue on when I can expect payment, but it seems like the rest of the world no longer things about ERAP.

Is anyone else here currently affected by ERAP?
Sorry about your problems. I'm a landlord too. I've never heard of ERAP. None the less, you will have some huge write off's this year

Old 01-12-2023, 08:00 AM

If you don't live in NY, I would not be surprised if you have not heard of ERAP. If you do live in NY and haven't heard of ERAP, I don't know whether to consider you lucky or consider me supremely unlucky. I haven't even been a landlord for much more than a year. I feel like being at the tail end of the program is the worst time to be involved because with no one seems to be talking about it which puts less pressure on the government to improve the situation.

Old 01-12-2023, 08:17 AM

Quote:
If you don't live in NY, I would not be surprised if you have not heard of ERAP. If you do live in NY and haven't heard of ERAP, I don't know whether to consider you lucky or consider me supremely unlucky. I haven't even been a landlord for much more than a year. I feel like being at the tail end of the program is the worst time to be involved because with no one seems to be talking about it which puts less pressure on the government to improve the situation.
Ok, I guess I have heard about it. It just hasn't had any effect on my situation. I carefully screen my tenants and have never had an issue.

Old 01-14-2023, 07:52 AM

I am looking forward to the day when I can screen my tenants. In the meantime, I'm stuck with the one that came with the house when I bought it. There were zero red flags about him while the purchase proceedings occurred.

Old 01-14-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
I am looking forward to the day when I can screen my tenants. In the meantime, I'm stuck with the one that came with the house when I bought it. There were zero red flags about him while the purchase proceedings occurred.
Sorry about your problems. NYS hates landlords. They are even trying to pass legislation that you can NOT screen potential tenants. Crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York